Transiting @ Bangkok airports

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Transiting @ Bangkok airports

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:51 am

Transit via Thailand requirements below, pre-flight PCR test OR Vaccination Card/Certificate, and $20k insurance cover, current requirements below

Anyone actually tried to transit with just proof of vaccination plus insurance? The info graphic is from the CAAT website, but there's also another one without the 'OR proof of vaccination' exception.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Transiting @ Bangkok airports

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

That is the most current, and correct, version which was released on 1st March and supersedes the one that doesn't say "OR" (which also states $50,000 Insurance - this version is $20,000). I transited BKK on the 16th March, and Bangkok Airways check-in staff confirmed that it was either pre-flight PCR test OR Vaccination Certificate for transit, but you still need to meet the requirements of any additional transit destinations and your final destination, I needed PCR test for my final destination, so it was required by Bangkok Airways to allow me to board and transit BKK.

I always advise people to confirm directly with the airlines (not what is stated on their website, the websites are often displaying outdated info) though as to which criteria they are applying to avoid disappointment.

Will most likely change again on April 1st anyway, as Thailand have announced no pre-flight PCR testing required for entry into Thailand with effect 1st April (see below)

P.S. You should know by now that I conduct thorough due diligence prior to posting anything related to travelling, Immigration policies, etc. ;)
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

I always appreciate and value PSD-Kiwis posts on these subjects. I am in the same boat in a few weeks time and do have an appointment with Pasteur Institute which I rather cancel if it is no longer necessary. Saves time, hassle, a trip into PP and $80.

I found the information posted as well, did reach out to the airline (KLM) to double-check. I only got referred to their website https://klm.traveldoc.aero/ (which stated for months that VOA was possible on PNH when that certainly was not the case). Latest reply: contact the local authorities, we cannot give you advice. Useless... YMMV if you travel with a different airline - KLM not so much.

Link to the document PSD-Kiwi posted: https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploa ... -TH-EN.pdf
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

I did transit in Bangkok in January and already back then insurance + proof of vaccination was enough.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:46 pm I did transit in Bangkok in January and already back then insurance + proof of vaccination was enough.
In January, even February, PCR Test most certainly was still mandatory for transit through Thailand, if you somehow managed to transit without then you got lucky.

It's worth noting that there are no checks conducted once you land at BKK, all up to the airlines, so if the airline check-in staff didn't ask to see you're PCR test then they didn't conduct their criteria checks thoroughly, which would surprise me because airlines check-in staff have been anal as fk when it comes to documentation checks over the past 2+ years
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:51 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:46 pm I did transit in Bangkok in January and already back then insurance + proof of vaccination was enough.
In January, even February, PCR Test most certainly was still mandatory for transit through Thailand, if you somehow managed to transit without then you got lucky.

It's worth noting that there are no checks conducted once you land at BKK, all up to the airlines, so if the airline check-in staff didn't ask to see you're PCR test then they didn't conduct their criteria checks thoroughly, which would surprise me because airlines check-in staff have been anal as fk when it comes to documentation checks over the past 2+ years
100% sure it was not mandatory. In January the official way was EITHER proof of vaccination OR PCR test 72 hours prior departure for international transit. The transit time couldn't be more than 12 hours. I asked this on 7th January from Turkish Airlines and Bangkok Airways customer service. I still have the email from Bangkok Airways. This is extract from the Bangkok Airways' email, which I believe was copy from some official Thai department as I saw this same exact text on Thai Airways' website back then:
Please note that all required documents, including those in digital format, must be presented at check-in and to the relevant immigration authorities:

1. Printed COVID-19 test with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure. Passengers under the age of 6 are exempt from the pre-departure testing requirement for transiting in Bangkok.
OR
A certificate of full vaccination against COVID-19 for more than 14 days before the travel date, with a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization or the Ministry of Public Health of Thailand

2. Travel health insurance policy (worldwide or including Thailand) covering health care and treatment expenses for COVID-19, for no less than 50,000 USD.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:facepalm: My apologies @rogerrabbit, you are absolutely correct - I was confusing Thailand transit restrictions with Cambodia's entry restrictions , PCR test was still required for entry into Cambodia, so if transiting BKK en-route to Cambodia it was mandatory (it's been a long day) :D If you were transiting BKK en-route to a destination which didn't require a PCR test, then it wouldn't have been required for transit.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:55 pm That is the most current, and correct, version which was released on 1st March and supersedes the one that doesn't say "OR" (which also states $50,000 Insurance - this version is $20,000). I transited BKK on the 16th March, and Bangkok Airways check-in staff confirmed that it was either pre-flight PCR test OR Vaccination Certificate for transit, but you still need to meet the requirements of any additional transit destinations and your final destination, I needed PCR test for my final destination, so it was required by Bangkok Airways to allow me to board and transit BKK.
Thanks! The CAAT website confused me, from there 'announcement page' they liked to the old picture yesterday (without the OR, but it looks like they fixed it.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Thanks guys, I was mainly worried whether "OR" would be interpreted correctly by the airline staff in Pochentong acting as gatekeeper to check your documents.

As Thailand scrapped the pre-flight PCR test requirement even for entry into the country since yesterday I doubt it will be an issue for transit passengers.

From 1 April, 2022, international arrivals under any of the current three entry schemes – TEST & GO, Sandbox, and Alternative Quarantine (AQ) – will be allowed to enter Thailand without the need to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test within 72 hours of travel.

https://www.tatnews.org/
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501050845/ ... n-thailand
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Updated with effect 07th April 2022...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic