Good moto repair shop needed in Phnom Penh (Apr 2022)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Good moto repair shop needed in Phnom Penh (Apr 2022)

Post by Freightdog »

Good moto repair shop needed (Apr 2022)

The other half’s people carrier, a Honda Scooby type thing has died. Again…

The Khmer description is something like ‘the motor runs, but no ga’!’
I think she’s actually trying to convey that it starts and runs, but there’s no drive, which implies a gearbox type problem. However, I’m 6000miles away, so I can’t tell for sure, and the Khmer equivalent of FUBAR escapes me right now.

The bike is in Toul Sangkae, it was last attended to by a ‘repair shop’ in Phsar Chas, in the last couple of weeks, but it’s packed in again.
Is there anyone on these pages that is good with these things, or can recommend someone who could take a look, give a realistic opinion, take it away and bring it back fixed?
Ideally without replacing more components than would comprise a new moto.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Good moto repair shop needed in Phnom Penh (Apr 2022)

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:45 pm Good moto repair shop needed (Apr 2022)

I think she’s actually trying to convey that it starts and runs, but there’s no drive, which implies a gearbox type problem. However, I’m 6000miles away, so I can’t tell for sure, and the Khmer equivalent of FUBAR escapes me right now.

The bike is in Toul Sangkae, it was last attended to by a ‘repair shop’ in Phsar Chas, in the last couple of weeks, but it’s packed in again.
Is there anyone on these pages that is good with these things, or can recommend someone who could take a look, give a realistic opinion, take it away and bring it back fixed?
Most likely it's the drive belt. $10 incl labour at pretty much any shed

Can't recommend anybody in particular
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:56 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:45 pm Good moto repair shop needed (Apr 2022)

Problem is, it’s been fixed twice, and lasts about 2-3 weeks before leaving her stranded. She’s about as mechanically adept as our 3 year old, who knows how to take things apart permanently, and equally about as communicative when something irks her.

PS. I do agree with your assessment. I just suspect that she’s managed to choose just the wrong singer sewing machine service centre…
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:03 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:56 pm

Problem is, it’s been fixed twice, and lasts about 2-3 weeks before leaving her stranded. She’s about as mechanically adept as our 3 year old, who knows how to take things apart permanently, and equally about as communicative when something irks her.

PS. I do agree with your assessment. I just suspect that she’s managed to choose just the wrong singer sewing machine service centre…
I do know a Vietnamese mechanic who I used regard as the best for small bikes but haven't used him since 2019 as not in PP often - not far from toul sanke on the grey pin I dropped in this pic on lhs as you head north. Good work and good prices

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s worth a try, thanks. I’ll pass it along. It would be about a10-15 minute walk for me. (I’d say it’s a short moto ride for her, but I’d likely be in trouble for suggesting it.)
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

There's a foreigner guy in Phnom Penh Thmey that helped get my Scoopy going after a total engine failure a few months ago. Stand up guy.

However like other Khmer I've talked to, the bike had problems again unrelated to the work so honestly, I think Scoopys are totally shit bikes to begin with. I'm the 3rd or 4th person I know who has complained about their Scoopy always breaking down. Either that, or the previous mechanics messed it up so bad that trying to get it fixed was a lost cause at that point.

Anyway, St. 1968 or 1986 (very short backroad street, only a handful of houses on it), but there's no sign outside so you have to look for the house with a couple Khmer guys and himself working on a bunch of motos. All I remember is that the house had a big orange gate outside.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Scoopy’s sound like a tin of nails starting up. Totally overpriced shit boxes.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic