Bushmasters to Ukraine

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Bushmasters to Ukraine

Post by Woody »

Whoo hoo the Australian government is sending FOUR Bushmaster APC's to Ukraine. Thats going to help to stem the Russian invasion.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Bushmasters to Ukraine

Post by violet »

Woody wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:16 pm Whoo hoo the Australian government is sending FOUR Bushmaster APC's to Ukraine. Thats going to help to stem the Russian invasion.
Anything extra will be a help. Many items have been asked for.

Why don’t they just give them fighter jets or something? How does a bushmaster pass muster but a fighter jet does not?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

That's what they asked for.

Volodymyr Zelenskyy asks for Australian Bushmaster armoured vehicles in address to federal parliament
Posted Thu 31 Mar 2022 at 4:47pm, updated Thu 31 Mar 2022 at 9:27pm

"Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has urged Australia to help arm his country and send Bushmaster armoured vehicles to help his forces fight against Russia.

"For example you have very good armoured personnel vehicles, Bushmasters, that could help Ukraine substantially, and other pieces of equipment that could strengthen our position in terms of armament."

"If you have an opportunity to share this with us we would be very grateful.""

The Bushmaster is used as a troop carrier, patrol vehicle, weapons deployment platform and ambulance.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-31/ ... /100956534
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Same thing ?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

violet wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:48 pm
Woody wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:16 pm Whoo hoo the Australian government is sending FOUR Bushmaster APC's to Ukraine. Thats going to help to stem the Russian invasion.

Why don’t they just give them fighter jets or something? How does a bushmaster pass muster but a fighter jet does not?

Yea, should give them one of the nuclear powered subs Oz is building..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A Bushmaster is basically just a big armored truck. Pretty much anyone could figure out how to drive one. Not saying they'd be the best drivers, but most could manage without crashing. They cost about $500,000. They are also what could be considered non-lethal aid, which is import and as far as diplomacy goes.
With modern fighter jets things are a bit more complex. As far as I know pilots take years to train. They are also ridiculously expensive and need very specific maintenance facilities.
The Ukraine air force uses Soviet models, so the only supply of aircraft that makes sense is those types, there are plenty still around eastern Europe but I would not expect all are serviceable.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:39 pm That's what they asked for.

Volodymyr Zelenskyy asks for Australian Bushmaster armoured vehicles in address to federal parliament
Posted Thu 31 Mar 2022 at 4:47pm, updated Thu 31 Mar 2022 at 9:27pm

"Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has urged Australia to help arm his country and send Bushmaster armoured vehicles to help his forces fight against Russia.

"For example you have very good armoured personnel vehicles, Bushmasters, that could help Ukraine substantially, and other pieces of equipment that could strengthen our position in terms of armament."

"If you have an opportunity to share this with us we would be very grateful.""

The Bushmaster is used as a troop carrier, patrol vehicle, weapons deployment platform and ambulance.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-31/ ... /100956534
I'd never heard of Timoney before:
In early 1996, Perry Engineering produced a prototype Bushmaster based on an Irish designed Timoney Technologies MP44
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timoney_T ... of_Ireland

https://tinyurl.com/3ruj9fua
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

A part of me (not objective) wants there to be more direct involvement, but you have to be careful what you wish for.

Dependent upon where from, and how military aid is delivered, there is a risk of other countries being brought in, and directly targeted.
A vehicle, as mentioned, is one thing, but providing aircraft a completely different issue. They can’t simply be handed over. Changing identification isn’t a quick paint job. Technical differences between what seem to be the same aircraft type can be huge, requiring significant amounts of training. That training would need to be delivered by qualified personnel. The presence of foreign military, and directly assisting, not just advising, could have consequences far beyond the borders of the conflict as it exists now. At present, this is just a regional, small but nasty conflict; I’m not trying to down play it.
Drag a NATO country into this, and it could have the potential of being European wide. History has two of those in its books already.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Appreciate the feedback.
I had thought the vehicles would cross into the lethal aid category but I see now that it’s just a people carrier as far as anyone else is concerned.

I was aware that lethal weapon involvement would shift up from third to fifth gear.
As I already (wrongly) thought the bushmaster could be considered lethal, I thought why stop there ? Give them some jets too.

Yeah, pretty stupid of me to forget that someone in Ukraine would need to have done the training to fly any aircraft provided (an important detail).

Thanks for not treating me like the class idiot when pointing out the obvious
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

violet wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:04 pm Appreciate the feedback.
I had thought the vehicles would cross into the lethal aid category but I see now that it’s just a people carrier as far as anyone else is concerned.

I was aware that lethal weapon involvement would shift up from third to fifth gear.
As I already (wrongly) thought the bushmaster could be considered lethal, I thought why stop there ? Give them some jets too.

Yeah, pretty stupid of me to forget that someone in Ukraine would need to have done the training to fly any aircraft provided (an important detail).

Thanks for not treating me like the class idiot when pointing out the obvious
I wouldn’t say stupid. It’s a reasonable question, but the consequences could easily be overlooked in the immediate effort to do something.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic