Officials Disciplined in Driver's License Corruption Scandal

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Officials Disciplined in Driver's License Corruption Scandal

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Test-free driver’s licences land officials in hot water
Long Kimmarita | Publication date 02 September 2021 | 20:52 ICT

A top transport official in Svay Rieng province was forced into early retirement while some others faced disciplinary measures for issuing driver’s licences to people who had not taken the required driving test.

The disciplinary measures taken by Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol came after the Svay Rieng Provincial Administration set up a council in July to investigate the corruption cases.

The officials were referred to Chanthol last month after it was determined that they were guilty of professional misconduct.

The ministry then issued a statement on September 2 stating that Prum Pho – director of the provincial transport department and also chairman of the province’s driving licence committee – had agreed to retire from the civil service effective September 1.

“[Pho] must appear at the National Social Security Fund for civil servants or the National Social Security Fund Office for civil servants in Svay Rieng province to update their thumb prints in order to receive a monthly pension from September 1 onwards,” the statement said.

In addition to Pho, 10 other transport officials in the province who served on the driving licence committee were given first and second degree disciplinary punishments because they were either involved in committing the offence directly or were being held responsible for what occurred indirectly because their negligence towards their duties allowed it to take place.

Svay Rieng provincial deputy governor Euk Sovan Phearak, who was charged with investigating the case, told The Post on September 2 that the officials were guilty of issuing driver’s licences to people improperly by allowing them to skip the driving test.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -hot-water
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Officials Disciplined in Driver's License Corruption Scandal

Post by Anchor Moy »

:shock: Surprise!
Not the paying for permit, but the fact that this is no longer acceptable. One step forward for road safety ?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

When do the competent authorities end the practice of forcing applicants to take the driving test in the tester’s vehicle, not allowing seat changes or mirror adjustments before testing? Then offering applications the ‘option’ (for a small donation, of course) of practicing, before the test, where the examiner coaches the applicant on how to drive that car. Messed up mirrors and all.

This is a good first step. Hopefully more will be done.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

lol
I had to pay to pass my driving test 50 years ago and many people still do in Oz today.

SA driving examiner jailed for six years
https://www.portnews.com.au/story/59570 ... six-years/
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

I failed mine in Germany twice about 20 years ago. Autobahn was all good but I wrecked the test in the CBD. Was too nervous with all the robotic precision of other drivers. A Vorfahrt faux pas at a roundabout bagged me the fail.

Finally aced it the third time but not without paying more for practice runs.

Did the whole nine yards here (a quick course and the test) for the 10 year licence.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

duran wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:46 am I failed mine in Germany twice about 20 years ago. Autobahn was all good but I wrecked the test in the CBD. Was too nervous with all the robotic precision of other drivers. A Vorfahrt faux pas at a roundabout bagged me the fail.

Finally aced it the third time but not without paying more for practice runs.

Did the whole nine yards here (a quick course and the test) for the 10 year licence.
You're over qualified for Cambodian traffic.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

From the girlfriend's experience about 5 years ago, if you did not pay extra (think it was 20$) you fail the written test automatically and have to try again a week later and then you pass. A lady paid 20$ without even tetsting and let an employee there punch in her pass code.
As for the driving test, you had to pay 10,000 riel at each testing section...maybe 4 sections...or you would not pass....That was how it worked here.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

My Thai missus and her friend kept failing the test in Perth. Luckily they found a copper in the bush who gave them licences for two cartons each.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Asked a Khmer-American friend of mine about this awhile back. If remember, he said they have someone translate for him. I think he said they also gave him the answers. I assumed they would have the test in
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic