Deputy Chief of Mines Department Accused of US$500K Theft

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Deputy Chief of Mines Department Accused of US$500K Theft

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): In Phnom Penh on March 31, 2022, Chin Leakena, a 35-year-old female deputy chief of the revenue management department of the Ministry of Mines and Energy, was arrested and accused of stealing over 500,000USD.
The suspect was arrested at Street19, village 3, Sangkat Chey Chomneas, Khan Daun Penh, and she is being held in custody for further investigation before the trial.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Deputy Chief of Mines Department Accused of US$500K Theft

Post by IraHayes »

How i read this...

The deputy chief pocketed back handers meant for the chief.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah, I noticed that the ministry of mines and energy (always packed with fancy cars) is closed now, probably relocating. I'm guessing the state sold the land...again? I keep wondering what will happen to the building/location and whether or not it was sold to private "investors" as is often the case.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:54 am Yeah, I noticed that the ministry of mines and energy (always packed with fancy cars) is closed now, probably relocating. I'm guessing the state sold the land...again? I keep wondering what will happen to the building/location and whether or not it was sold to private "investors" as is often the case.
Isn’t that normal with governments in any country with high value land and they often sell it with a long term lease agreement, never outright. Just like the old (and new) location of the London US embassy, which was sold by the US to a Qatari group.

Same with any large corporation. ABA sold their old SHV location to Singaporean investors on a 50 year lease. They’re now down by the golden lion.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It might make sense in a city where there are plenty of existing parks and other public facilities for citizens to enjoy, but doesn't really look good in a country already crippled with internal corruption and severely lacking in public space, with literally no real park to speak of for a population of over 2M... When it comes to urban planning in Phnom Penh, the lack of foresight has been staggering. They have other means of raising capital now.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic