Bread.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bread.

Post by John Bingham »

I was just wondering which one would make someone smarter. For vegans there is always braised gluten duck.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:05 pm I was just wondering which one would make someone smarter. For vegans there is always braised gluten duck.

I so much wonder what that stuff looks like once you empty the can on a plate
work is for people who cant find truffles
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

truffledog wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:04 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:05 pm I was just wondering which one would make someone smarter. For vegans there is always braised gluten duck.

I so much wonder what that stuff looks like once you empty the can on a plate
Some things in life are best left a mystery
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

"Going gluten free is not a choice, it's not a fad, it's not a flaky lifestyle.
It is the ONLY way to treat Celiac disease."

The second sentence may be true but the first is not. All these people who have jumped on the gluten free bandwagon cannot all possibly be suffering from Celiac. I do not have any hard numbers but if I had to guess I'd bet 90% of people asking for gluten free this and gluten free that have no reason to be on a gluten free diet other than a fad or yes being "flakey". Irritating assholes most of them. At least many vegans are such for moral reasons (and yes, some do it as a "fad" too).

Look at the packaging on many products that advertise gluten free. Mainly because the product in question never had any gluten to begin with!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

johnny lightning wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:19 am
Look at the packaging on many products that advertise gluten free. Mainly because the product in question never had any gluten to begin with!
Really? Are you sure about that?
What products in particular are you referring to?

Often, when they list an ingredient such as "thickener," it's hidden gluten.

But you're obviously the expert though, please share your wealth of knowledge.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

While some products would naturally be gluten-free, they could have been handled in the same facility as gluten-containing products leading to cross-contamination.
I see some benefit in labeling naturally gluten-free products as "gluten-free" to address that.

"The legal standard for gluten-free food in the United States is for the food to contain "less than 20 parts per million of gluten.
Foods that meet this legal standard contain less than 0.002% gluten."

https://www.verywellfit.com/what-does-p ... ean-562490

According to this article even 0.002% gluten can be a problem for some sufferers, so while the labeling is certainly helpful it ain't perfect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic