Convert EB visa to Tourist (or similar) visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Convert EB visa to Tourist (or similar) visa

Post by MarkVNCB »

Hello,

I’ve had two one-year EB visas (with work permit). The second of which will soon expire.
I don’t wish renew my EB visa, but I am hoping I can convert it to another type of visa, such as a tourist visa.
I’ll be leaving Cambodia in the next 3-6 months so this is the approximate period I would need the new visa to cover.

I’m wondering if I can do this, and if so a) what it would cost, and b) if I would have to exit the country to renew.

Thanks in advance!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Convert EB visa to Tourist (or similar) visa

Post by mannanman »

Why don’t you just convert to a 3 month EB?
Can’t convert EB to T only ER, and possibly EG.
People of the world, spice up your life.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

- You cannot convert an E-type Visa EOS to a T-type (Tourist) Visa.
- You cannot convert an EB (Business) EOS to an EG (General) EOS, but you can convert it to an ER (Retirement) EOS or ES (Student) EOS if you meet the criteria
- Your best option is to just apply for another 3 or 6 month EB EOS, even if you don't have the necessary business/employment related supporting documentation most Visa agents can facilitate for you.
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarkVNCB »

My work permit and EB visa are not synched.
My work permit has already expired (31 December 2021) and my EB visa expires next month.

So, if I extended my EB visa, for 3 months say, I would also need to renew my work permit.
That would mean @ $150 for my work permit plus whatever it costs for a 3-month extension of my EB visa.

Thanks.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@MarkVNCB don't bother renewing your WP if not working, if your Visa agent tells you that it is required, tell them you are applying/have already applied for it yourself online or directly at the MoLVT, you will not be asked to present your WP to Immigration when you leave the country, nothing to worry about.

3 Month EOS should only cost about $90, 6 month EOS appx $180, +/- depending on the agency you use.
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarkVNCB »

@PSD-Kiwi – thanks! This is starting to look better.

I will do as you suggest.
Just one thing: I checked receipts from my visa agent for previous years.
They included, ‘company document’ $150 + work permit $230 (total $380). From this, I guess you can see how I went about this.
So, question is – when I tell my visa agent that I’ve already applied for my work permit at the MoLVT – will the above raise any red flags (for my visa agent)?

Thanks, again.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@MarkVNCB, haha yes I can see how you went about obtaining your EB EOS, in that case just use a different Visa agent, if you use the same agent then they will definitely try and force you to apply for and pay for WP, shop around.

However I will say this, if you ever plan on returning to Cambodia again and working, then you may as well apply for this years WP, or else you will have to pay retroactive fees for this years WP when/if you ever apply for a new WP.
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarkVNCB »

@PSD-Kiwi – Okay, a different agent it is.

Not planning on returning, but will have to pay up if I do.

Thanks! 😊
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Question:

If I enter Cambodia and obtain an ordinarily visa on August 1st, then about 10 days later apply for a 1-year ER extension, will the ER extension be valid for one year from the date it was applied for on, say August 11th, or one year after the ordinary visa expires, August 30th?

I’ve only traveled to one country before, Laos, that I needed a Visa, and never applied for an extension.

Yes I know I screwed up and asked this question on the wrong thread.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Kenr, your EOS will be valid for 12 months from the date the Visa expires, giving you a total of 13 months.

You can then apply for your next EOS within 1 month of expiry, same as above applies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic