Thailand, once the backpackers’ paradise, now looks for five-star tourists

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand, once the backpackers’ paradise, now looks for five-star tourists

Post by Big Daikon »

So, who are these high-end tourists? Chinese millionaires, I'm guessing.

Do rich westerners hang out in Thailand? I stay at cheaper hotels, so I don't see them.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
More from the original article. It was so long I was maybe too selective in the OP post.
The question, even with a focus on big spenders from abroad, is how they can do that.

Chinese travellers, who previously accounted for more than a quarter of all foreign tourists in Thailand, aren’t coming back in a meaningful capacity yet because of hard border rules in their country.

Now, as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, another major overseas market for Thailand is in danger of being obliterated. More Russians flew to Thailand in February, but many are now feeling the impact of international financial sanctions. About 6500 Russians were stranded in Phuket, Surat Thani, Krabi and Pattaya without access to cash, according to Thai authorities this week, and with flights also being cancelled, few more are expected to arrive any time soon.

Saudi solution?
One avenue to boost Thailand’s international tourism recovery is a focus on India, with whom it has launched an air travel bubble.

Another new target, following the settling of a decades-long diplomatic feud, is Saudi Arabia. Relations between Bangkok and Riyadh fell apart in 1989 when a Thai cleaner stole $US20 million ($27.8 million) worth of jewels from a Saudi prince and fled the country. Three Saudi diplomats and a businessman were then killed in Thailand while trying to recover the stolen valuables in what was dubbed the Blue Diamond Affair.

Ties were restored in January during a visit to Saudi Arabia by Prayut and direct flights have also resumed after more than 30 years.

Saudis renting super yachts in Thailand are known to splash out hundreds of dollars just to have a loaf of bread delivered to them on a speed boat, so they certainly fit the government’s bill when it comes to high rollers.

Siripakorn says the average Saudi tourist spends more than $4000 per trip in Thailand - more than double the average for other foreigners - and the resumption of bilateral relations is anticipated to deliver a significant lift in numbers, helping fill part of the void left by the Chinese.

But it is Thai travellers as much as anyone who he says the government is banking on while international tourism gets back on its feet.

“Our aim for this year doesn’t rely on one single market,” he says.

“The back-up plan is not international travellers. In 2019, two-thirds of the revenue came from overseas tourists, one third from the domestic tourists. This year we are going to stimulate more domestic travel, more domestic consumption. Our target for this year is a 50-50 spread on revenue.”
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Thanks for that.

Saudi tourists surprised me a bit. Thought many of them chose Indonesia and Malaysia as they are majority Muslim nations.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:31 am
Alex wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 am The idiocy isn't trying to attract more wealthy tourists, that's perfectly fine. The idiocy is that they seriously believe they can attract them in outlandish numbers, often insinuating that they then won't need to be catering to anyone else anymore.

At the end of the day, greed will win again, as it always does. If and when there are masses of (less wealthy) tourists who are eager to visit Thailand once again, all that talk about abandoning mass tourism will be out of the window and they'll just cash in on it again.
My home base will be located in Cambodia. I would like to make trips to Thailand as a tourist BUT will not go until they drop the insurance requirements for tourists, which I don’t know if they ever will, and they open their bars back up to normal operating hours.
If I was a tourist, it would be the Covid tests upon and after arrival that would deter me from visiting. I'm surprised you've mentioned insurance, as that's just an almost negligible extra cost (650 baht for the cheapest insurance policy accepted or thereabouts). The quarantine risk after a positive test, on the other hand, is another beast entirely.

The operating hours suck, no question about that. Nonsensical control freakery.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Alex wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:16 am
Alex wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:10 am The idiocy isn't trying to attract more wealthy tourists, that's perfectly fine. The idiocy is that they seriously believe they can attract them in outlandish numbers, often insinuating that they then won't need to be catering to anyone else anymore.

At the end of the day, greed will win again, as it always does. If and when there are masses of (less wealthy) tourists who are eager to visit Thailand once again, all that talk about abandoning mass tourism will be out of the window and they'll just cash in on it again.
My home base will be located in Cambodia. I would like to make trips to Thailand as a tourist BUT will not go until they drop the insurance requirements for tourists, which I don’t know if they ever will, and they open their bars back up to normal operating hours.
If I was a tourist, it would be the Covid tests upon and after arrival that would deter me from visiting. I'm surprised you've mentioned insurance, as that's just an almost negligible extra cost (650 baht for the cheapest insurance policy accepted or thereabouts). The quarantine risk after a positive test, on the other hand, is another beast entirely.

I have no intention of going to Thailand while the testing is still going on, but I think the Covid testing for tourist will eventually stop in Thailand, especially since Cambodia has stopped all testing, but that will probably depend on what their tourist numbers are within the next few months. I understand that the cost for the insurance is minimal, but on the flip side I have read where someone did test positive on arrival, in Cambodia, and the Forte Insurance paid less than 20% of the total tab, if I remember the story correctly the insurance only paid $3k of an $18k bill. Now that’s just a story, so it may or may not be true.

I don’t think it will be insurance just for Covid, I think it will be for health insurance, just like for the OA Visa. I may be wrong, but I think it’s too much of a money maker for them now and they see it, just like the multiple tests after arrival now, too much money for them to stop cold turkey, unless they accept the fact that it is hurting the influx of tourist.

Now on the other hand, when they were converting the Tourist Visa to an ER extension in Cambodia, I would have purchased a 30-day Forte Insurance policy, just in case. But that wouldn’t have been for a holiday trip for me, it would have been for a permanent move.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:49 am

I have no intention of going to Thailand while the testing is still going on, but I think the Covid testing for tourist will eventually stop in Thailand, especially since Cambodia has stopped all testing, but that will probably depend on what their tourist numbers are within the next few months. I understand that the cost for the insurance is minimal, but on the flip side I have read where someone did test positive on arrival, in Cambodia, and the Forte Insurance paid less than 20% of the total tab, if I remember the story correctly the insurance only paid $3k of an $18k bill. Now that’s just a story, so it may or may not be true.

I don’t think it will be insurance just for Covid, I think it will be for health insurance, just like for the OA Visa. I may be wrong, but I think it’s too much of a money maker for them now and they see it, just like the multiple tests after arrival now, too much money for them to stop cold turkey, unless they accept the fact that it is hurting the influx of tourist.

Now on the other hand, when they were converting the Tourist Visa to an ER extension in Cambodia, I would have purchased a 30-day Forte Insurance policy, just in case. But that wouldn’t have been for a holiday trip for me, it would have been for a permanent move.
I think everyone going to those Countries wants all restrictions removed because the problem is if you test Positive, then there are potential issues that are not entirely clear.
Tourists want none of that Worry. Most will wait.
Cambodia seems way ahead which is good. Thailand is charging a entry Tax soon that is supposed to include a basic type insurance anyway.

Btw, I don't understand the Thai Authority derogatory comments regarding Backpackers and nature. I would say the "Modernization" of Thai areas of beauty, to suit the wealthier, have potentially caused more damage to the natural environment.
Most old school backpackers were happy living in the more natural, authentic environment of Thailand.
More than just any old backpacker.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

snookieboi wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:40 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:49 am

I think everyone going to those Countries wants all restrictions removed because the problem is if you test Positive, then there are potential issues that are not entirely clear.
Tourists want none of that Worry. Most will wait.
Cambodia seems way ahead which is good. Thailand is charging a entry Tax soon that is supposed to include a basic type insurance anyway.

Btw, I don't understand the Thai Authority derogatory comments regarding Backpackers and nature. I would say the "Modernization" of Thai areas of beauty, to suit the wealthier, have potentially caused more damage to the natural environment.
Most old school backpackers were happy living in the more natural, authentic environment of Thailand.
Yes, we all want things to get back to normal, whatever that may be. Simplicity makes life easy, LOL.

The entry tax that you mentioned that has been delayed, they claimed originally that it was going to go towards insurance because of the money they lose when individuals skip out on payments for medical treatment, but I was reading that now the money they will be getting from this additional tax, only a very small portion will be going to the health industry. Apparently the delay is being caused because they haven’t decided on how to collect this tax, collect it on arrival or coordinate with the airlines to include it in their plane ticket. Have to wait and see.

Anyway, love the place, have to respect the government and their decisions, it is their country, hopefully can get back there soon without all the red tape.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I had no idea about the 11pm closing requirement in Thailand. That is great news, would be nice if they keep that permanently. I imagine that is the type of measure that would impact the type of tourists they are getting and discourage some of those they want to avoid.

Getting rid of all the hostess bars altogether would be a significant step in the right direction, more so than the drinking curfew.

Still, given the fact that a Thai holiday is lower cost and there are nice beaches you are still going to get plenty of backpackers. Without the costs increasing significantly that will not change.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It’s not a holiday when everything shuts down at 11:00 pm every night, and it will affect their GDP if it becomes the norm. And from my experience in Thai mentality, when business slows down instead of lowering prices to attract more customers, they raise prices to make up for lost business. But if there are no additional customers to attract, prices will not stay the same, it will increase.

That’s why I love Las Vegas, not for the gambling but because you can do whatever you want 24/7.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Kenr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:24 pm It’s not a holiday when everything shuts down at 11:00 pm every night, and it will affect their GDP if it becomes the norm. And from my experience in Thai mentality, when business slows down instead of lowering prices to attract more customers, they raise prices to make up for lost business. But if there are no additional customers to attract, prices will not stay the same, it will increase.

That’s why I love Las Vegas, not for the gambling but because you can do whatever you want 24/7.
Thailand becomes nice when you are on an island where they give a fcuk about curfew and other laws. There is a few of those places left fortunately.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic