Buying a motorcycle (and staying the right side of the law)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Buying a motorcycle (and staying the right side of the law)

Post by AndyKK »

Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:39 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:54 pm
Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:03 am What's the deal with buying/owning a bike in the Kingdom? I read up about Vietnam, it seemed a bit complicated for foreigners, if you wanted to go by the book.

Also, how stealy are the locals, I mean it surely can't be any worse than London...or can it? (I hide my bike in a garage here)
Very, and in broad daylight too.
Ok good to know. I doubt they're using acid and machetes though, which is a plus.
Stanley blades and guns.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:03 am What's the deal with buying/owning a bike in the Kingdom? I read up about Vietnam, it seemed a bit complicated for foreigners, if you wanted to go by the book.

Also, how stealy are the locals, I mean it surely can't be any worse than London...or can it? (I hide my bike in a garage here)
It's a piece of piss, especially if staying at 125cc or below; no license needed

The local thieves are opportunistic - if you leave something desirable locked up in an easy to get spot it will go walkies, that said, park it securely for cheap and you will never have a bike nicked
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:43 pm
Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:39 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:54 pm

Very, and in broad daylight too.
Ok good to know. I doubt they're using acid and machetes though, which is a plus.
Stanley blades and guns.
This is not a plus
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am GPS trackers sound good but is there an issue with them draining your battery flat if you don't use the moto for more than a couple of days? I've never used one but I recall reading/ hearing that. Especially now as some motos don't have kick start anymore.
Yes, that is an issue on the ones I’ve purchased and tested.

There are basic steps you can take.
Make sure you’ve got a good battery and if not don’t buy the cheapest battery you can find ($12) go for a higher amp rating, around $20/$25.
Put the GPS in sleep mode. It’ll only wake up if it’s moved, this works ok on a 125 Icon.
Larger bikes don’t have this issue as they generally have larger batteries.

Saying that just getting a new battery works ok. Went away for 1 week and the Icon started (new battery).
Also they have a low battery alert that will message you to warn you.
People of the world, spice up your life.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

mannanman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:08 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am GPS trackers sound good but is there an issue with them draining your battery flat if you don't use the moto for more than a couple of days? I've never used one but I recall reading/ hearing that. Especially now as some motos don't have kick start anymore.
Yes, that is an issue on the ones I’ve purchased and tested.

There are basic steps you can take.
Make sure you’ve got a good battery and if not don’t buy the cheapest battery you can find ($12) go for a higher amp rating, around $20/$25.
Put the GPS in sleep mode. It’ll only wake up if it’s moved, this works ok on a 125 Icon.
Larger bikes don’t have this issue as they generally have larger batteries.

Saying that just getting a new battery works ok. Went away for 1 week and the Icon started (new battery).
Also they have a low battery alert that will message you to warn you.
My Honda CB400SS has a battery conversion to two Lithium-ion

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:45 pm

It's a piece of piss, especially if staying at 125cc or below; no license needed

The local thieves are opportunistic - if you leave something desirable locked up in an easy to get spot it will go walkies, that said, park it securely for cheap and you will never have a bike nicked
I would still like to question your quote, Jerry Atrick! "It's a piece of piss, especially if staying at 125cc or below; no license needed" Firstly is there any written law saying so? And is therefore a law saying that spiffily that a foreigner doesn't need to hold a Cambodian license for a 125cc or below. If so, would you please post it here.

Licences waived for 125cc motos

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... 25cc-motos

Business Guide: Obtaining a Driving License Cambodia

https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/articles/o ... g-licence/

I was heading to Tol Tom Pong yesterday to get a bit of shopping, but at one of the regular police stops on route, I saw the police officer walk into the heavy slow-moving traffic, he skirted round a few cars and next he was directly in my path, ushering me to the road side. Yes, I had been pulled by the guys in blue. He looked over the bike, pointing to the exhaust system, I compiled with him and asked if they would like to test the decibel output because I knew it was in the legal requirements of the law. I was swiftly asked to go 50 yards to the seated officer, asked promptly for the bike's owners' card, where I was shown a Phnom Penh issued card, my card was issued in Kampong Cham, when I bought the bike new. But according to him the card was illegal. So, the bike was illegal, he told me the bike would be transported to the police compound and then destroyed according to the law. Then he went on to say I was also not following the road traffic law of Cambodia, because I had no driving licence to show him! But officer I have and promptly produced my Cambodian driving licence. 30 minutes or more they held me, then the first officer come grabbed my arm, I was given back my owners card and license, guided to my bike that had been moved 10 yards away, the officer telling me there was a mix up and I was free to go.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic