'Mission impossible': U.N. in Cambodia showed early limits of nation building

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

'Mission impossible': U.N. in Cambodia showed early limits of nation building

Post by down_time »

PHNOM PENH, March 13 (Reuters) - Just over 30 years ago, a crackling radio in a refugee camp on the Thai border brought Sam Sophal word that the United Nations was coming to his war-ravaged homeland of Cambodia.

For Sam Sophal, who survived the Khmer Rouge genocide only because his mother bribed Khmer Rouge executioners with her silver watch, the promise of peace was irresistible.

The U.N. Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC) arrived on March 15, 1992, with great expectations, the first U.N. nation-building operation after the collapse of the Soviet Union sparked hope that democracy would flourish around the world....

...When UNTAC was wound up, it left Cambodia with a fraught political arrangement that was almost bound to go awry.

"UNTAC was the first test," says Sam Sophal, "But they didn't complete the mission."

Now retired after 24 years with the United Nations, Sam Sophal says corruption and nepotism have left Cambodians with no political alternatives.

"People in this country believe in democracy and human rights but who is going to lead them?" he asked.
Full: https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 022-03-13/
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 'Mission impossible': U.N. in Cambodia showed early limits of nation building

Post by John Bingham »

Not a very informative article, it neglects to point out why UNTAC couldn't carry out its mandate - mainly because the PDK decided not to comply with it. It also neglects to mention that the war continued and it wasn't till 1999 that the last remaining DK soldiers surrendered.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 'Mission impossible': U.N. in Cambodia showed early limits of nation building

Post by down_time »

Indeed, but I thought that it might inspire some personal recollections and more nuanced analysis from forum members.

I have friends who were here in the 90's and when I arrived in the 2000's was a little peeved I had missed all the 'action' (a term I would've used then but would not now). Turns out the last 20 or so years have been almost equally (although in a different way) as transformative and certainly fascinating.

It does make you wonder what could've been had certain significant events gone slightly differently...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was here for maybe the last few days of the 90s and a couple of weeks of the new year so I missed all the action. Only moved here permanently in 2005. Always interesting stuff though even if I pretty much missed it all!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Curiously unintelligible "analysis" and rebuttal from the "Khmer Times" today... Do any of you work there?

"Reuters' White Supremacist View on Cambodia"

So, someone believes the desire to promote democracy is merely a charade disguising racism... Is that a new twist, or what?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501042040/ ... -cambodia/
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

orichá wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:19 pm Curiously unintelligible "analysis" and rebuttal from the "Khmer Times" today... Do any of you work there?

"Reuters' White Supremacist View on Cambodia"

So, someone believes the desire to promote democracy is merely a charade disguising racism... Is that a new twist, or what?

Already posted: post538909.html#p538909

by Kuroneko » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:29 am

pootylicious wrote: ↑Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:24 am

A prophecy that foretold of a "god with blue eyes" that would one day bless and restore the land had spread through villages during Cambodia's darkest years.

So when UNTAC arrived with their sky-blue flag and helmets they were seen as an incarnation of that deity, some even painting their homes a U.N. shade of blue, recalled Youk Chhang, executive director of the Documentation Center of Cambodia.

This is incredible! First time I've heard this

Check this out:

Reuters’ White Supremacist View on Cambodia

Reuters wrote an article entitled “‘Mission Impossible’: U.N. in Cambodia Showed Early Limit of Nation Building” on 15 March 2022, arguing that Cambodia’s democracy is sliding backward after heavy investment by the United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC), who failed to remove HE from power.

What is the most disturbing about this article is the sentence that says, “A prophecy that foretold of a “god with blue eyes” that would one day bless and restore the land had spread through villages during Cambodia’s darkest years.”

Thought it was a fair article. I think you have misread or misinterpreted the article.
Last edited by Kuroneko on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Thanks for linking the article here, I hadn't seen it. It is indeed a very strange rebuttal. No name on it, I assume it's T. Mohan who is not a journalist and who can't write anything original, it would explain why it's so unintelligable.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic