Ukraine Refugees

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Ukraine Refugees

Post by mannanman »

Grand Barong wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:11 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:56 pm Query: "Maybe Cambodia can accept some refugees, is there a Ukrainian community here? I will offer to sponsor some refugees as well"

Response: Quick, let's rip this guy to shreds! Let's search his post history and find out how long his visa is, gavinmac showed me! LOL Khmers helping people!

Besides the manaman (sp?) who is an obvious troll, why would that OP be met with such disdain from others? What makes the OP the subject of a gavinmac background check?
"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones GMJS-CEO" :please:
Careful. You can’t diss members, unless you can of course.

Anyone who has a different view or challenges people post is branded a troll. It’s a simpletons rebuke.
And now I’ll be told of for going off topic because it’s my fault as I’m a troll etc etc.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:00 am Do you think it would be a good idea for Cambodia to announce that they would accept a number of refugees from the Ukraine ? Are there any Ukrainian people already living here ?

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and say I would accept a family . Is there a NGO in PP I should contact.
Tootsfriend,

I will reply more specifically to your comments if I may?

No, I don't believe that Cambodia is in a position to responsibly accept Ukrainian refugees into the country, apart from the huge cultural, language and climate differences there is no government support for them even if they were willing or able to flee to Cambodia, as other posters have commented there are numerous better options like Poland, Hungary, Slovakia to name just a few.

You stated that you would "Accept" a family, which is different to "Sponsoring" a family. I imagine someone accepting a family into their home when I read your statement, which due to your visa status & not being a Cambodian citizen would be next to impossible.

You were likely thinking out loud like a moderator has stated when he jumped to your defence, but be prepared to hear others opinions when you post your inner thoughts on a public forum, which I thought this was?

I hope the link below helps you to donate to or sponsor a family as you have mentioned.
https://crisisrelief.un.org/ukraine-crisis

Kindest Regards and wishing you a Great day
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mannanman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:21 pm
Grand Barong wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:11 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:56 pm Query: "Maybe Cambodia can accept some refugees, is there a Ukrainian community here? I will offer to sponsor some refugees as well"

Response: Quick, let's rip this guy to shreds! Let's search his post history and find out how long his visa is, gavinmac showed me! LOL Khmers helping people!

Besides the manaman (sp?) who is an obvious troll, why would that OP be met with such disdain from others? What makes the OP the subject of a gavinmac background check?
"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones GMJS-CEO" :please:
Careful. You can’t diss members, unless you can of course.

Anyone who has a different view or challenges people post is branded a troll. It’s a simpletons rebuke.
And now I’ll be told of for going off topic because it’s my fault as I’m a troll etc etc.
Yes and that's a very glib assertion. You must know that there's a big difference between expressing a different view or even challenging a view in a respectful and constructive manner that fosters healthy discussion and, trolling. It's all about the intent, the tone, the words used and how it's expressed/delivered..

Anyway, it's clear you're still on a mission of dissension after baiting/trolling.. so take 7 days off to think about how you want to contribute to CEO going forward.
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

The Ukrainians are getting into the current situation because they resist and are fighting for their freedom and democracy. Why would they settle for somewhere that lacks of it.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Clearly, for those in danger and not able to contribute to the war effort, any country is better than risking your life by staying put. However, there are already plenty of countries, mainly in Europe, who together, can easily accomodate everyone in genuine need.

I think the last thing most refugees want is to end up in a much less developed country halfway round the world, with an unfamiliar culture, trying to survive on what little assistance they're offered (which won't come close to what more developed European countries can offer, even with NGO's and charities involved) - especially when there is plenty of room and assistance for them in closer and more familiar territory.

I agree with the intentions of helping refugees, but I don't think it's realistic to imagine a situation where they would want to flock to somewhere like Cambodia. Anyone living in Cambodia that wants to help would be far better off donating what they can to one of the many charities that have been set up to help.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

It seems Germany ain't much better.

This is horrible.

pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

She was allegedly attacked by two Ukraine citizens, 37 and 26, from Iraq, Nigeria

The alleged assailants, aged 37 and 26, are from Iraq and Nigeria but also hold Ukrainian citizenship, Bild reported.

Another sex attack in Düsseldorf has been reported by a young Ukrainian man, who holds passports for both Ukraine and Morrocco, claiming to have been raped by two men.
well shoot i didnt know you just pickup a Uke passport that easily
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

pootylicious wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:47 am
She was allegedly attacked by two Ukraine citizens, 37 and 26, from Iraq, Nigeria

The alleged assailants, aged 37 and 26, are from Iraq and Nigeria but also hold Ukrainian citizenship, Bild reported.

Another sex attack in Düsseldorf has been reported by a young Ukrainian man, who holds passports for both Ukraine and Morrocco, claiming to have been raped by two men.
well shoot i didnt know you just pickup a Uke passport that easily
Some more "Ukrainian" refugees.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm utterly shocked that there are foreigners residing in Europe.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Grand Barong wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:19 pm I hope the link below helps you to donate to or sponsor a family as you have mentioned.
https://crisisrelief.un.org/ukraine-crisis
On the subject of way's to help, the Ukrainian foreign ministry and UK embassy is promoting their own (verified) site where you can also make donations.
https://www.withukraine.org/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic