compliance of ones mind

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CaliforniaGuy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: compliance of ones mind

Post by CaliforniaGuy »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:04 pm
Gazzy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:27 pm Isn't that why people take recreational drugs?
It possibly is why some may feel the need to do so, but on reflection that's not what I am seeking in my present state of mind, is a clear vision and thoughts, not that of a clouded drug induced outlook. Neither have I got any suicide tendencies, or I may just has well call it a day and throw myself into the murky water that I photographed. I was talking about clearing the mind and seeing what approach may be needed in any situation.
I wasn't clear on what you meant, found this, does this describe it?
"Compliance involves changing your behavior in some way because someone else requested you to do so. While you may have had the option to refuse the request, you chose to comply. "
source: https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-compliance-2795888

I don't know if any place will fix it. For me I have found that the best policy is when someone wants you to do something, or not do something is just to say "no". If they are not used to hearing it from you they will try to convince you, "hey, cummon, stop being such a ...." Or they will put you in a perpetual 'why" circle. "Why not?" Then you have to answer that. to which they say, "Why that?", etc., etc etc. I have found I don't give any reason, I want to or I don't want to, and never, give in. After a while people will see you as not so easy to manipulate and will leave you alone after your first answer. It takes time and they will get angry, seems hard at first, but gets easier as time progresses. At first they might call you a jerk, but after a while, hey that's just the way he is. Don't know if this is what you meant, so just throwing out a thought...
I wish I knew a whole lot more, or a whole lot less.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote from the article posted by CaliforniaGuy - Compliance involves changing your behavior in some way because someone else requested you to do so. While you may have had the option to refuse the request, you chose to comply.

It was something that appears to be maybe the thing to do, according to the conversation I had that day with someone who is a professional body on the subject. But at the time I rejected the idea, because I didn't trust the people involved could do what was implied, it made matters much more difficult to make a clear decision when I was the third party, but had to except full responsibility for their actions.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I believe, AndyKK, that this may be closely related to another recent topic.
I may be barking up the wrong tree, so apologies if that's the case. If I'm not, then I think what you're possibly looking for at present may be different from what you might need. What you might need right now is some moral support, someone dependable that you know well, can rely on, while you deal with a reality that you've been told you might have to face, but really don't want to. Someone who can help you clarify the choices and options, so that you can make decisions that you need to make.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^ I believe, AndyKK, that this may be closely related to another recent topic. I do believe that you are right Freightdog. But I am what you could say alone, and also saying that many decisions are not mine to make!

I have obviously, and are having huge concerns about the health of my partner, I know she is in the end stage of liver cirrhosis, so the outcome of the terminal illness will only lead unfortunately to her end. But we, or I live in hope of new treatments and so on. Hope is all I seem to have at this time.
I had been taking Nak to the hospital for her appointments, they have been regular intervals, and even some in between when needed. She is monitored (a full day's job) by the regular test's, blood urine and stool, scans and so on. She has plenty of modern medicine.
Just of late she had started to deteriorate in some aspects, with other ailments also coming to the fore. One I expected was the infection from the catheter removal at the government hospital, they had again unfortunately caused her unnecessary damage internally on the removal of the catheter, I believe the staff at the previous hospital are incompetent of most medical procedures.
Not related to the above incident, she had started to bleed a small amount internally, this was also to be expected and bought to my knowledge many months ago.
Presently Nak came to a decision that I don't know if it is right or wrong! It's hard for me, but I must except the choice she has made. Basically, her health started to deteriorate rapidly, she had enough of modern western medicines and hospital visits, and she asked me to stand by her on the decision of Ethnobotany traditional medicine in Cambodia. Of course, I do believe myself in some traditional medicines, but probably not the best for the kind of illness she has. She went to the family home the other day against that of her families wishes to return, that is apart from her son who she has not seen for a few years, and she told me she wanted to see him, more so if she was to die. Her son gave up school, or let's say the pandemic gave it up for him like so many around the country. He has been working for the last 2 years, and now he is daily preparing his mother's medicine in-between his work, he will be 15 years old now.
Nak is in contact with me by phone daily, I am giving her the brake we both need at this time, I suppose the time has been very stressful to say the least and also my health has been suffering a little too, with various ailments. I will be going over soon, but we both agreed to have this time apart from each other for one week, it's difficult in one way because the only time apart in the last 7 years was when I had to return to my own country for an operation, that kept me away for 1 month, and 2 days when I was invited by a friend to go on a boat trip with him around Koh Kong Island.
But with regards to her health, she sounds very positive with in the conversations over the phone.

Ethnobotany traditional medicine in Cambodia

Cambodians address symptomatic illness in two ways: they use traditional medicine, including medicinal plants, and biomedicine. Despite various attempts to quantify medicinal ethnobotany in Cambodia, no national ethnopharmacopoeia exists, and there is a gap in the literature regarding the mechanisms through which traditional medicines are prepared and used. This report presents an examination of the ethnopharmacopoeia of two villages within Phnom Kulen National Park, a study site chosen for its unique ecology and status as one of Cambodia’s last remaining regions with lowland evergreen and semi-evergreen forest. The report also investigates the mechanisms through which villagers make decisions regarding illness treatment with traditional medicine or biomedicine. Semi-structured interviews conducted during April 2016 in Sangkae Lak and Ta Penh revealed 161 botanical species in current traditional medicine use, and 111 of these species were new to the School for Field Studies medicinal plant taxonomy. Regarding the decision-making process involved in medicating illness, respondents articulated that biomedicine and traditional medicine were effective for different purposes. Traditional medicine was considered successful in addressing chronic illness or long-term treatment, but biomedicine was considered better for acute illness. This report also reveals that the decision-making processes involved in medicating illness in these villages are multi-faceted and affected by government intervention. Furthermore, the disparate ways in which general community members, traditional medicine practitioners and government agents understand drug interactions is hugely impactful in community decisions to use traditional medicine or biomedicine. This research contributes to the knowledge of medicinal ethnobotany and community health decisions on Phnom Kulen.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... e_Cambodia
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:04 pm I was talking about clearing the mind and seeing what approach may be needed in any situation.
Listening to your gut feeling in a neutral environment, in the early morning, works great for me
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic