Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Do you support Russia or Ukraine in this conflict?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:32 pm

Russia
18%
Ukraine
73%
It's a hoax
3%
I don't know.
6%

Total votes: 79
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:50 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:01 am

PayPal are pulling the plug as well.
PayPal hasn't pulled the plug yet, it's one of the few ways out, and people are using it desperately. Several Russian people I've dealt with in the past pretended to make a purchase and transferred money into my business PayPal account. I complained about this with PayPal and asked them to fully send the fund back to the sender without charging me and, how surprising, PayPal denied to do so.
nope;
PayPal Holdings Inc. halted its operations in Russia on Saturday morning. The online payments company has followed other finance and technology firms in leaving the country due to the military conflict in Ukraine.

“Under the current circumstances, we are suspending PayPal services in Russia,” Chief Executive Dan Schulman said, adding that the company “stands with the international community in condemning Russia’s violent military aggression in Ukraine.”
https://www.rt.com/russia/551289-paypal ... ns-russia/
...If you get a refund it goes to your PayPal account balance, how does that benefit them?
the time between when u ask for the refund till the refund hits ur account, Paypal uses ur $$$
one reason why i stopped using them decades ago
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:07 am
...If you get a refund it goes to your PayPal account balance, how does that benefit them?
the time between when u ask for the refund till the refund hits ur account, Paypal uses ur $$$
That's the catch 22, fees are for the receiver. I can send money to anyone, free of charge, and then file a complaint later and get a full refund at the receiver's expenses.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:22 am I know we shouldn't feel hostility towards individual Russians, but I can't help myself. I am glad their world is falling apart wherever in the world they are. Send them all packing back to mother Russia. Most of them them are obnoxious f**kers anyway.
Please keep in mind that we do have at least one excellent contributing member from Russia. He has also documented his motorcycle travels around the world including around Australia.
I've never met him but online he comes across as a decent guy.

I hope @SINUS is keeping safe and well, and has plenty of coin stuffed under his mattress.

:thumb:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

When we talk about Islamic terrorism, we get the "Not all Muslims" rhetoric. Criticism of the Chinese government is separated from the Chinese people.

On the other hand, some people feel free to hate all Russian people. Russian cats are barred from competitions. A university in Italy stops teaching Dostoevsky. Lots more ridiculous examples out there.

See the difference?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:27 pm When we talk about Islamic terrorism, we get the "Not all Muslims" rhetoric. Criticism of the Chinese government is separated from the Chinese people.

On the other hand, some people feel free to hate all Russian people. Russian cats are barred from competitions. A university in Italy stops teaching Dostoevsky. Lots more ridiculous examples out there.

See the difference?
No, plenty of people have pointed that out, even on here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:52 am
That's the catch 22, fees are for the receiver. I can send money to anyone, free of charge, and then file a complaint later and get a full refund at the receiver's expenses.
Can you take the money out, close the account and open a new one?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:02 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:52 am
Can you take the money out, close the account and open a new one?
Uses your money?
How could you possibly know that and even if they did what difference would it make?

That’s what financial companies do otherwise there’s not much point.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:10 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:22 am I know we shouldn't feel hostility towards individual Russians, but I can't help myself. I am glad their world is falling apart wherever in the world they are. Send them all packing back to mother Russia. Most of them them are obnoxious f**kers anyway.
Please keep in mind that we do have at least one excellent contributing member from Russia. He has also documented his motorcycle travels around the world including around Australia.
I've never met him but online he comes across as a decent guy.

I hope @SINUS is keeping safe and well, and has plenty of coin stuffed under his mattress.

:thumb:
Yeah UT, upon refection my comments were out of order. Apologies to anyone offended by my crass remarks.

Mea culpa
Last edited by Doc67 on Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Plenty of Russians are against it
At least 1,754 people were detained on Sunday at protests across Russia against Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine, according to the according to the OVD-Info project - an independent Russian human rights monitoring group.

Protests were held in 44 cities including the Russian Pacific port city of Vladivostok and the Siberian city of Irkutsk, the group said as the conflict in Ukraine entered its eleventh day.

Since Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine on 24 February, demonstrations have taken place in more than 100 Russian cities and at least 9,350 people have been detained, according to OVD-Info project.

Russia’s interior ministry warned on Saturday that any attempt to hold unauthorised protests would be prevented and the organisers held to account.

A video posted on social media showed a protester on a square in the far eastern city of Khabarovsk shouting: "No to war - how are you not ashamed" before two policemen detained him.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 29624.html
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I came across this today. If you want to help people in Ukraine, but don't want to go through all the industrial charity appeals etc. just book an Airbnb with someone in one of the hardest hit areas. Pay in full and they get the money with all the fees being waived by Airbnb. Airbnb also have a scheme to donate for housing needs of refugees. How much has Airbnb saved you over the years and opened up a whole sector of accommodation never available before?

“We are so humbled by the inspiring generosity of our community during this moment of crisis,” Airbnb Communications Director Liz DeBold Fusco, told The Post. “Airbnb is temporarily waiving guest and Host fees on bookings in Ukraine at this time.”

“We also encourage anyone interested in getting involved with Airbnb.org to go to airbnb.org/help-ukraine, and support Airbnb.org’s initiative to provide housing to refugees fleeing Ukraine, by becoming a Host or donating,” DeBold added. “To date, we have seen an overwhelming response to this effort, with more than 357,000 visitors to this page.”

https://nypost.com/2022/03/04/hundreds- ... heres-why/

https://www.airbnb.org/help-ukraine
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic