Student's Mother Asks Teacher $2000 for Hitting Son

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Student's Mother Asks Teacher $2000 for Hitting Son

Post by AndyKK »

In the long past school years of my own experience, being pushed for supposing doing wrong, such has the young student in this storyline who wasn't paying attention to his teacher and his studies. Discipline could have been, detention and 100 lines, or perhaps a physical punishment of the teacher's ruler across the hand's, even the slipper across one's backsides. Canning by the headmaster would be the ultimate physical straw, followed by expulsion.
But rightly so forms of physical and emotional punishments have been stopped in the schools of most countries. Many of us may say "well it never did me any harm". I wonder what the teacher's views we're having to carry out the punishments.
Overall, it's got to be the responsibility of the child's parent's or guardian whom teaches the growing child the responsible way to act right from wrong in any situation. I personally don't believe that to physically strike a child is always necessary, nor needed, there are other less harmful ways of punishing and teaching a child to act in the right way seen by its peers and society.
I also would think Cambodian society have seen and heard of enough violence with the atrocities and past events over the recent past war-torn years. But how we may simply perceive our own feelings and outlook, the violence continues to escalate in many corners of our world, how good would it be if all violent actions of any nature ceased to exist, but that is only possible with good teaching and the mindset of the good nature of the individual outlook.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:04 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:30 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:32 pm The difference is clear to see in the UK, gangs of semi-feral teenagers who see no issue with stabbing people or booting some poor sod to death because he refused them a cigarette, shit like that did not happen in my day when corporal punishment was carried out in school when deserved.
They banned corporal punishment while I was in secondary school. It didn't stop them battering us, I had both eardrums broken at different times by teachers after that. I was a very badly-behaved student though. :)
Anyway with regards to the feral kids, they may not be beaten in school anymore but we have no idea how they are treated at home. No doubt many come from highly-dysfunctional families where the parent(s) have substance abuse problems or other serious issues. They possibly face disproportionate violence and abuse every day. So then it's no wonder they end up being vicious themselves. There are some very stabby Somalian gangs around London these days. I'd imagine many grew up in fuct up circumstances. Not excusing anyone's bad behavior, just trying to put it in context. 8-)
You may have a point regarding dysfunctional families (how much of that is down to the parents having never been disciplined?) but what are the odds of an entire group of peers having the same background to an extent they see committing extreme violence as a group towards an individual as acceptable, and in many cases something to laugh and boast about?
[/quote
Back in NZ I used to have a GF whose brothers were all members of an ethnic bikie gang, the Mongrel Mob. Them and the other gang guys were taught at an early age, by parents and teachers, that violence is not only the best solution but usually the only solution, to any problem. The Mob were a tough bunch, most of them had serious jail time and a couple were locked up for murder. Children are not naturally violent, it is a learned behaviour, and as for the folk here advocating a "short sharp slap", that says more about them than they would like to reveal. "Only when you have a mosquito land on your testicles do you understand that violence is not always the answer" (ancient Khmer saying)
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:21 am One of my old teacher's was a cracking shot from when he was writing on the blackboard and you weren't paying attention, "WHACK" the piece of chalk would always catch you around the forehead. Then of course if you deserved it, there was always six of the best of the cane. Wonder what price would be put on that punishment.
Yep i was thinking about one teacher at my school Mr Hope, he was known as "bummer hope" cos we thought he was a nonce. He seemed to enjoy giving us the cane. My mum would be worth millions
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

In primary school I was at a mixed Anglican school. The teachers were all women and could be a bit mean but they were cool. In secondary school I was sent to "Christian Brothers". They were fucking weirdos. They hated me because I didn't know the "Hail Mary" and only knew the wrong version of the "Lord's Prayer". They used to beat the fuck out of us. Some of them seriously looked like that drunk priest with one eye out of Father Ted. They had leather straps and meter sticks and what not. I remember one lay teacher getting annoyed because some students were playing cards at the back row when they should have been learning French. He went down and grabbed one by the head and kneed him a couple of times, then went around and battered the other guy. I was in English class one day and we were asked to add adjectives to some words. I thought "sexy" was an appropriate adjective for "girl". The brother battered the fuck out of me. Luckily I moved to another school soon after and unfortunately it was another "Christian Brothers" and more chaos ensued. They banned corporal punishment but they kept hitting us, I had both eardrums perforated by teachers during this time. I was a fucking nightmare student but I don't think you should injure students.
Anyway, fuck teachers hitting kids, they banned that here at least 15 years ago and the teacher should know better.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I was always a prime target at school.

But that was because I always sat at the front of the class. That way I could discuss the previous lesson with the teacher, whilst waiting on the other students, whom walked to class, or were at lunch.

The disadvantage was constantly having to twist around to face my classmates everytime I answered a question correctly.

I was popular too, and often would have fellas saying they were going to wait for me after school, but by the time I finished analysing the day's studies with teachers, they had gone.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic