Expats returning to China

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Expats returning to China

Post by Kenr »

AE86 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:42 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:28 pm
Spigzy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:01 pm Is this for Chinese expats here, or other nationalities trying to get into China? If the former, we need to find a fix ASAP.
I have been reading for a longtime that there are many Chinese people traveling from China via land borders of Vietnam and Cambodia with the final destination for work being Sihanoukville. :stir:
Vietnam has been damn near very impossible to get in, even for many Vietnamese. My ex's family (being Vietnamese) have not been back since 2019, and they used to travel almost every month, sometimes twice a month to visit family.

I personally have a hard time believing random Chinese are transiting through given how strict I've heard border controls and immigration is up in Hanoi.
Vietnam is easy, minus Covid testing and a 13 hour layover in Dubai, to get into now if you are a Vietnamese national. Took a friend to the consulate here in Houston a few weeks ago and she got a 5 year exempt. Took her to the airport on Wednesday, she sent me a text at 7:00 this morning letting me know that she got there ok.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

AE86 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:18 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:57 pm
AE86 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:42 pm Vietnam has been damn near very impossible to get in, even for many Vietnamese. My ex's family (being Vietnamese) have not been back since 2019, and they used to travel almost every month, sometimes twice a month to visit family.

I personally have a hard time believing random Chinese are transiting through given how strict I've heard border controls and immigration is up in Hanoi.
Andy is referring to informal entries
I know.

Hanoi was on a fairly extreme lockdown, as was HCMC, and police were stopping people everywhere all the time in broad daylight and often times preventing people from leaving their houses or opening any kind of business in many districts (family members included). So given the severity of the police presence it would seem rather unattractive for those trying to bumble their way to SHV to do so through Vietnam as opposed somewhere like Laos in my view, given the relative lack of borders up north and much heavier Chinese presence there.

Just my view.
Plus, China is building a wall on the border with Vietnam and Myanmar: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-25/ ... r/13068344

I wonder if they're going to try to make Vietnam pay for it?!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AE86 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:42 pm Vietnam has been damn near very impossible to get in, even for many Vietnamese. My ex's family (being Vietnamese) have not been back since 2019, and they used to travel almost every month, sometimes twice a month to visit family.

I know.

Hanoi was on a fairly extreme lockdown, as was HCMC, and police were stopping people everywhere all the time in broad daylight and often times preventing people from leaving their houses or opening any kind of business in many districts (family members included). So given the severity of the police presence it would seem rather unattractive for those trying to bumble their way to SHV to do so through Vietnam as opposed somewhere like Laos in my view, given the relative lack of borders up north and much heavier Chinese presence there.

Just my view.
I live in the north of Vietnam, near the border, and it is an open secret that Chinese are crossing illegally every day. Dome do get caught but it is a difficult border to patrol and many get through.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

hanno wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:26 am

I know.

Just my view.
I live in the north of Vietnam, near the border, and it is an open secret that Chinese are crossing illegally every day. Dome do get caught but it is a difficult border to patrol and many get through.
I was hoping you'd chip in :) Thanks for that.

Most of my ex's family that still live in Vietnam (minus one) are down south in HCMC, and I'm guessing they're probably a bit too convinced from news reports that the government has everything under control up North.
-insert signature here
tears_in_rain
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by tears_in_rain »

I'd discourage anyone from returning to teaching English in China now. It's a very different place post-Covid. Great money to be made, but at a price.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Ong Tay wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:19 am

I know.

Just my view.
Plus, China is building a wall on the border with Vietnam and Myanmar: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-25/ ... r/13068344

I wonder if they're going to try to make Vietnam pay for it?!
Hardly a wall more of a fence.
It’s amusing that anything China does the west twist it to suit their agenda. Propaganda at its finest.

Whenever there’s quotes when “”The experts say…” you know it’ll be negative.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic