No Joke Howard - Legend of Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: No Joke Howard - Legend of Cambodia.

Post by Kenr »

tears_in_rain wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:10 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:08 am I don’t know what charity you are referring to.
Can you use Google?
Why should I Google something you brought up to me?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

tears_in_rain wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:30 am Who said anything about being cheated? Unfortunately, there is more than a fair share of paranoid delusional weirdos already here... If you don't think that Khmer people have an in-group preference then you live in a fairytale world...
People having preferences for their own people? No, that never happens. :?
That has fark all to do with anything. If you want to see Cambodia through
the eyes of a deranged and drug-addled fuck up who liked describing his
encounters with ladyboys in graphic detail - well that's fantastic.
There's a reason
why your type
don't last
long.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Not my cup of tea.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:56 pm
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:43 pm
tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:39 am Does anyone else here miss watching videos from no joke Howard? The guy kept it real and his videos were so entertaining. I wonder what he would've thought about the last two years and Covid? I miss his analysis. Better than 99% of the fake Cambodian YouTubers out there. The reality of being an ex-pat in Asia is that most of the locals would much rather you would not be in their country. No joke acknowledged that point. They just tolerate us for the money and that's the truth. Still... Nothing really wrong with that I guess. RIP no joke!
I don't think this is all true. Some people we know for years probably tolerate us/ You for the money lol. If treat people w/ respect etc blah blah and are not just passing thru-- you can establish some ties. I met him in person a few times and was in touch by email as well.

What surprised me was your first post is about him. that is it?

The reason why nojoke was so popular was because of his authenticity. Also, he was a genuinely funny guy and talked openly about his personal battles and Demons. There is not necessarily a correspondence between holding down a job or earning a good living and intelligence.

Of course, there are Khmer people who like Westerners in their country, but that usually is because they rely on them for their livelihood. Let's be honest! You're deluded if you think otherwise.
you don't need to tell me/ us why he was so popular lol.. did you even meet or know him? Of course your entitled to your opinion but it is strange you come out of the blue and only talk about him. It's cool if he made you interested in Cambodia.. He would appreciate that.
I agree he was open about those things..
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

xandreu wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:23 pm He was the epitome of the cocky, overconfident, big-headed, arrogant yank that unfortunately didn't do his country any favours when it came to dispelling that stereotypical image that many in the rest of the world have about Americans. I apologise if that sounds a bit racist, and of course we know that the overwhelming majority of Americans are nothing like him, but the few that are are do seem to take prominence when many think of the stereotypical American.

I found his videos strangely alluring however. I did watch many of them and in a weird way, I grew to quite like the guy. I respected him for the fact he just didn't give a shit what other people thought about him. There was something honest and genuine about him, even regarding the fact he had no qualms whatsoever talking about his love for ladyboys.

While I enjoyed his videos, he wouldn't be someone I could have a beer or become friends with however. He was clearly troubled and while I was quite shocked at first to hear of his demise, there was something inevitable about it.

RIP to the guy.
I hear you and def acknowledge the stereotype of Americans-- I feel like happy when some locals get to meet an American who isn't like that. Just like we get to see a window into khmer culture / people by interacting with them in person, it also works the other way around.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:44 pm I never understood the “keeping it real” slogan. For me personally, especially being a guest in a foreign country, talking smack about the country or the people in a country you are staying in is not “keeping it real”. For me, I would have to get up and leave after 30 seconds, maybe not even that long, if someone was at my table “keeping it real”.

Damn near every country, whether it be in SE Asia, Europe, or the Americas, is dependent somewhat of foreigner visitors, their GDP relies on it. The difference is that usually countries in SE Asia are more tolerant of a foreigners bad behavior than the Western countries are, but I believe that it has more to do with their culture than anything. Can you imagine someone from Asia or Europe coming into the United States and “keeping it real”, or going into the UK or another European country and doing that? They wouldn’t last long. I have seen the YouTube e- beggars go down into Mexico and try to get away with the shit they did in SE Asia, and it didn’t end well for them. Some got their asses kicked and some went to jail, sometimes both.

Sorry, but none of these YouTube e-beggars are legends.
you made me think of this "keeping it real" on the Chappelle show- When keeping it real goes wrong ..

Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:27 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:33 am No, he was an unemployable mess who barely lasted two years before he had to beg the US embassy for a ticket home. What's "real" about that?
That might be true, but he was a very perceptive and highly intelligent individual. He didn't see Cambodia through 'rose-tinted glasses', like most of the nonentities on this forum.
Maybe take your topic to "The Other Forum" and see if you get a more positive response?

Did you actually know him?, or are you just a tragic Fanboy? :facepalm:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

BklynBoy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:51 am
Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:44 pm I never understood the “keeping it real” slogan. For me personally, especially being a guest in a foreign country, talking smack about the country or the people in a country you are staying in is not “keeping it real”. For me, I would have to get up and leave after 30 seconds, maybe not even that long, if someone was at my table “keeping it real”.

Damn near every country, whether it be in SE Asia, Europe, or the Americas, is dependent somewhat of foreigner visitors, their GDP relies on it. The difference is that usually countries in SE Asia are more tolerant of a foreigners bad behavior than the Western countries are, but I believe that it has more to do with their culture than anything. Can you imagine someone from Asia or Europe coming into the United States and “keeping it real”, or going into the UK or another European country and doing that? They wouldn’t last long. I have seen the YouTube e- beggars go down into Mexico and try to get away with the shit they did in SE Asia, and it didn’t end well for them. Some got their asses kicked and some went to jail, sometimes both.

you made me think of this "keeping it real" on the Chappelle show- When keeping it real goes wrong ..

LOL, you caught me. When the OP made the statement, “kept it real”, it made me think of Dave Chappelle and his keeping it real skits.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Kenr wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:20 am
BklynBoy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:51 am

LOL, you caught me. When the OP made the statement, “kept it real”, it made me think of Dave Chappelle and his keeping it real skits.
hahs great minds think alike

but seriously people have to navigate their way in situations and see what they will put up with and why. Are they advocating for themselves or going over the top. Sometimes you can "win" by losing or letting things go. Fight for another day

Chappelle is very funny
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

tears_in_rain wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:27 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:33 am No, he was an unemployable mess who barely lasted two years before he had to beg the US embassy for a ticket home. What's "real" about that?
That might be true, but he was a very perceptive and highly intelligent individual. He didn't see Cambodia through 'rose-tinted glasses', like most of the nonentities on this forum.
Those are some pretty harsh words. Excluding yourself and some other Fanboys and simps, I doubt if anyone in Cambodia or any other part of the world would consider a YouTube e-beggar extremely famous or inspirational, aka a legend. Rose-tinted-glasses? It’s sounds like you have your own goggles on.

You are the OP of this post, you asked a question, people responded, apparently not to your liking, and you insult them. Doesn’t make much sense to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic