Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
krisduncs
Expatriate

Re: Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

Post by krisduncs »

Anchor sales dropped by 30% the day i left.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I find all the standard beers rather lacking in taste nowadays. In Thailand, even more so.
I have heard that breweries here mainly use rice to make beer and Beer Lao describes itself as a rice beer.
But some of them are so tasteless, just seem to be alcoholic carbonated water.
There has been a fad lately in the USA for hard seltzers. These are:

What Is Hard Seltzer?
Also known as spiked seltzer, alcoholic seltzer, or hard sparkling water, hard seltzer is carbonated water combined with alcohol and fruit flavoring. Depending on the hard seltzer brand, these fruit flavors can come from real fruit juice or artificial flavoring.

Hard seltzer, adult seltzer, mature seltzer, spiked seltzer and hard sparkling alcohol water is a type of highball drink containing seltzer (carbonated water), alcohol, and often fruit flavorings.[1] In the US the alcohol is usually made by fermenting cane sugar; sometimes malted barley is used.[1] Hard seltzer products outside of the US have been found to use either neutral spirit,[2] or fermentation of fruit.[3] The alcohol by volume is around 5%[4] and the calorie-content is relatively low.[5][6]

I'm wondering if some beers now are made like this - made as above but using artificial beer flavouring. In the USA the brewers like hard seltzer because it is cheap to make and consumers like the low calorie content. OTOH, they have to keep marketing new flavors as each fad dies away.

Apparently the biggest cost by far for any beer in Cambodia is the packaging. And if it comes in bottles, the bottles must be imported and they are not recycled. Even the boxes in which the cans and bottles are packed cost a fair bit, then there's the transport. The ingredients come in last as a cost. Draught beer costs a lot less to package as it's one big can and it gets recycled cheaply.

I like the Stonehead range of beers. I suppose they are categorised as craft beers.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:03 pm Beer Lao is my beer of choice in SE Asia.
Mine too but it's not commonly available outside the center of the city as far as I can see.

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:26 pm Back in my home country, I'm quite partial to this:
Asahi used to be the cheapest beer here by the crate, ten or so years back. Then they re-marketed as an exclusive beer, the price went up from 40c or something to nearly $2. So they pretty much disappeared from the top sellers list.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

It might be a strange question, but if they make it from rice, whats the problem, whats the difference between barley, wheat and rice, i would say the crop is very similar, or am i completely wrong ?? And about the packaging, is there not 1 bottle-factory in Cambodia, do they really all come from abroad, no idea !! Could be good bussiness i would think (better then running a girlie-bar) ?? !!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

When in Cambodia
1 - Craft beers - Cerevisia, Hops, Stone Head, etc.
2 - Tiger - Not bad, costs slightly more but worth it
3 - Anchor - more "crisp" compared to the below
4 - Cambodia - not much taste but I do like water
5 - Angkor - don't like the taste, bitter

I'd say I'm 80% of the time having craft beers when in the Kingdom.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:22 pm It might be a strange question, but if they make it from rice, whats the problem, whats the difference between barley, wheat and rice, i would say the crop is very similar, or am i completely wrong ?? And about the packaging, is there not 1 bottle-factory in Cambodia, do they really all come from abroad, no idea !! Could be good bussiness i would think (better then running a girlie-bar) ?? !!
Adjuncts. Yeast (at least cerivisiae) consumes the sugars from barley most effectively, creating pleasant esters, wheat slightly less so (hence the cloudiness) and rice and corn, not so much of anything. So you get more flavour from barley, headache inducing mush from wheat, and flavourless sugars from rice and corn.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Timmy69 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:30 pm Anchor (cans) is my beer of choice when I’m in bars.

I thought it was the most popular beer for expats.

Every bar I’d go to would have Anchor cans, for years.

Nowadays some expat bars have stopped stocking it.

They say “drink Cambodia beer” which is similar in taste but not the same.

Have any other Anchor drinkers noticed this, and did you switch to Cambodia beer or just stop going to bars that no longer carry Anchor?
Hmm... Anchor is a relatively new beer in the Cambodian market. It has not been available here 'for years'... What happened was, about 3 years ago, Anchor cans suddenly started to become much more popular, displacing Angkor, which is all but invisible now in many shops... Previously, Angkor and Cambodia were the most popular beer 'for years'... Anyway, I started drinking Anchor a few years ago before it became more popular, and it was generally okay, then... But something happened since then. As the popularity of Anchor beer increased, the flavor has diminished considerably, to the extent that it no longer resembles a proper Pilsner at all... Mass production has ruined it, I think...

So, if you really are fussy, get some Beer Lao, it is the best beer in southeast Asia by far, especially in bottles, because the bottled version has no preservative chemicals, it is more or less an all-natural product... I have not tried the cans, maybe I will, but don't expect it to be as good as the bottles... Most if not all beer makers have a different recipe for bottled beer that usually omits or replaces the preservatives... Not many people know this, and it's why beer in bottles is also more expensive, except in Laos, of course -- where they save on bottle cost by recycling and refilling their bottles...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

orichá wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:58 am
Timmy69 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:30 pm Anchor (cans) is my beer of choice when I’m in bars.

Have any other Anchor drinkers noticed this, and did you switch to Cambodia beer or just stop going to bars that no longer carry Anchor?
So, if you really are fussy, get some Beer Lao, it is the best beer in southeast Asia by far, especially in bottles, because the bottled version has no preservative chemicals, it is more or less an all-natural product... I have not tried the cans, maybe I will, but don't expect it to be as good as the bottles... Most if not all beer makers have a different recipe for bottled beer that usually omits or replaces the preservatives... Not many people know this, and it's why beer in bottles is also more expensive, except in Laos, of course -- where they save on bottle cost by recycling and refilling their bottles...
Quite a few myths that need busting here:

https://thirstybastards.com/cans-vs-bot ... he%20time.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

orichá wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:58 am

Hmm... Anchor is a relatively new beer in the Cambodian market. It has not been available here 'for years'... What happened was, about 3 years ago, Anchor cans suddenly started to become much more popular, displacing Angkor, which is all but invisible now in many shops... Previously, Angkor and Cambodia were the most popular beer 'for years'... Anyway, I started drinking Anchor a few years ago before it became more popular, and it was generally okay, then... But something happened since then. As the popularity of Anchor beer increased, the flavor has diminished considerably, to the extent that it no longer resembles a proper Pilsner at all... Mass production has ruined it, I think...

Anchor has been available far longer than Cambodia. Anchor was sold here more than 20 years ago, it's been made since about 1934. Cambodia only came on the market less than a decade ago.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

what about the badly named Klang!

I usually drink that, think it comes in 2 strengths as well
Even the ugly ones
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic