Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

Post by AndyKK »

Beer Lao in big bottles or the Thai beer Leo, finding they suit my tastes more than the over sweetness of most Cambodian beers that I only see fit has an alternative mouth wash, rinse and spit it out. But everyone to their own. Now a few shorts are a better call.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

Beer Lao, 0.5l cans are just great, best deal anywhere.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

When i came in 2013 first time to KOW i tried them all 3 together at the same time and place (Cadillac), and prefered Anchor, and still do. One of my exes who used to run a bar said that Anchor where the only who regullary came to clean the tap-installations, but thats 4 years ago. And about gout, i rarely have it in KOW, but if i do, usually its connected with drinking red-wine and Ricard, not beer. If i wake up in the morning with a strange feeling in my big tone, just take double Allopurinol and do it for 5 days (usually from monday to friday), and you are saved. Some friends take it all year, just to stay drinking, but i learned long time ago to listen to your body: if something hurts, its an alarmbel to wake you up: you are doing something wrong. But i always have it with me, Cheers, buuuwn Anchor sreysaart !!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Quick diversion: What do you pay for a 330 ml or 500 ml can of Leo from the mini-marts? Or 620 ml big bottles, if that's what you can buy? Thanks.

PS: Just checked. The bastards here in Thailand pinch 10 ml from the 500 ml cans = 490 ml.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Timmy69 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:30 pm Have any other Anchor drinkers noticed this, and did you switch to Cambodia beer or just stop going to bars that no longer carry Anchor?
I would never stop going to a bar just because it only had Anchor and no Cambodia. I would only stop going to a bar if all it had was that "craft" (homebrew) stuff.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:46 pm
Timmy69 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:30 pm Have any other Anchor drinkers noticed this, and did you switch to Cambodia beer or just stop going to bars that no longer carry Anchor?
I would never stop going to a bar just because it only had Anchor and no Cambodia. I would only stop going to a bar if all it had was that "craft" (homebrew) stuff.
I have not been to Cambodia for a couple of years (Covid and all) but here in Vietnam there are some seriously good craft beers about. Too expensive to replace 50 Cent beers, but very good once in a while. All the lagers in SE Asia taste very samish (used to do blind tastings with people who were adamant they could tell the difference between Anchor and Angkor. Not one of them could), and a good craft beer is head and shoulders above any of those.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sure, but I don't like any of the ones I've had here. I agree all the lagers taste pretty much the same, but Angkor has a more bitter taste, and Ganzberg is complete crap.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:44 pm Sure, but I don't like any of the ones I've had here. I agree all the lagers taste pretty much the same, but Angkor has a more bitter taste, and Ganzberg is complete crap.
OK, I should have been more specific: Ganzberg never has been, and never will be, a beer.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

A lot more bars have Cambodia on tap now. When I first came here, many didn't have it or would only have cans or bottles. I think this has come at the expense of declining popularity of Anchor. And Angkor is just horrible IMHO.

So my staple here is Cambodia and the 1 in 3 freebie ring pulls is an added bonus.

Back in my home country, I'm quite partial to this:

However, I keep dreaming that San Miguel will one day open a factory in Cambodia as this has always been my favourite for every day drinking:
:beer3:
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

hanno wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:50 pm
Patcan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:39 pm For what it is worth...My fingers and knee joints got all ducked up from the uric acid in Cambodia brand beer....Tried to drink it for a while because of all the free ringpull beers but had to switch back to Anchor which also tastes better
If you have problems with gout, beer is certainly your enemy. Any beer. As far as I know, no beers contain uric acid, but purines which are broken down into uric acid in the body. I should think that the amount of purines in Cambodia and Anchor are similar (purines are a byproduct of the yeast fermenting), but maybe the prospect of prizes made you drink more ;-)

P.S.: As I suffer from gout, I have looked into this subject a little bit and ideally, no beer at all is the only way. A way I have not yet managed.

Cheesus , I quit drinking beer a little over a month ago , whenever I got gout or that acid i would wonder wtf did i eat ..
Never could figger it out
But so far my ‘ joints ‘ do feel better and no gout back since , but that can come and go at any time ,
my system was used to at least 12 beers on any normal day , more if i was ‘ racing’ against anybody or myself .

Now i find I get like stunned in the leg , or paralyzed like is that a chalie horse ?
Can’t remember whatchacallit but there is a medicine out
the word of the medicine is ______ worx like I forget the 1st word but i’m not sure if it’s only available thru Fox News is where I got the commercial next time i am going for the screenshot of the name and tollfree number..
or carpel tunnel where the fingers just curl and you gotta shake yer hand like a mofo to get it back to normal ,
Also that happens on the handlebars and gota grin and bear it
Waiting to hear more on that medicine it’s in a tube you rub it on
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic