Money Change Options

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Money Change Options

Post by Eeyan »

As a complete novice here, I think Doc's advice about using Riel only is spot on.

I'm normally pretty ok with money abroad, but having to use two different foreign currencies, especially when you get a mixture back in change, has thrown me for six.

I've got rid of the dollars and trying to stick with the Riel, makes things alot clearer.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Money Change Options

Post by Bongmab69 »

AlexJonesCrab wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:14 am
Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:25 pm I go for many years to the same jewelry shop on 136, the official name is KHAY SAKHAV, its almost on the corner from 136 and 53 or on MAPS: 11.569042, 104.922249.
Best rate in PP and he is not to bad if your bills are not perfect new-ones. Checked out in november the ones near Phsar Kandal also, and they gave 11$ les on 1000$ then KHAY !!
Good option is just go straight from airport with your taxi to him and change imeditaly, then you dont have to worry anymore or dont need dollars to change in your country !!
Awesome, thanks for the intel. I get in around 6PM, would KHAY SAKHAV be open at that time? (on a Monday PM)
I think as most bussinesses in KOW they dont have real opening-hours, they just close when they want to, and indeed, i saw some dodgy guys outside also several times, but usual i go in the morning, and knever had issues even carrying thousands of dollars, ofcourse a little commun sence is smart. They have a own security guy who looks dodgy also the first time i went. And back refering in RIELS, if i change my euros to dollars, go to your hotel, put them in the safe, take a 100-one and walk to Phsar KANDAL and change them to Riels, as my usual walk to Harrys takes me infront of those changers, and change de 100 to some 50.000-notes and you are ready to hit the road. At the end of the road, you win 2-3% which isnt a lot, but on long term i see it like this: if you drink 10 beers a day, thats 300 in a month, you have about 5 free beers every month, just changing it in Riels, thats sounds better, no ?? Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic