Any CSRS or FERS retirees?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Any CSRS or FERS retirees?

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:41 am
Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:17 am
Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:19 am Thank you for that.

My biggest issue is going to be with my bank, IRS, and TSP I believe. Everyone is now using a 2 step authentication now, and my bank, IRS, and TSP use sms, whereas SSA sends the code via email, which I wish they would all do and would resolve my issue.

I currently have T-Mobile, but they will freeze my account, and phone number, after being out of the country after 3 months, and they all want a US phone number associated with the accounts.

Sooooooo
Get a US based VoIP number. Problem solved. I have used one for years worldwide to do banking, etc.. I get SMS, etc., calls from USA cell phones from friends to my US based number in Cambodia.
Who are you using? I’ve been reading up on those but have not been able to find one that supports 2FA.
If they support text messaging that's the same thing. 2FA is an umbrella term for any form of additional verification.

That's why I mentioned Google Phone and even Skype cause they let you receive txt I believe. But there is probably other better providers as well.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

MagicJack. I joined them years before everyone had a cellphone and you plugged a phone into your computer to use it (sorta like the old internet shops around town offered long distance calling). Now it is an app on my smart phone.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Felgerkarb wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:44 am MagicJack. I joined them years before everyone had a cellphone and you plugged a phone into your computer to use it (sorta like the old internet shops around town offered long distance calling). Now it is an app on my smart phone.
I heard about them but have not any research. Google and Skype won’t work, already checked. Understandable that text and 2FA are the same, but VoIP’s run on the internet, not cellular, and a lot has to do with the ISP addresses some of these companies use. The businesses that recognize a VoIP number will not give out a 2FA sms for security reasons, because they can detect it’s a virtual phone number.

The only VoIP that I have found so far who claims will work is Tossable Digits. They claim that they work with any major banks 2FA except Wells Fargo.

Thanks for the info, I will do some research on them.

Just did some reading on them. Looks like they only port landline phone numbers to virtual landlines/cellphones.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Mine technically is a landline in Delaware. But I do get and send SMS, so.../shrug
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic