If you could start any business in Cambodia..

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: If you could start any business in Cambodia..

Post by mannanman »

CaliforniaGuy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:43 pm Once thought a drinking water quality assessment business would be a good idea. Certainly is needed with 70-75% of the population living in rural areas with arsenic, toxic algae, pathogens, etc. But those who would need it most couldn't afford it. And if they did find they had water quality problems, what would they do about it? Fixing takes money. So one would have to setup some kind of NGO, partner with government and other NGO organizations, the UNESCO, etc etc etc. Seemed like such a nightmare so much time involved with so little return. So gave it up preferring to continue with my present job of holding down my hammock while trying to grab that cold nearby beer.

Probably a better idea for most expats: make money in your home country, spend it in Cambodia. :beer3:
Those who could afford it don’t need it.
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

mannanman wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:05 pm
CaliforniaGuy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:43 pm Once thought a drinking water quality assessment business would be a good idea. Certainly is needed with 70-75% of the population living in rural areas with arsenic, toxic algae, pathogens, etc. But those who would need it most couldn't afford it. And if they did find they had water quality problems, what would they do about it? Fixing takes money. So one would have to setup some kind of NGO, partner with government and other NGO organizations, the UNESCO, etc etc etc. Seemed like such a nightmare so much time involved with so little return. So gave it up preferring to continue with my present job of holding down my hammock while trying to grab that cold nearby beer.

Probably a better idea for most expats: make money in your home country, spend it in Cambodia. :beer3:
There are various government bodies/ organizations that do this. We are living on an alluvial plain and the dangers of arsenic contamination are well known.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:02 pm
mannanman wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:05 pm

There are various government bodies/ organizations that do this. We are living on an alluvial plain and the dangers of arsenic contamination are well known.
Do they check it in PP and other cities?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

With the number of accidents I’ve seen posted on here, you could probably make a killing on a tow truck service.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Done the painting, the garage. All too hard. No wanted to pay for quality painting. Khmers demand paint on the glass and the floors.
So there is no swim school? My 10 year old Khmer is shaping up as a competitive swimmer- huge feet.
I told her she could be a swim instructor in Cambodia when she grows up.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Depending on the budget, a "Learn to be Chinese" school, with an attached, "Adult Adaption Centre," Chinese flag manufacturing, "Chinaland Fun Park (Dizzyland)," Bail Bondsman equivalent, Chinese Airline.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

A girly bar but for old ladies from Europe. Picture it, loads of young boys around the same age as the girls in girly bars. They sit around telling these old ladies how beautiful they are :beer1:
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

tightenupvolume1 wrote:A girly bar but for old ladies from Europe. Picture it, loads of young boys around the same age as the girls in girly bars. They sit around telling these old ladies how beautiful they are :beer1:
I almost did that some years ago with two barang ladies helping me. Found a good venue in BKK1, lined up a number of hunky Khmer, barang and black guys as staff and agreed prices and expectations. Then both of the barang ladies found boyfriends at the same time and they lost interest in the ‘toyboy bar’ project. I didn’t want to do it in my own so it never happened.
With tourists and female expats returning maybe it’s something to consider again…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

A health resort with a bar across the road.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:11 pm A girly bar but for old ladies from Europe. Picture it, loads of young boys around the same age as the girls in girly bars. They sit around telling these old ladies how beautiful they are :beer1:
had a friend in patong that opened a gay friendly boy gogo bar back in the late 80's, early 90's

did very good business with after hour bar girls, gays and tourists>
The bar girls' loved coming in and having someone who was paid to pay attention to them, the gays loved the small thai boys and the Japanese loved the boys as well

Needless to say not all the dancers were 100% gay.

Find a niche and fill it :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic