Sihanoukville Police Conduct Stop and Search for Drugs and Guns

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville Police Conduct Stop and Search for Drugs and Guns

Post by Cooldude »

There seems to be more guns in Cambodia now than there has been the last 20 years. All of these handguns were unheard of before Sihanoukville was taken over.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:50 am There seems to be more guns in Cambodia now than there has been the last 20 years. All of these handguns were unheard of before Sihanoukville was taken over.
I do not know about Sihanoukville but when I lived in SR, there were plenty of people with guns around and quite a few of them were proud enough to show me. I was at a party when the talk turned to guns and a fair number of people pulled out their favourite hardware to admire.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Now in Sihanoukville -- instead of all the old French corpses, the ugly Americans and fat Germans -- the women are going to waste on these rotten Chinese gangsters and hoodlums... Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

hanno wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:24 am
Cooldude wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:50 am There seems to be more guns in Cambodia now than there has been the last 20 years. All of these handguns were unheard of before Sihanoukville was taken over.
I do not know about Sihanoukville but when I lived in SR, there were plenty of people with guns around and quite a few of them were proud enough to show me. I was at a party when the talk turned to guns and a fair number of people pulled out their favourite hardware to admire.
How many of them were not Khmer?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

orichá wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:37 am Now in Sihanoukville -- instead of all the old French corpses, the ugly Americans and fat Germans -- the women are going to waste on these rotten Chinese gangsters and hoodlums... Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose...
I wonder which they prefer?
People of the world, spice up your life.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:08 am
It's a little bit surprising that the reporters left out whom had been detained for the said offence's, it's more than usual for them to write "foreigner" not to discriminate Chinese. Khmer and Westerner are common when reporting. But this article names no nationality.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Apollo91881 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:48 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:40 am The authorities inspected 135 vehicles in a stop and search operation for explosive weapons and drugs in Village 1, Sangkat 3, near Prince Shopping Mall, Preah Sihanouk.
Sihanoukville Provincial Police said that as a result of this cooperation, nine people were arrested in five cars, including two women. The officers confiscated 1 small bottle of white powder of suspected drugs and 4 pistols.

That's pretty good for one night. Imagine what they could do in one month.
Imagine what they could do around the rest of the city :)
Someone should put that on the Cambodian tourist board website.

"Visit Sihanoukville where 1 in 33 cars has an armed gangster driving it."
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:12 pm Someone should put that on the Cambodian tourist board website.

And those are just the ones that got caught. I imagine there were also a couple left untouched because recognized faces and some others quick enough to slip a few notes.

Or is that a tad too pessimistic?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:16 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:12 pm Someone should put that on the Cambodian tourist board website.

And those are just the ones that got caught. I imagine there were also a couple left untouched because recognized faces and some others quick enough to slip a few notes.

Or is that a tad too pessimistic?
And the ones who saw the roadblock in time to throw a u-turn and make a getaway. Roadblocks are only effective if the cars are trapped well before they see the roadblock, and I doubt they have the smarts to do one properly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:08 am
It was extremely rare for any foreigner to be caught with a gun until a few years ago. Now it's regular, and they are nearly always Chinese. They often seem to use quite modern guns too, and converted blank guns are popping up a lot recently.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic