Novak Djokovic says he’d rather skip Wimbledon and French Open than get a coronavirus vaccine

Title says it all really...
Raoul
Tourist

Re: Novak Djokovic says he’d rather skip Wimbledon and French Open than get a coronavirus vaccine

Post by Raoul »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:00 am So he’s willing to skip the vaccine, making himself more susceptible but also putting everyone else’s lives in danger. He should be banned anyway.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Novak Djokovic says he’d rather skip Wimbledon and French Open than get a coronavirus vaccine

Post by mannanman »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:25 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:55 pm I reckon he didn't have much choice but say that following the Aussie fiasco.. otherwise he'd have absolutely no integrity and lose face.
Or maybe he truly believes in freedom of choice and said it because of that and not because he's worried about losing face.
That’s a myth. There is no freedom of choice, even in the US.
People of the world, spice up your life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

mannanman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:29 am
Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:55 pm I reckon he didn't have much choice but say that following the Aussie fiasco.. otherwise he'd have absolutely no integrity and lose face.
Or maybe he truly believes in freedom of choice and said it because of that and not because he's worried about losing face.
of course there is.
you can do this or do that

He made the right choice for him and i admire him for it, shame on anyone that thinks he did it so he wouldn't "lose face" :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

It's quickly eroding, and that's a shame.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:39 am
of course there is.

He made the right choice for him and i admire him for it, shame on anyone that thinks he did it so he wouldn't "lose face" :stir:
I didn't say he did it to save face...that's your interpretation. I made the point that had he changed his vax stance, he would've lost integrity/credibility and yes, 'lost face' in the eyes of the public in the process imo. There's a difference. So I have no shame in saying that :lol:

As I said, IF he'd decided to get vaxed for the purposes of doing the US and French open, then I do believe he'd have no integrity/credibility following the Australia incident and yes, he would lose face in the event he did that.

So, he's stuck to his conviction which I expected him to say and do and really no surprise.. He's obviously accepted the consequences of his decision on his tennis career so that's fine.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

With the end of covid restrictions in the youkay, I don't see any obstacle to his participation in Wimbledon any longer

Even covid positive people don't have to self isolate

Covid panic is over/ending
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

At least he has principles. I respect that.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Ryan754326 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:16 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:00 am So he’s willing to skip the vaccine, making himself more susceptible but also putting everyone else’s lives in danger. He should be banned anyway.
The narrative that someone getting the vaccine protects others from infection in any meaningful way has crumbled.
I know far more vaccinated people who have been infected lately than unvaccinated people, probably because they’re the ones who are allowed to go out and socialize with others.

The only person the vaccine really protects is the person who gets it. Djokovic is only putting himself at risk, but then he’s not the type of person who is at any real risk from covid anyway. As far as I know, he’s already beaten the disease.
By protecting himself, wouldn't he be protecting others? You could reply by stating it only protects the jabee from serious implications (if that's the case).
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:39 am
of course there is.
or don't do this and can't do that

Yeah, it's good if you're right. I agree. However, we don't know for sure that the latter isn't true (not the shame part, the misfacement bit). PR in all.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Let's break down the OP article further..https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis ... ar-AATSarF
The world’s top-ranked men’s tennis player, Novak Djokovic, said in an interview broadcast Tuesday that he had not been vaccinated against the coronavirus and was prepared to forgo playing in Grand Slam tournaments rather than be forced to take a shot.
No one is forcing him to take a shot but it is a condition to play at the tournaments. Disingenuous of him to use the word 'forced' then imo.
In an interview with BBC News, the Serbian star said it was a “misconception” and “wrong conclusion” that he was part of the anti-vaccine movement, stating that he supported the freedom to choose.
Although he has been championed by those in the global anti-vaccine movement, “I have never said that I’m part of that,” he added.
He may not be part of the 'movement' in a deliberate way but I think what he fails to realise is that he is a celebrity as the world's No 1 tennis player and like it or not his reputation has an impact on the community. Celebrities can be role models and set an example for the rest of the community and by exercising his choice of not vaccinating, he sends a certain message to the world contrary to the government one and that was what the Australian judge ruled about. He can't ignore the effect his reputation has.
“I was never against vaccination,” Djokovic said. “I understand that globally, everyone is trying to put a big effort into handling this virus … but I’ve always represented and always supported the freedom to choose what you put into your body, and for me that is essential.”
This sounds very hollow and selfish to me. "I'm not antivax at all...I understand its part of a big effort for handling the virus...good for 'other' people...BUT, please, please don't count me in and I refuse to help''.

This was conveniently left out:
Governments, employers and public health officials globally have encouraged coronavirus vaccination and championed its primary role in quelling the spread of the deadly virus. In many countries, those who are unvaccinated face the loss of their jobs and greater travel restrictions.

People who are vaccinated and boosted have considerable protection from serious illness, top health officials have said, with the unvaccinated more vulnerable to death and hospitalization from covid-19. Health officials have also argued that getting vaccinated helps to protect others, including the immunocompromised.
Where I come from there is still a disproportionate number of unvaxed tying up ICU and hospital wards. Therefore other surgeries and preventative and/or elective hospitalisations are placed on hold at the risk of subsequent deaths.

So it's incorrect to say the unvaccinated are only putting themselves at risk. Maybe if they were strict in isolating but will they do it? Human nature being what it is..
Djokovic, who has tested positive for the virus twice, said he has never downplayed the severity of covid-19 — which has so far killed more than 5.8 million people globally.

“Millions of people have and are still struggling with covid around the world, so I take this very seriously,” he said.
Yes, takes it very seriously...so much so that within days of learning he had covid he was NOT isolating and mixing around taking interviews and photo shoots with people. There's even some doubt that his positive covid test was valid.
As far as I know, he’s already beaten the disease.
You can get covid again and pass it on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic