Arsenic test kits for water?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Arsenic test kits for water?

Post by AE86 »

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to see if arsenic test kits are available here to purchase? I've seen Ph testers but little else, and I don't know how to explain what arsenic is in Khmer.

I'm looking to test some water out of a fairly shallow ground well.

Thanks in advance,
AK
-insert signature here
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Arsenic test kits for water?

Post by Kammekor »

AE86 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:45 pm Hi everyone,

I've been looking to see if arsenic test kits are available here to purchase? I've seen Ph testers but little else, and I don't know how to explain what arsenic is in Khmer.

I'm looking to test some water out of a fairly shallow ground well.

Thanks in advance,
AK
I have never seen those tests but Pasteur can run tests for arsenic.
dude
Expatriate

Post by dude »

RDIC (https://rdic.org/water-quality-testing/) in Phnom Penh should be able to do the testing you require.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Thank you for the links, guess I may have to go that route. Was hoping to buy the testing equipment myself because I want to test multiple wells and do so on a frequent basis.

If anyone has any other info, feel free to speak up.

Cheers
-insert signature here
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

New test to detect arsenic contamination in drinking water

An economical and easy-to-use biosensor could reduce the chance of being poisoned by arsenic – a common contaminant of wells in parts of Asia.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/new ... king-water

Arsenic in Cambodia

The presence of arsenic in Cambodian groundwater was first documented during a small groundwater quality survey conducted by the WHO and the Cambodian government in 2001. Since the initial discovery, several thorough surveys have been undertaken by organizations such as UNICEF, RDI, and Cambodian Ministry of Rural Development (MRD). Six provinces were found to have elevated arsenic risk: Kampong Cham, Kampong Chnang, Kampong Thom, Kandal, Kratie, and Prey Veng. The Royal Government of Cambodia responded to the crisis by forming the Arsenic Inter-Ministerial Subcommittee in 2001 to begin directing government policy on the issue. Additionally, the Ministry of Industry, Mines, and Energy approved Cambodian drinking water quality standards in 2004. MRD and UNICEF also developed an Arsenic testing database and conducted well testing along with RDI.

http://rdic.org/arsenic/#:~:text=Six%20 ... he%20issue.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic