covid mental health problems

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: covid mental health problems

Post by siliconlife »

This seems like a bit of non-sequitur to me. Any war causes mental health crises... If we're not comparing the war to covid, I'm not sure what the point of this topic is?

To me the mental health issues are relevant to today because I believe they could have been avoided during covid. In the war it was non-negotiable, you get bombed and slaughtered, you're gonna have issues come out. I couldn't care what the media is saying, that's my opinion.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:08 pm So two years of lost school time which is what is said in the media is actually a couple of months. below is from a bbc website

"School pupils across the UK have lost around a third of their learning time during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new study.

Pupils in Wales were, on average, the hardest hit, missing out on around 66 days of learning, with pupils in Scotland missing out on 64. Pupils in Northern Ireland and England missed out on 61 days over the year. There are normally 190 days in a school year.

Researchers at the London School of Economics and the University of Exeter have been trying to work out what students have missed out on with schools closed during the pandemic."
I think it's a bit over simplified. Those numbers are based on school closures due to government measures. But kids don't just miss school because of that.
Sick teachers, teachers in self quarantine, classes in quarantine because of infected classmates, kids in quarantine because of infected parents....

The actual numbers per kid are much higher due to other factors, for instance the once I mentioned.
Two years? No way. 66 days? No way just the same.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The mass hysteria and sheer idiocy that came with Covid will be much harder to eradicate than the virus itself!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Thank you, Interesting. I wonder how all this trauma affected society in the 50s and 60s when the war was over ?
As was mentioned, the war was not mentioned often. One has to look forward and focus on the opportunities, while learning from history's mistakes.

They had toppled the devil, and life was good. You don't want your kids being dragged through the trauma. Good guys ruled, bad guys were Fonzed, and the Waltons said goodnight until it was time to say good morning.

Then Vietnam came along and many (most) said "Fuck that!", because by then, Ritchie Cunningham had dreadlocks and was on a psychadelic trip, consensually screwing anything that moved, while listening to Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, until they turned 27.

Even this pandemic rarely comes up in face-to-face conversation, albeit a different level of concern seems apparent here.

After every pandemic and other adverse life experiences, there is a boom. During the events, supply drops, so coming out the other side, we see supply meeting a demand that has been waiting, cashed up, and the compounding demand keeps suppliers busy for some time; dependent on the length of the event.

Last year saw records broken on the stock markets, largely due the benchmark set by 2020 and, IMO, we are seeing mini booms as each variant dissipates.

With every downtime comes opportunities, and some people find difficulties (skepticism, procrastination) in opportunities, while others find opportunities in difficulties.

The 50's is the decade I would choose to live my life in, were I not rich, and more recently with wealth.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
NitaV
Tourist
Australia

Post by NitaV »

Alex wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:55 pm The mass hysteria and sheer idiocy that came with Covid will be much harder to eradicate than the virus itself!
I'd say so, my family back in Aus who never even left their country stand stay the hysteria there anymore. They're wanting to join me here in Cambodia and they are the most patriotic people I know.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Alex wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:55 pm The ... sheer idiocy that came with Covid will be much harder to eradicate than the virus itself!
Speaking of which, anyone needing a couple hundred toilet rolls can text me on 012 345 678.

Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic