Covid positive

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Covid positive

Post by Cooldude »

That is true. But it is often the case that viruses can trigger a consequential bacterial infection especially viruses that affect the respiratory system like the flu and covid. Runny nose and phlegm running down the back of the throat. Back in Jan 2020 I caught what I thought at the time was the flu (but now suspect covid) and got the flu like symptoms ie temperature, hot and cold, body aches and pains and runny nose. Within a day I had a cough and another day a much deeper one that urged me to go to a doctor urgently who said I had bronchitus already. I had no choice but take antibiotics at that point. He said if I didn't treat that quickly it can develop into pneumonia.

I got sick with the exact same symptoms in January 2020 while in Phnom Penh. I let it go too long because I thought I had Dengue and mine did turn into pneumonia.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:02 am OP, don't know if you're on stomach acid reducers, but I know many are.

If you are, quit taking them while going through this. If not the virus might pass on to your intestines because of lack of (virus killing) acid in your stomach which might lead to all kind of trouble there if you keep taking the whatever-zole medication.

For the rest, monitor your fluid intake. Put yourself on a schedule of at least 3L a day and try to stick to it.
Not having stomach acid problems.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:05 am OP - I wouldn't take medical advice from anyone on this forum were I you
Online couch doctors know everything. :bow:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:39 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:05 am OP - I wouldn't take medical advice from anyone on this forum were I you
For the avoidance of doubt,"Paracetamol, pizza and Netflix" was not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. :beer3:
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Last year I spoke with a doctor back home in terms of what would be the best "at-home" approach if we happened to catch covid.

He told me:

1. Water. Drink a lot of water throughout the day.
2. Continue to eat, small meals throughout the day if you suffer loss of appetite.
3. Continue to get some fresh air and sunshine.
4. Acetaminophen over Ibuprofen for fever.
5. Blow your nose and keep your airways as clear as possible.

He also added that if the fever could be controlled he recommend getting some light exercise once a day - like walking or doing some pushups - anything to keep your body feeling more normal but nothing that will have you drenched in sweat.

Thats about it. Nothing spectacular. Good luck.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Oh no!
My advice - drink lots of water to keep hydrated, as you will get very feverish and sweaty.
Make sure you keep eating, even though you can't taste or smell anything.
Sleep as much as you need to and don't push yourself.

So sorry to hear this, get better soon!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Drop a sachet of Royal-D in that water to keep you hydrated.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:39 am
I am sure staying home is getting boring, so to help pass the time here is the Covid death rate calculator produced by the University of Queensland. Rates are per 10,000 so divide by 100 for the % rate.

And here is some relative risks for a comparison. Apparently you are twice as likely to die from being hit by lightening than eaten by a shark (don't believe that, Australian Tourist Board propaganda).

My risk rate, assuming Sinovac is as good as AZ or Pfizer ( :lol: ) is 0.4 per 10,000 or 0.004% or 1 in 25,000. Apparently, I am 5 times more likely to die from choking on food.

full list is here
https://corical.immunisationcoalition.o ... _risks.pdf

https://www.immunisationcoalition.org.a ... cluded.pdf
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Last week, the CDC released data which demonstrated natural immunity was 2.8 times as effective in preventing hospitalization and 3.3 to 4.7 times as effective in preventing COVID infection compared with vaccination, according to Makary.
“We found that immunity was strong, nearly two years out from the infection,

https://www.clarkcountytoday.com/news/n ... PJVSheAo9I
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:15 pm Last week, the CDC released data which demonstrated natural immunity was 2.8 times as effective in preventing hospitalization and 3.3 to 4.7 times as effective in preventing COVID infection compared with vaccination, according to Makary.
“We found that immunity was strong, nearly two years out from the infection,

https://www.clarkcountytoday.com/news/n ... PJVSheAo9I
Is there a test that can determine who has natural immunity?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic