The Kep Revival

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Kep Revival

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:00 pm
SlowJoe wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:47 pm I have no idea, but I rode around for about 3 hours and 150 kms yesterday in Kep and holy shit the amount of earth moving lorries I had to dodge was something else, so there's a whole lot of something going on.
new 2.7kms beach and lots of people are filling in their land with dirt from the mountains
Its more usual for them to fill land (raise it) because they are fearful of flooding, is that a possibility? Because no authority would have looked at any concerns of the normal person.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:37 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:00 pm
SlowJoe wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:47 pm I have no idea, but I rode around for about 3 hours and 150 kms yesterday in Kep and holy shit the amount of earth moving lorries I had to dodge was something else, so there's a whole lot of something going on.
new 2.7kms beach and lots of people are filling in their land with dirt from the mountains
Its more usual for them to fill land (raise it) because they are fearful of flooding, is that a possibility? Because no authority would have looked at any concerns of the normal person.
The eastern part of Kep province towards the Viet border is shockingly low in places. There's a shoreline and a meter of "cliff" and then hundreds of hectares of paddy behind ready to be destroyed by the next swell in the gulf. I find these sea reclamations highly dubious too. A storm could whack the whole thing out in no time. There's a reason coastlines exist.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:57 pm
The eastern part of Kep province towards the Viet border is shockingly low in places. There's a shoreline and a meter of "cliff" and then hundreds of hectares of paddy behind ready to be destroyed by the next swell in the gulf. I find these sea reclamations highly dubious too. A storm could whack the whole thing out in no time. There's a reason coastlines exist.
I swear I noticed some areas that seemed even lower than the sea on the other side while on my way to the border.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Kep city in the 60"s.

Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:59 pm Kep city in the 60"s.

the music is super cool
work is for people who cant find truffles
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

truffledog wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:31 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:59 pm Kep city in the 60"s.

the music is super cool
Yep.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Great find, Chuck. (!!)
The shots of the super cool beachside scene circa 1960's are fab. Very reminiscent of many beautiful coastal locations all over the world at that time - but with the added magic of being in that brief epoch when Cambodia reached its highpoint of modern sophistication.
Very super cool.

Great to see the coast so natural too.
But the treasure for me was the boat that appears briefly, in the background, at min 4:08.
A Malaysian built bedar.

A fuzzy, but nevertheless clear pictorial demonstration that some of the coastal Muslims are more a part of the culture (and history) of the great Muslim trading /coastal /fishing peoples who have ruled most of SEA seas to the south for centuries - than they are related to the majority of Cambodian Muslims who have stemmed from the ancient Cham civilisation.

And a clear example, which aligns with some oral histories i have heard, of how these ties were still active right up until the KR time.

Here is another bedar i knew. In Darwin harbour 1977. This boat sailed to Cambodia too. but never made it out.
I have another photo (somewhere) of another Malaysian bedar that dropped anchor on Koh Kong for the monsoon season about 6/7 years ago. Also out of Darwin.
Theee perfect sailboat if you want to rule, or just a super cool ride, all over the SEA seas.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:27 am Very reminiscent of many beautiful coastal locations all over the world at that time - but with the added magic of being in that brief epoch when Cambodia reached its highpoint of modern sophistication.
Around the 00.22 mark you can see the road is un-surfaced mud, doesn't look much like modern sophistication. The problem with these 60s videos is that they show what they wanted people to see. Outside of very specific places the country was far from being modern. I always thought the Kep City signs were hilarious, no sign of a city in hundreds of kms.

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

You're such an incurable romantic, JB.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Just being realistic, travel between provinces was very difficult in those days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic