Phnom Penh's Famous Sokha Hotel For Sale - Only $1.5b

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Phnom Penh's Famous Sokha Hotel For Sale - Only $1.5b

Post by mannanman »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:22 am The Burj Khalifa cost $1.5B. That building is worth about 1/10th that, and most of the value would be in the land, not that eyesore of a building.
Which also doesn’t make a profit (without taking the costs to build into account).

Regarding Bokor. It’s been a retreat way before any of the Cambodians alive today were even born. Not sure why people say it’s going to fail, fail in what way? Not make a profit, no customers?
Same as that 42 floor monolith. “It’ll fail”, “They’ll go bust”, “They won’t build 42 floors!”.
Yes they will and they’ll be others.
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:03 am
Regarding Bokor. It’s been a retreat way before any of the Cambodians alive today were even born. Not sure why people say it’s going to fail, fail in what way? Not make a profit, no customers?
Same as that 42 floor monolith. “It’ll fail”, “They’ll go bust”, “They won’t build 42 floors!”.
What are you trying to say here? Have you been up Bokor recently? The developments up there have all failed, many are abandoned. Gold Tower 42 was abandoned again after the gold windows were put on, it's still a shell inside. It's unlikely to ever be finished because of the structural damage from being unfinished for over a decade.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:09 am
mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:03 am
What are you trying to say here? Have you been up Bokor recently? The developments up there have all failed, many are abandoned. Gold Tower 42 was abandoned again after the gold windows were put on, it's still a shell inside. It's unlikely to ever be finished because of the structural damage from being unfinished for over a decade.
Yes I have and it’s a mess. To clarify; it’s obvious that things are shite and slow but long term (5/10 years) it will be a popular destination and/or holiday home retreat just like it has been for decades.

Heck, I doubt it was profitable 70 years ago!
People of the world, spice up your life.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

[quote]Heck, I doubt it was popular 70 years ago![/quote]

It was popular when it first opened in the 1920s - mostly because French people enjoyed the cooler climate there. I'm not sure this is much of an attraction for Khmers.
It definitely wasn't profitable 70 years ago because it was abandoned in the late 1940s due to Viet Minh/ Khmer Issarak insurrection and much of it was destroyed. It didn't open again till 1962 and was abandoned again ten years later.
If it ever is to become popular again other than for day trips some thought will have to be put into how it is developed, so far there isn't much sign of that happening.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

belief can trasform mountains
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Just another way to look at this. In 2020 Cambodia's GDP was about 29 billion USD. Source: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY ... cations=KH

Here's a hotel on offer, with some land, with an asking price of just over 5% of the GDP of the entire country in last year.

I know the informal sector is large, very large, but still. One single hotel worth over 5% of the countries national earnings in 2020. Seriously?

Another thing to put things into perspective, the market cap of the Hilton group is about 40 billion.

The Marriott about 50 billion.

One hotel in Chroy Chongvar 1.5 billion.....
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:56 pm Just another way to look at this. In 2020 Cambodia's GDP was about 29 billion USD. Source: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY ... cations=KH

Here's a hotel on offer, with some land, with an asking price of just over 5% of the GDP of the entire country in last year.

I know the informal sector is large, very large, but still. One single hotel worth over 5% of the countries national earnings in 2020. Seriously?

Another thing to put things into perspective, the market cap of the Hilton group is about 40 billion.

The Marriott about 50 billion.

One hotel in Chroy Chongvar 1.5 billion.....
Thank you for spelling this out so clearly. I struggled to put into words the obvious...

Sokha Group in general has been hemorrhaging money for years with all these failed projects...but I get the distinct impression something else is going on here with this ridiculous price.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Felgerkarb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:10 pm ...but I get the distinct impression something else is going on here with this ridiculous price.
Maybe trying to see how far the Chinese will go in their buying spree.

New Triad HQ.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic