Trouble with Roaming SIM card for two step authentification

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Trouble with Roaming SIM card for two step authentification

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I have a SIM card that is valid until some distant date in the future, since I used to top up a lot and it got extended for a long time.

As a result, I thought I would have no problem using that SIM on some online accounts that require a phone number and use that number for two step authentification.

I left Cambodia and I thought it was on roaming. But I had no coverage (it said 'no network'). I just called Cellcard and they said roaming is turned off. He was just telling me that he cannot turn it on when my VOIP credit was cut off (calling Cambodia from abroad is pretty expensive).

Is there any way to turn on roaming from outside the country? I think the Cellcard app also has to be activated with an SMS over the air code.

I assume this is the reason why its not working. The SIM shows no coverage anywhere since I left Cambodia.

If you have any way to help that would be really appreciated. Thanks.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Trouble with Roaming SIM card for two step authentification

Post by mannanman »

Doesn’t matter how much you top it up. Most networks carriers have time limits - if you don’t top up it invalidates the number and after a time it gets reissued if you do nothing.
The maximum I’ve seen is three months, but you have to turn that feature on.

Roaming is done via your phone not the sim.

Have you tried ringing it, it’ll say if it’s invalid or not.
People of the world, spice up your life.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:21 am Doesn’t matter how much you top it up. Most networks carriers have time limits - if you don’t top up it invalidates the number and after a time it gets reissued if you do nothing.
The maximum I’ve seen is three months, but you have to turn that feature on.

Roaming is done via your phone not the sim.

Have you tried ringing it, it’ll say if it’s invalid or not.
The telcos might have changed their policy since a few years ago. When I call the number to check credit, or check it by SMS it says my SIM is valid for several more years.

So the issue is not the validity of the SIM, it's that roaming is not working. According to my call to Cellcard yesterday, roaming is not turned on.

Does anyone know a cheap VOIP method to call Cambodia? Skype is 27 cents per minute.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:10 pm When I call the number to check credit,
How are you doing that?

Are you using a USSD code like #823# ?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I'm not doing it now. I used to do it when I was in Cambodia. I was in Cambodia for a long time, and whenever I would check it would always show validity until a distant time. And yes, it was #823# I believe. Or was it #824#?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Yeah, but, can you do that now? I guess not.

If you can use USSD codes, you can activate roaming with #8910#

https://www.cellcard.com.kh/en/internat ... appy-roam/
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Yeah, I mean if roaming is not activated and its showing no service then I don't think the USSD code is going to work.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Is roaming switched on?

Is the country you're trying to roam in supported by Cellcard?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:33 pm Is roaming switched on?

Good question! Where I am, roaming is not available for Cellcard. I thought that was the problem. Then when I visited my home country, it turned out it wasn't working there either. (and my home country is in their list) Which I thought was strange,

Then when I called Cellcard last night long distance, they said that roaming is turned off. The guy said he couldn't turn it on, and seemed to be trying to do it, but then I got cut off due to insufficient credit.

That's why I'm looking for cheap VOIP calls to Cambodia.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:38 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:33 pm Is roaming switched on?

Good question! Where I am, roaming is not available for Cellcard. I thought that was the problem. Then when I visited my home country, it turned out it wasn't working there either. (and my home country is in their list) Which I thought was strange,
Not just the country, you also need access to Cellcard's network partner's network, for instance in the Netherlands that's Vodafone. If you're in an area where there's no signal from them there's still no roaming.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic