Worth getting a 4th vaccine?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Worth getting a 4th vaccine?

Post by xandreu »

I assume most of us resident in the Kingdom have by now had 3 jabs - 2 Sinovac and one AZ?

There are now reports of a 4th vaccine being offered, I think I read it would be the Pfizer but not sure. I know it was originally being offered only to health workers and those on the front line, but would I be right in saying that it's now being offered to anyone in Phnom Penh? I remember reading that Pfizer was being offered as a 4th shot but only in PP due to the conditions it has to be stored in, and that anyone in the provinces who wanted one, would have to travel to PP to get it, which I assume means it's available to the general public if anyone wants it? I might be wrong, I haven't really kept up with it lately as much as I used to.

The reason I'm asking is because I recently saw a report that the reason China is still pursuing a zero covid policy, and doing things like locking down entire cities based on just three cases of Omicron being detected, as they did just recently, is that they are aware that their own vaccines, Sinovac and Sinopharm, offer little to no protection against Omicron, but of course, China being what it is, it's not prepared to admit this publicly and would prefer to continue locking entire cities down.

Which makes me wonder how protected we are here in the Kingdom. I've had 2 Sinovacs and an AZ shot. How much protection does that give me (or us?)

And even if Pfizer was freely available as a 4th booster, I'm not sure I'm happy having so many different varieties of vaccines swimming around my bloodstream.

This, coupled with the fact Omicron is less severe anyway, I wonder what others would feel about getting a 4th shot? Bearing in mind Delta is still (as far as I'm aware) the dominant strain here. Does the fact that most people are vaccinated with shots other than the Chinese made ones play a part in the less severe effects of Omicron, or is Omicron just less severe anyway, vaccine or no vaccine?

Apologies for yet another COVID thread, but I thought this one deserved a thread of its own. Fee free (MODS) to add it on to one of the other COVID threads if necessary.

But any thoughts??
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Worth getting a 4th vaccine?

Post by Random Dude »

I haven't been keeping up with vaccine news much myself and I might be wrong but I think I remember reading that the problem with the delta strain was that vaccines become less effective to it over time, hence the need for another booster at some point.

As long as delta is still the dominant strain there it might be something else to consider when making your decision.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I think you need to highly consider your actual risk. Are you over 65? Do you already have serious health problems/comorbidities?

If you believe the vaccines are perfectly safe, why not keep going and going? If you think there MIGHT be risks of a new vaccine that they're still studying, maybe you decide it's just not worth the potential risks, but it's up to you and a doctor you trust to ultimately decide.

No matter what you think, you have to realize that we probably don't have all the correct data.

2 months ago the experts were saying you were 5 times better protected if you had a vaccine than if you had natural immunity:

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... l-immunity

This week they're revealing that natural immunity is actually 6 times more protective than the vaccine:

https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/covid ... elta-wave/

I believe all that above is talking about Delta risks.

If you're talking about Omicron, the Pfizer CEO says that 2 shots offer 'very little protection, if any,' and also mentions they're working on a new vaccine version that should be more effective against Omicron than the current version:

Are they going to admit the same thing about the 3rd and 4th jab next year after they've sold a few more billion doses? Who knows.

A lot of factors to consider. I'm very much pro-vaccine, but these Covid vaccines are very new and it's debatable if the experts are handling it all correctly and if we're receiving accurate info about the risks, etc. *NONE of this should be taken as medical advice, just my opinion.

I had Covid, along with all my family who got together for Christmas, and we all did fine, thank Buddha. It was a flu. (All except the one unvaccinated family member who already had it last year.) Even grandma who's in her late eighties who's only had the first 2 Pfizer shots did fine.The pregnant wife and I are unvaccinated and we did fine, too. Her doctor was leaning towards her getting the monoclonal antibodies treatment because she's pregnant, but even that has now been revoked by the FDA for emergency use, so what's sound medical advice from the experts today is outlawed tomorrow.

We assume we had Omicron, but don't really know that for a fact, as the tests just say positive or negative for Covid-19.

That's all my experience with Covid, but that's just one side. There's also the side of, 'it's safe and effective and you're a total moron if you don't get your 4th jab ASAP.'

Maybe you just need CBD, a new study finds, lol:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvn743/ ... rd_twitter

Israel is getting their ass kicked by Covid after 4th shots, so is the answer a 5th shot or what?

https://nypost.com/2022/01/18/fourth-co ... SocialFlow

And those conspiracy doctors at Duke University are still studying to see if a horse dewormer (Ivermectin) is helpful in the fight against Covid:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... ar-AASYIvj

The media and half the planet would surely label you an 'anti-vaxxer' for even asking if a 4th booster is worth getting on a public forum.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Had my first in October, J&J, I'll bide my time and listen to the "science"
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

With the new variant seemingly much less severe I’d not be in a rush for a 4th shot, but I’ve had Pfizer 3 times. I may be more inclined if I had the weak Chinese vaccine to get one of the others.

Going forward I’m expecting and ok with getting these annually just as flu shots.

Anecdotally, I’ve had family get Covid recently and been very sick but manageably so. I’ve also had a friend mid- 40’s that nearly died, but that was during Delta.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Wear a mask & all will be just dandy.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

I’ve not heard of there being much if any data around a 4th shot yet, so it seems premature to develop any kind of opinion on it.

Every now and then an article appears saying Pfizer, AZ or whoever are making variant-targeted jabs, but they don’t seem to be making it to market. I get the feeling they’re waiting for right variant to come along…
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I was f;cked about from the very beginning of the vaccinations all because it now came to light the people in charge wanted to sell me the AZ. When I returned to the vaccine center instead of getting my booster, I was to have two more Sinovacs instead. Now I am waiting for the time to clear when I can have the booster.
Last time I was at the vaccination center the staff we're sitting together around the table without customers.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:01 pm
As long as delta is still the dominant strain there it might be something else to consider when making your decision.
Actually, it sounds like sounds like Omicron is most of the cases in Cambodia now by a long shot (which is great news, me thinks, as it's clearly a lot less deadly than Delta):

'Experts are of the view that the Delta and Beta strains may still be in the community but what is dominating at the moment is the Omicron variant which is taking a surge with many people infected with it.

Since December 26, the Health Ministry has received very few cases of people infected with the Delta strain and those infected are mainly migrant workers as the majority of all the new Covid-19 cases are those infected with the Omicron variant, including the imported cases.'

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501013889/ ... a-strains/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Honestly, I'm so tired of everything related to all this that I couldn't be arsed to give a damn anymore...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic