Southeast Asia’s roads more dangerous than Covid

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

With death tolls higher than Covid-19 fatalities, Southeast Asian roads are some of the most dangerous in the world
by David Hutt January 26, 2022

“If I miss one exit, can I reverse my car on [the] expressway?” is a question posed on the new Twitter page for the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, Cambodia’s first proper motorway that is expected to open next year.

“Absolutely not,” was the answer. “You need to pay close attention to the signs on the expressway.” Another asked: “If I need to use [the] toilet, can I stop the car on [the] expressway?” The answer: “No. On the expressway, the driving speed is nearly 100km/h.”

There’s a good reason why authorities are preparing safety campaigns now. Last year there were more than 1,500 fatalities from road accidents in Cambodia, making it the leading cause of deaths in the country.

Interior Minister Sar Kheng, announcing these statistics on January 1, pointed to the positives.

The number of deaths on Cambodia’s roads last year was down from about 1,600 in 2020, he stated, which in turn was down from about 2,000 in 2019. But to put that into some perspective, there have been just over 3,000 deaths in Cambodia from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic, making road travel more perilous.

The analogy isn’t a perverse one. Writing in November 2020, Jitlakha Sukruay, a researcher at the Thailand Development Research Institute, argued that “if we go by the number of deaths, the coronavirus is not the country’s biggest public health problem. Road accidents are.”

Back in 2011, a World Health Organization (WHO) study called road-traffic injuries the “Silent Epidemic” in Southeast Asia. In our latest jargon, it could be called Southeast Asia’s persistent “pandemic.”

Across much of Southeast Asia, road traffic accidents are the leading cause of deaths and injuries. According to the WHO’s database of 2019, Thailand and Vietnam were the most perilous countries in the region, with a death rate of 32.2 and 30.5 people, respectively, per 100,000.

Next on the list were Malaysia (22.4 per 100,000), Myanmar (20.3), Cambodia (19.5) and Laos (17.8 ). Only two Singaporeans per 100,000 die on average from road accidents, by comparison.
https://asiatimes.com/2022/01/southeast ... han-covid/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Southeast Asia’s roads more dangerous than Covid

Post by cambo swa »

"There’s a good reason why authorities are preparing safety campaigns now. Last year there were more than 1,500 fatalities from road accidents in Cambodia, making it the leading cause of deaths in the country."

No, not really. TB kills kills many more thousands per year in Cambodia than road fatalities.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am "There’s a good reason why authorities are preparing safety campaigns now. Last year there were more than 1,500 fatalities from road accidents in Cambodia, making it the leading cause of deaths in the country."

No, not really. TB kills kills many more thousands per year in Cambodia than road fatalities.
After all this jabbing against Covid, do you mean they don't vaccinate against TB ?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

What about the Chinese-caused accidents and deaths on these Cambodia roads statistics ?
How big a chunk of it are they ?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:03 am
cambo swa wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 am "There’s a good reason why authorities are preparing safety campaigns now. Last year there were more than 1,500 fatalities from road accidents in Cambodia, making it the leading cause of deaths in the country."

After all this jabbing against Covid, do you mean they don't vaccinate against TB ?
I tried looking for stats in this, but there’s conflicting results. Some sites say that vaccine uptake is very low, but this WHO report suggests close enough to 100%:
https://www.who.int/immunization/monito ... ta/khm.pdf

First result on Google was this article from 2016 in which some random Khmer hospital doctor cites some anecdata to push an antivax stance against BCG - a vaccine that’s been successful in erasing TB from other countries worldwide for over 70 years. Not sure if anything came of it.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/25714/doct ... n-no-good/

The impression I get overall is that they are jabbing, but as with most vaccines the number of breakthrough infections is going to be higher if there’s already a lot of it about as a result of previous generations not having access. TB seems to be one of those things that lingers in your body long term.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I am surprised that there isnt even more deaths per year considering the overall conditions (road quality, driver skills, vehicle conditions, etc.)
work is for people who cant find truffles
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

I have a medium sized motorcycle. When I have the wife on the back, I drive like an old lady. When I'm on my own, which is most days, I drive like the locals; I pull out of side roads, overtake to turn right, cut red lights, U-turn anywhere and ride down one-way streets. When in Rome ;-)
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

What I find interesting is how many people seem to get angry when someone mentions all of the things that kill more people than covid in SEA.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ryan754326 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:36 am What I find interesting is how many people seem to get angry when someone mentions all of the things that kill more people than covid in SEA.
More people die of heart attacks, therefore we shouldn't care about road safety.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

I always thought it was malaria / dengue to be honest
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic