Carrying ID?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Carrying ID?

Post by Eeyan »

Hi folks, greetings from an endlessly cold and grey London...

I've Googled and tried searching around this forum to no avail, so please could you advise if it's mandatory to carry ID such as your passport in Cambodia?

Heading over to PP in the middle of Feb for 3 weeks, I've lived and worked in other countries in the region where ID is mandatory but we carried passport copies in wallets.

Obviously doesn't seem sensible carrying your passport out every time you're out in the bars, so wondered what the accepted way of doing things is.

Many thanks.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Re: Carrying ID?

Post by bossho »

copies are fine, copy your vax stuff too and carry that more importantly
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Just make small, credit card sized laminated copies... not worth the risk of losing or having your passport stolen.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I've rarely carried ID, unless driving a car, then ofc my license, copies are the way to go

I wouldn't sweat it, unless you are an individual who has frequent clashes with police, you probably won't ever be bothered for hard ID

I frequently have used a jpg of my passport as ID for hotel etc, no biggie
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yea the only time I'm ever asked for my passport is when we go to stay out in the small provincial villages with family, never ever get asked for it in towns/cities.

I started carrying a laminated credit card sized copy of my passport with emergency contact details on the back just in case I keel over dead in the street or get hit by a car or something one day, don't want my family finding out by coming across pictures of my dead body on CEO or K440 :facepalm:
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Eeyan »

Excellent, thanks everyone 👍
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:47 pm Yea the only time I'm ever asked for my passport is when we go to stay out in the small provincial villages with family, never ever get asked for it in towns/cities.

I started carrying a laminated credit card sized copy of my passport with emergency contact details on the back just in case I keel over dead in the street or get hit by a car or something one day, don't want my family finding out by coming across pictures of my dead body on CEO or K440 :facepalm:
That would never happen. Both forums have a big, big, big Pixel machine.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

There is no legal requirement for a traveler to Cambodia to carry their passport/visa on them as they go about their daily activities.
However, there are situations where you are required to produce your passport for purposes of correct identification such as when checking in to hotels/guesthouses, some banking activities such as trying to cash archaic travelers cheques etc. or on demand by authorities if needed.

Passports may need to be scanned or photo copied by hotels/guesthouses and banks etc. but not retained.

Never use you passport as security for anything such as renting a motorcycle.

These days it is so easy to keep a good clear image of things like passport title page and hardcopy visa on one's i or smart phone for general use if required but original will be required for some purposes.

OML
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Eeyan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 am Excellent, thanks everyone 👍
Bring me some extra vintage cheddar cheese please :D
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Eeyan »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:57 am
Eeyan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 am Excellent, thanks everyone 👍
Bring me some extra vintage cheddar cheese please :D
Sure no problem.
Post a link from Sainsbury or Tesco, I arrive 19th.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic