Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by snookieboi »

I don't think many fully vaccinated travellers are going to bother with Thailand this year anyway, when there are other Countries they can travel to without needing to worry about taking covid tests on day 1 and day 5 (and the concerns of if they test positive on their mind) and the worries of having to take out a special covid insurance policy, and also so the hassle of having to book a special hotel, and transport.

The cost of the PCR testing is going to be expensive, plus the insurance cost, and the transport, etc .
Seems like a lot of hassle, and then of course Thailand wants to charge you a tourist tax??

:BangHead:
More than just any old backpacker.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

The new Test and Go/Sandbox rules -- to be published in Royal Gazette Wednesday -- read like the prep for a raid on an enemy encampment. Danger lurks around every tree, hill and landmine. There are 14 items to be mindful off, before, during and after. When you go on vacation, you don't want to stress out before you've even bought the airline ticket. What tourist will go through all this crap for a 2-4 week vacation with the family? Ludicrous.

With a roughly 3.75% infection rate, sudden expenditures of tens of thousands of baht will surely ruin that trip. From Richard Barrow:
According to the latest statistics for international arrivals, 3.77% of Test & Go arrivals and 3.88% of Sandbox arrivals tested positive. For some nationalities, the rate is much higher. Most are testing positive on their second test after holidaying in #Thailand for five days.
The numbers of travellers infected in the first 7 days are not reassuring. And what if you get infected before your departure flight?

Thai News Reports: Out of the 214 international travellers that tested positive yesterday, most tested positive on their 2nd test.
TG = Test and Go, S=Sandbox
Day 0: TG (15) and S (55)
Day 1-3: TG (1) and S (0)
Day 4-7: TG (20) and S (62)
After Day 7: TG (11) and S (0)

jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Anybody care to mention how many hundreds of thousands of tourists have arrived in Thailand since the 1 Nov 2021 when Test & Go started ?

I doubt anybody is expecting the normal number of tourist arrivals, per pre-Covid, but I get the strong impression some people will be surprised at how many international tourists are arriving, despite all the restrictions

The main issue for me, is that the vast majority of tourists currently in southern Thailand, ie Krabi & Phuket have virtually no interest at all in taking any pre-cautions, wearing masks, social distancing etc
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

jaynewcastle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 pm Anybody care to mention how many hundreds of thousands of tourists have arrived in Thailand since the 1 Nov 2021 when Test & Go started ?

I doubt anybody is expecting the normal number of tourist arrivals, per pre-Covid, but I get the strong impression some people will be surprised at how many international tourists are arriving, despite all the restrictions

The main issue for me, is that the vast majority of tourists currently in southern Thailand, ie Krabi & Phuket have virtually no interest at all in taking any pre-cautions, wearing masks, social distancing etc
I have been in southern Thailand recently. It's true a lot of tourists and locals there do not wear masks whilst outside in the beach locations. But about half of the tourists are very particular about wearing masks. I'd say a lower percentage of local Thais wear masks. But it's nearly 100% whilst riding a moto, whilst helmet wearing is about 20%. In Krabi town, mask wearing is near 100%.

As for the arrival numbers, they went up sharply in November as T&G began, and fell sharply in late December as it stopped.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

jaynewcastle wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:03 pm Anybody care to mention how many hundreds of thousands of tourists have arrived in Thailand since the 1 Nov 2021 when Test & Go started ?

Bet they wear a condom but.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm sure you're right that nobody is expecting pre-Covid numbers. But international arrivals are down by more than 90%, whereas in other popular tourist destinations with less idiotic restrictions, numbers might be down by "only" 50%. Mexico being such a case.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I travelled in transit through BKK airport last saturday, the flight from PNH-BKK was at 75% i would say, there were problems at PNH check-in as several people didnt know you need a covid-insurance even if transiting in BKK-airport. on arrival in BKK i had a 4.15h layover and was prepared to have some nice food and do some online-work, but was surprised: most of the food-place were closed. I walked about every corner from BKK-airport (yes i know its big), and in fact, the best i could find was a SUBWAY sandwich. If not counting the 1000 baht lounges (or what was the price, i didnt ask. If 90% of the foodplaces are closed, in my eyes, thats the best proof that there are hardly turists coming there !! When i arrived 7 hours later in Dubai, i was happy to see all the foodplaces open !! Flight was about 85% full, and the last leg Dubai-Amsterdam was loaded at about 40%, i had a row of 3 seats for my self, hallelujah covid, just lay down on an Emirates flight, should always be like that, not !! Belgium last night: -3C° !!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

from feb 1st::
https://cambodiaembassyinthailand.wordp ... ober-2021/
...But international arrivals are down by more than 90%,
even at that
that still leaves 4 million and TAT is hoping for 6 million arrivals for 2022 ( down 85%) which i bet they will get
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:41 pm from feb 1st::
even at that
that still leaves 4 million and TAT is hoping for 6 million arrivals for 2022 ( down 85%) which i bet they will get
Where to get health insurance for transit in BKK for Inter flight connection.
Cheers
Boredom is like a shroud
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cabron wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:54 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:41 pm from feb 1st::
even at that
Where to get health insurance for transit in BKK for Inter flight connection.
Cheers
https://www.tuneprotect.com/airasia/ipass/index.php
https://www.lumahealth.com/travel-insur ... insurance/
https://www.axa.co.th/axa-sawasdee-thai ... -insurance
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic