Mackerel Fishing Prohibited Temporarily Due to Mating Season

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mackerel Fishing Prohibited Temporarily Due to Mating Season

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Good to see some rules about responsible fishing in place to allow reproduction.

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): ON January 15, 2022, the fisheries authorities issued a prohibition announcement to all fishermen in the coastal provinces to temporarily stop fishing mackerel as it is the mating season.
The coastal provinces are Sihanoukville, Koh Kong, Kompot, and Kep. The prohibition will be from January 15 to March 31, 2022.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Mackerel Fishing Prohibited Temporarily Due to Mating Season

Post by truffledog »

I guess nobody will care. The fishermen cant stay without food or money for a long period.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

truffledog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:38 pm I guess nobody will care. The fishermen cant stay without food or money for a long period.
They can catch other fish. If they didn't do this there would be no Mackerel left in a few years.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yeee HAAA!!

About bloody time
best news i have heard for years - no joke Joyce this is really good tidings.
Maybe they are finally getting their fisheries management der #101 shit together because of the forthcoming collapse of the Tonle Sap fishery.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:05 pm
truffledog wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:38 pm I guess nobody will care. The fishermen cant stay without food or money for a long period.
They can catch other fish. If they didn't do this there would be no Mackerel left in a few years.
Nets don't decide which fish to catch and which one to let through. I am pretty sure all the fishers have adapted their nets as per this directive and they will change it back in two months time.

Pretty sure, but not fully convinced.....
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Good thing indeed, though I wonder how effective they'll be at enforcing it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Nets do decide which fish they catch to quite some degree. But that's not really an issue i think.
This is the main catch when and where it happens. The Fisheries officials know exactly who is catching what.

So that brings us to Bitte's point - enforcement.
If my guess is correct - that this is a Phnom Penh directed response to Cambodia's forthcoming protein shortfall - it will be enforced.
Just like the recent, dramatic, return to the state of mega hecteres of stolen/sold/encroached flooded forest around the Tonle Sap. That was quite genuine.
I hope this is too.

**Some other species overlap with the mackerel , in smaller numbers - but with similar breeding cycles and similar need for basic #101 protection.
Estuaries are closed off at breeding times in all the surrounding countries. Kh has been really laggard with this.

The plunder of the breeding stock coming into the estuaries, and of the concentrated schools of juveniles going out, is actually multiplied here - big numbers of Thai and Vietnamese boats come here to pick the eyes out of our breeding schools because they can't fish at home at that same time
(for a fee)
This is just small scale local fee-taking. Koh Tang at dawn, the fisheries boat came around to take the local tax from every Vietnamese boat, sometimes in squid. Everything noted down, presumably good book-keeping for the brass.
At a higher level. Upon the appointment of a new governor in one coastal province i know - all thai trawlers were banned, for a month or so - before the new "arrangements" were settled.

This is why i say this is the best news i have heard for yonks. There is some reason to believe that it may signal a crucial shift.
God knows i have been screaming to only echoes in the wilderness for years about this.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE

2022 Fishing Bans Notified
AKP Phnom Penh, June 02, 2022 --

The Fisheries Administration of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has imposed 2022 fishing bans for all fishing zones in Cambodia.

The recently released ban is applicable for all fishing zones in the provinces of Kampong Chhnang, Pursat, Battambang, Pailin, Banteay Meanchey, Siem Reap, Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear, Rattanakiri, Mondulkiri, Kratie, Thbong Khmum, Kampong Cham, and Kampong Thom from June 1 to Sept. 30.

This banning period also apply to the north of Chaktomuk River in Phnom Penh capital and Kandal province.

The fishing zones in the provinces of Prey Veng, Svay Rieng, Takeo and Kampong Speu, and the south of Chaktomuk River in Phnom Penh and Kandal province will be closed from July 1 to Oct. 31.

During the periods banned, fishing activities with any kinds of gear, except the family ones, are not allowed in order to preserve the fish resources in Cambodia.

According to the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, fishery products in 2021 was about 930,000 tonnes – 410,000 tonnes were freshwater products, 120,000 tonnes were marine products, and 400,000 tonnes were aquaculture products.

By Keo Sophal
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic