Looking for An Artistic Job

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
ines.ines
Tourist
Tunisia

Looking for An Artistic Job

Post by ines.ines »

Hello, I am a filmmaker, a scriptwriter and also a voice over artist. Even though, I can work online, I was thinking about the employment possibilites in Cambodia for someone that has the same profile. Of course, I wouldn't refuse any other jobs outside my working circle (for example in restaurants, hotels...)
Also, I would like to know if I will have to wait a long time to find work in Cambodia.
Thank you very much :)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: Looking for An Artistic Job

Post by truffledog »

so basically you would do anything? Troll alarm.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Better do your own thing than awaiting for opportunities then.
Many stuff made by locals & outsiders already, still room for interesting stuff.
It's a do-it-yourself land.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Grow your hair and beard like an old hippy,
dress down, then dress down again.
Turn up at a busy backpacker guest house /restaurant and just start painting on an ugly, out of the way, wall.

When they ask you what you are doing, ask them for room, meals, a few beers and a bit of of smoke.
Take your time, paint what you want, any style - as long as you paint well
keep going until the walls are all done - or like this bloke ^^ just vanish one night, pfft, with free spirited parisian girl 20 years younger than you. pfft.

Yeah like Ghost says it is very much a do-it-yourself place.
Dressed up or dressed down - you just gotta think on yr feet like an old hippy, be yourself, and surf the the opportunities that will present.
There are probably few places better in the world if like doing that.

oh yeah, one more thing... arrive with absolutely zip zot zero expectations.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

As Ghostwriter has mentioned, the days of sitting around waiting for jobs to come up are well and truly over. This is the age of do-it-yourself employment, especially in the creative industries as you're talking about. There's nothing about being a voiceover artist, scriptwriter, or even to some degree, a filmmaker that can't be done online - unless your work specifically involves making movies about Cambodia and it's essential that they're actually made in Cambodia.

The only advantage of being in Cambodia is that it is (or at least, can be) a very cheap place to live while you're coming up with and producing whatever projects you decide to work on.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Sure, there's a few photographers on craigslist who would love to take pictures of you, unfortunately they also work as directors and that'll end up being something completely different

Seriously, go sit in a bar/cafe and network. You aren't going to find shit by doing this
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ines.ines wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:20 am Hello, I am a filmmaker, a scriptwriter and also a voice over artist. Even though, I can work online, I was thinking about the employment possibilites in Cambodia for someone that has the same profile. Of course, I wouldn't refuse any other jobs outside my working circle (for example in restaurants, hotels...)
Also, I would like to know if I will have to wait a long time to find work in Cambodia.
I’m going to play devils advocate, and go out on a limb somewhat.

The OP has asked one question, having only registered on the forum today, this morning. The written English is clear, in a casual style. The chosen flag is for Tunisia.
I don’t really see much reason for this to descend into cutting quips and veiled criticism by the end of page 1, when there is little (or nothing) to suggest that the OP is using CEO as his sole means of exploring work opportunities here. He/they don’t immediately fit the monger/methhead type that we all too often encounter. There’s some pretty grubby characters who’ve wandered by CEO over the years, and some still linger.

Benefit of the doubt- well written English does not necessarily infer native speaker. Have we all become so cynical (before morning coffee has worn off)?

OP- Welcome!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ines.ines wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:20 am Hello, I am a filmmaker, a scriptwriter and also a voice over artist. Even though, I can work online, I was thinking about the employment possibilites in Cambodia for someone that has the same profile. Of course, I wouldn't refuse any other jobs outside my working circle (for example in restaurants, hotels...)

It's certainly possible. I know quite a few people who make films/ are photographers or work in other creative fields. However they are all quite established, know the place well and know how to pick up work. It's not really the sort of thing you could be sure of succeeding in here, as above you'd need to be here and get around and meet people. Good luck.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hello OP,
Are you in Cambodia now, or is this a possible future plan ?
Either way, I would investigate and contact Cambodian art/film associations to ask about possible openings for work.(For example, take a look in the CEO Culture forum for some names of Cambodian companies and people that are creating things at the moment.)
Good luck.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Don't stay in Cambodia. You can always hold shows/events/clinics here when you have a project going. I'd head south. Bali, Singapore, Malaysia and Australia. It's easier to find like minded people there, and the arts council's actually get funded in those places.

Find a base to work from in the region. Meeting people in the same arts field should be as easy as going for a coffee. And investment/patronage is easier down south. There are brokers, schools, meetups and international studios.

Starting as a working artist is hard by itself. Don't make it harder on yourself by coming here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic