PNH Duty Free Cigarette Prices

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

PNH Duty Free Cigarette Prices

Post by ash333 »

Does anyone remember what cigarettes cost in Phnom Penh duty free?
A friend of mine is flying to the UK from Phnom Penh shortly and will bring me some. He's got a couple of stops en route, just trying to figure out where will be cheapest.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: PNH Duty Free Cigarette Prices

Post by Username Taken »

Different brands are different prices. Might help if you name your preferred poison.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I recall something like US$23/carton for my brand, Mevius; a very similar price for the Marlboros. This was in early 2019 at a PNH duty-free shop after getting stamped INTO Cambodia. I didn't buy there because I knew I could get them cheaper downtown: about a $1.50 a pack at the time.

There's a couple of vendors at the Central Market (Tsar Tmei) selling cartons of various brands. Still, I guess even US$23 is far cheaper than ciggies in the UK, or any other western country.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The central market vendors have sleeves (10 packs) of many brands, starting from about $10.

Duty Free doesn't mean profit free and many of these airport shops pay crippling rents to be there and have to get it back somehow. For genuine products such as cosmetics, after shave etc they are possibly good value, but be sure you know your prices.

As for ciggies, they are so cheap here they are effectively duty free.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:54 am The central market vendors have sleeves (10 packs) of many brands, starting from about $10.

Duty Free doesn't mean profit free and many of these airport shops pay crippling rents to be there and have to get it back somehow. For genuine products such as cosmetics, after shave etc they are possibly good value, but be sure you know your prices.

Yes, there are two vendors at the SW corner of Central Market. Cheaper than any duty free shop I would say, certainly cheaper than PNH. And AFAIK, genuine products.
I was talking to a Golden Virginia tobacco smoker who buys from the Central Market and from a shop on 172. The two products are noticeably different, priced about the same, $23 for 250g. He has compared both with genuine GV from BKK airport and he reckons the CM stuff is genuine and the 172 stuff is fake but he actually usually buys it because he prefers the taste. I had a look at both and the fake one did look better quality!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cheaper to buy outside, duty-free prices are higher.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:44 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:54 am The central market vendors have sleeves (10 packs) of many brands, starting from about $10.

Yes, there are two vendors at the SW corner of Central Market. Cheaper than any duty free shop I would say, certainly cheaper than PNH. And AFAIK, genuine products.
I was talking to a Golden Virginia tobacco smoker who buys from the Central Market and from a shop on 172. The two products are noticeably different, priced about the same, $23 for 250g. He has compared both with genuine GV from BKK airport and he reckons the CM stuff is genuine and the 172 stuff is fake but he actually usually buys it because he prefers the taste. I had a look at both and the fake one did look better quality!
My experience has been the opposite - fake cigarettes at CM* and proper cigs at Navy Shop on 172. $12.50 a carton.
After an "indepth investigation" into the fake cigarettes at CM, I discovered that they were selling two variants of the same brand. You ask for Malboro Light - seller pulls out a packet (that is real), then you say how much for a carton ? $12.50. Then they reach under the counter and give you a carton of "fakes". And I noticed this because they were a really shit smoke.
:dm:
Finally, after further investigation at CM, I found out that you could actually buy a carton of "fakes" for $10, and the real smokes were $12.50 - except that the vendor was selling the fake cigs for $12.50. There was a way to tell the difference from the packet - you had to check the name and country of manufacture, but don't remember the details.
Anyway, all this was a long time ago when $2.50 per carton seemed like a lot of difference, I was buying cigarettes to resell, and I had time on my hands. These days I would just go to Lucky Drink on Monivong or Navy Shop on 172.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:23 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:44 am

My experience has been the opposite - fake cigarettes at CM* and proper cigs at Navy Shop on 172. $12.50 a carton.
After an "indepth investigation" into the fake cigarettes at CM, I discovered that they were selling two variants of the same brand. You ask for Malboro Light - seller pulls out a packet (that is real), then you say how much for a carton ? $12.50. Then they reach under the counter and give you a carton of "fakes". And I noticed this because they were a really shit smoke.
:dm:
Finally, after further investigation at CM, I found out that you could actually buy a carton of "fakes" for $10, and the real smokes were $12.50 - except that the vendor was selling the fake cigs for $12.50. There was a way to tell the difference from the packet - you had to check the name and country of manufacture, but don't remember the details.
Anyway, all this was a long time ago when $2.50 per carton seemed like a lot of difference, I was buying cigarettes to resell, and I had time on my hands. These days I would just go to Lucky Drink on Monivong or Navy Shop on 172.
Here in Thailand, Camel (Yellow and Blue) and Mevius (Original, Sky Blue and Wind Blue -- the latter unavailable for 2 years now) are made in the Philippines by Japan Tobacco Int. I'm fairly sure the Marlboros (I don't like them) are made there too. Most Marlboro smokers I know are not all that keen on Filipino Marlies.

Prices just went up (yet again) a couple of months ago. Camels are 72 baht/US$2.25 a pack, which is considered cheap here and Mevius runs 160 baht/US$5. I switched to Camel Blues (60 bt) from Mevius (150) at the previous price gouging, saving 90 baht/US$3a pack!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I buy a brand called Cocopalm, they match the taste and strength of Benson & Hedges or Regal. A sleave of 10 packs are @$3.10, or 13.000rial in the city.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic