Serbia demands Australia move Novak Djokovic to a nicer hotel

Title says it all really...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Serbia demands Australia move Novak Djokovic to a nicer hotel

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Lawyer Toma Fila added: “He was subjected to humiliating treatment. He should sue.”
Of course he would say that..haha

Sue where... High Court of Australia or International Court? Bring it on! :plus1:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Federal Court reveals why it upheld decision to send Novak Djokovic home

The Federal Court says it was “plainly open” to Immigration Minister Alex Hawke to infer that Novak Djokovic was opposed to vaccination against COVID-19 and that young and impressionable Australians could emulate him when the minister cancelled the tennis star’s visa.

In its written reasons for rejecting the legal challenge by Serbian tennis player, published on Thursday, the Federal Court said that while someone else in Mr Hawke’s position may have made a different decision, the minister had not been “irrational or illogical” when deciding to cancel the visa.

Under the Migration Act, Mr Hawke only needed to be satisfied that the presence of Mr Djokovic in Australia “may be, or might be, a risk to the health, safety or good order of the Australian community”, the court said, as it rejected all three grounds relied upon by Djokovic’s lawyers to challenge the visa cancellation.

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... 59pts.html

If you're keen, the full document for the decision.. https://www.judgments.fedcourt.gov.au/j ... 2fcafc0003
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Coincidence after the Novax Djoke affair? :roll:

Serbia backs out of controversial Rio Tinto lithium mine

The surprise U-turn from the government comes months ahead of likely parliamentary elections, with President Aleksandar Vucic's administration looking to shore up support from voters following weeks of protests that gained traction across the Balkan country.

"We have fulfilled all the demands from the environmental protests and have put an end to Rio Tinto in the Republic of Serbia," said Premier Ana Brnabic during a televised address.

"Everything about the Jadar project is finished," she added, referring to the mine that was set to be built in western Serbian.

Full: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-21/ ... /100771758
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:59 am Coincidence after the Novax Djoke affair? :roll:

Serbia backs out of controversial Rio Tinto lithium mine

The surprise U-turn from the government comes months ahead of likely parliamentary elections, with President Aleksandar Vucic's administration looking to shore up support from voters following weeks of protests that gained traction across the Balkan country.

"We have fulfilled all the demands from the environmental protests and have put an end to Rio Tinto in the Republic of Serbia," said Premier Ana Brnabic during a televised address.

"Everything about the Jadar project is finished," she added, referring to the mine that was set to be built in western Serbian.

Full: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-21/ ... /100771758
Hard to tell, but many Serbs, including their president were furious, and Serbian politicians also have to win elections.

I think, Mr. Djokovic, through his own actions (and the lack thereof), bears most of of the responsibility for his forced exit from Australia, but the various Australian governments (!) and Tennis Australia need to take a serious look and do a post mortem as well.

Mr. Hawke had to do damage control that should never have been necessary in the first place.

I think this was not difficult to avoid with proper cooperation among the involved bodies. Own goal.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Breaking...

Nice to see the USA helping Au out with a bit of moral support.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:36 am Breaking...

Nice to see the USA helping Au out with a bit of moral support.
What they blowing up, a couple of sheep farmers, there's nothing there?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic