I cycled the new Kep beach today-

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I cycled the new Kep beach today-

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:47 am The Rong Rong's, boys and girls.
They've already started developing Koh Rong.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yeah JB, there is development happening all thru this island group - but i rekon that is the best bet for making a new beach spot for us guys.
Not many people want to go native like me in koh kong, but these islands have - and will have into the future, imo - nice places, relatively not overdeveloped, but with low key resort facilities.

It would probably help if we all/many zoned into the same location. Establish a market for the locals that want our biz plus other western tourists that like to congregate with like.
A number of westerners own property, and have homes, on these islands already. That's a solid base to start with.

Sure - everything in this country can be snatched away quicker than a sixpence can spin, but hey - lets not get too snowflake and just retreat back to holidays at home watching TV like in the good ol' covid days.
Time to get back to the beach.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:47 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:47 pm Beach?? its dirt
Yes Richard, and you clearly demonstrated that with one of your first photos on the other thread about this wonderful "beach".
Maybe it is just the base and they are going to put sand on top? (yes, somebody actually said that)

The Rong Rong's, boys and girls.
Or the still virgin hundreds of k's of koh kong coast and islands if you want to break new ground. Believe me, there are some gems still there.
That's my tip for our new resort/retreat/retirement dreams.

At least some of that will last until we are dead (c'mon.. it's not thaaat far away). I don't reckon Kep will be a pleasant option for another 12 months.
The people behind the old Otres village have actually purchased multiple heactares of land near one of the beaches in Koh Kong and are now building new "Otres village" there. I think this will be the backpackers area in future.

But yeah, there are lot of nice beaches and coastal area that are pretty much untouched still.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Yes Richard, and you clearly demonstrated that with one of your first photos on the other thread about this wonderful "beach".
Maybe it is just the base and they are going to put sand on top? (yes, somebody actually said that)

Or the still virgin hundreds of k's of koh kong coast and islands if you want to break new ground. Believe me, there are some gems still there.

At least some of that will last until we are dead (c'mon.. it's not thaaat far away). I don't reckon Kep will be a pleasant option for another 12 months.
The people behind the old Otres village have actually purchased multiple heactares of land near one of the beaches in Koh Kong and are now building new "Otres village" there. I think this will be the backpackers area in future.

But yeah, there are lot of nice beaches and coastal area that are pretty much untouched still.
They want $45/ sq M
https://www.facebook.com/groups/949219755459012/
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:08 pm The people behind the old Otres village have actually purchased multiple heactares of land near one of the beaches in Koh Kong and are now building new "Otres village" there. I think this will be the backpackers area in future.

GO for it guys - pleeease.
It would be nice to have somewhere to drop anchor every few weeks for an evening of good friendly social fierce argument.

And I promise i won't want to hang around very long.
:D
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

nemo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:42 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:08 pm

They want $45/ sq M
https://www.facebook.com/groups/949219755459012/
That would be a very good valuable investment for a long-term, keeping some natural habitat and obviously new development to keep the tourists and expats happy, but mostly keeping a part of Cambodia "Cambodia". It maybe something of a co-operative investment and development should be looked into.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Hey Andy, Ideally yes.
Unfortunately for us, what many of us think is our great strength "individualism and personal freedom" works against us here.

Our ancestors would have formed a tribe, the Visgoths would have made a fortified permanent encampment. The Pilgrims a town and the Jews a Quarter, The hippies would have called it a commune, the Dutch - a great co-operative trading house.
We are just like individual single grains of sand being shifted by the tides to a new place up the coast every day.

I can't see us mob getting anything organised together. unfortunately.
But maybe with us gnarly old expats as a core, plus tourists - we could kinda just naturally gravitate to one or two particular destinations that hold promise - and start digging in and "making our mark".

Is there any chance the government could see any value in a nominated "western tourist" region? To give us some security for our plans.
Probably not. ??.
But at least it should be bought to their attention that investment will flow (both local and foreign) to an area like this - if there was some kind of official sanction offered. And it would grow the local economy generally.
On the other hand Cambodia might miss out entirely on the western (and other SEA) beach resort trade if none of it has a western-friendly feel.

keep thinking
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:30 am Hey Andy, Ideally yes.
Unfortunately for us, what many of us think is our great strength "individualism and personal freedom" works against us here.

Our ancestors would have formed a tribe, the Visgoths would have made a fortified permanent encampment. The Pilgrims a town and the Jews a Quarter, The hippies would have called it a commune, the Dutch - a great co-operative trading house.
We are just like individual single grains of sand being shifted by the tides to a new place up the coast every day.

I can't see us mob getting anything organised together. unfortunately.
But maybe with us gnarly old expats as a core, plus tourists - we could kinda just naturally gravitate to one or two particular destinations that hold promise - and start digging in and "making our mark".

Is there any chance the government could see any value in a nominated "western tourist" region? To give us some security for our plans.
Probably not. ??.
But at least it should be bought to their attention that investment will flow (both local and foreign) to an area like this - if there was some kind of official sanction offered.
On the other hand Cambodia might miss out entirely on the western (and other SEA) beach resort trade if none of it has a western-friendly feel.

keep thinking
Your last remark, keep thinking, now there lies the problem. And then the opportunity has passed by. One of the parts you overlooked, the investor buys and develops a little, possibly with other outside investment and then sells at a profit to some Chinese investors.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

No see, Andy, that would be one of our little rules.
If you sell out to the chinese you get summarily shot.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 am No see, Andy, that would be one of our little rules.
If you sell out to the chinese you get summarily shot.
Probably my favorite rule among all the rules I've read about. Ever.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic