Cambodia to switch on internet gateway Feb. 16: NYT

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia to switch on internet gateway Feb. 16: NYT

Post by timmydownawell »

Would this affect Skin Musk's Starlink? What downlinks and gateways do his satellites use?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:51 pm Would this affect Skin Musk's Starlink? What downlinks and gateways do his satellites use?
Oh, are you suggesting that Musk would be forced to route all Cambodia starlink traffic through the Cambodia gateway? Yeah that does sound like a possibility. Presumably he’ll be doing whatever it is he’s doing for China.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:51 pm Would this affect Skin Musk's Starlink? What downlinks and gateways do his satellites use?
Oh, are you suggesting that Musk would be forced to route all Cambodia starlink traffic through the Cambodia gateway? Yeah that does sound like a possibility. Presumably he’ll be doing whatever it is he’s doing for China.
I guess it probably would be. Government couldn't have a loophole like that available. I don't know how Starlink's routing works but your dish receiver's MAC address would probably be enough for them to send your data to a Cambodian earth station and into the gateway.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:46 pm
I guess it probably would be. Government couldn't have a loophole like that available. I don't know how Starlink's routing works but your dish receiver's MAC address would probably be enough for them to send your data to a Cambodian earth station and into the gateway.
In my ignorance I’m assuming that the satellite would know broadly where you were by virtue of knowing where it was. I wonder if they’re set up to tell what direction your signal came from as well? It’s not technologically impossible but probably would have to have been part of the design before they sent it up.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:32 pm
In my ignorance I’m assuming that the satellite would know broadly where you were by virtue of knowing where it was. I wonder if they’re set up to tell what direction your signal came from as well? It’s not technologically impossible but probably would have to have been part of the design before they sent it up.
Starlink only sells this service in countries where they're licensed. A license in Cambodia would involve going through the government's gateway.
Of course it's possible to buy their gears and set it up in Cambodia but whether it's still working after the beta phase remains to be seen.
For Starlink it's very easy to locate your dish and check if it's in the area you purchased it for or not. If outside, they can easily legally cancel it.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:18 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:32 pm
Starlink only sells this service in countries where they're licensed. A license in Cambodia would involve going through the government's gateway.
Of course it's possible to buy their gears and set it up in Cambodia but whether it's still working after the beta phase remains to be seen.
For Starlink it's very easy to locate your dish and check if it's in the area you purchased it for or not. If outside, they can easily legally cancel it.
Technology is moving much faster than your thinking.
Those are todays and yesterdays rules. Tomorrows rules will be Starlnk will not have to sell its services to any government or go through any gateway as they will be dealing directly with you and sending / receiving signals from their mini stats.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Tootsfriend wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:39 am Technology is moving much faster than your thinking.
Those are todays and yesterdays rules. Tomorrows rules will be Starlnk will not have to sell its services to any government or go through any gateway as they will be dealing directly with you and sending / receiving signals from their mini stats.
I fear you may have an overly optimistic view of the reach of the law (and also China’s ability to shoot down satellites they deem to be illegal).
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

No country has the right to shoot down another's satellite. A country's airspace ends where low earth orbit begins.
Scarier than malaria.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

ali baba wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am No country has the right to shoot down another's satellite. A country's airspace ends where low earth orbit begins.
They wouldn’t be shooting it down for invading airspace, they’d be shooting it down because they’ve declared that deliberately transmitting on unlicensed frequencies to their country is basically adjunct to a form of piracy. Whether or not you’d agree with their definition would be largely irrelevant since I can’t imagine the international community doing much about it.

I’m not suggesting it’d be their first response of course, realistically they’ve got plenty of diplomatic and legal options at their disposal that should be more than enough to get a satellite to stop broadcasting to them.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I hope they do not break the internet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic