Is it worth investing in GRAB?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Wkkep
Expatriate
Australia

Is it worth investing in GRAB?

Post by Wkkep »

We know a Khmer local that lost pretty much everything during the lockdowns.
Is it worth investing in a GRAB tuk-tuk?
I'm thinking that there will be more tourists, but there will always be a local wanting a delivery.
Your thoughts?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is it worth investing in GRAB?

Post by Alex »

If that Khmer local has any qualifications that set them apart from the masses that could be a Grab driver, picking something that is a little more specialized would be a good idea. I doubt a Grab tuk-tuk is a good investment - if and when business will pick up, what's stopping many others from becoming Grab drivers as well?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Friends of mine invested in a classic TukTuk about 8 years ago. The first 4-5 years the sponsored Khmer (he would only pay maintainance & fuel) could live from that sponsorship. Its been almost over a year the tuktuk is parked at his home around 50km from PP and not used anymore to its original purpose (its a micro transport tuktuk now). He decided to have a stand at the market selling fresh produce in his hometown as earnings from TukTuk driving were not enuf anymore to feed his family. Grab has worsened the situaton of the drivers as charging "over"fees is not possible anymore.The missing tourists for the time beeing was the second blow to him. Car taxis (city taxis i mean) will be the next competitors i believe, With all the dust and dangers from trucks, buses, SUV and imcompetent drivers of them tuktuk's are not a safe way to travel anymore.
work is for people who cant find truffles
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I would be looking at food production. Small scale hygienic production of herbs and microgreens, chilis, red onion and mushrooms on rented land.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

One of my brother-in-laws purchased himself one of the Indian style tuk-tuks a few months before COVID restrictions hit, he is registered with Grab, PassApp, Tada and another one I can't recall the name of. PassApp put him on a 3 day induction & driving course, which I thought was rather impressive. He doesn't speak English so most of his customers are deliveries and locals, but he has no issues navigating via Google Maps if he is given the location. He lives in Takhmau but most of his business is in Phnom Penh, he works long days, but usually takes at least 1 day off a week. He makes enough to get by and has paid his tuk-tuk off, and between him and his wife, who owns a beauty salon, they have managed to keep up with their mortgage payments throughout the pandemic. Hope that kind of helps with your question.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm One of my brother-in-laws purchased himself one of the Indian style tuk-tuks a few months before COVID restrictions hit, he is registered with Grab, PassApp, Tada and another one I can't recall the name of. PassApp put him on a 3 day induction & driving course, which I thought was rather impressive. He doesn't speak English so most of his customers are deliveries and locals, but he has no issues navigating via Google Maps if he is given the location. He lives in Takhmau but most of his business is in Phnom Penh, he works long days, but usually takes at least 1 day off a week. He makes enough to get by and has paid his tuk-tuk off, and between him and his wife, who owns a beauty salon, they have managed to keep up with their mortgage payments throughout the pandemic. Hope that kind of helps with your question.
Good for him.

Also I'd suggest checking khmer24 for used Indian tuk tuks. I've seen them for like $1500 on there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic