Getting Helped By Locals

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Getting Helped By Locals

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy wrote:
potty wrote:for example the neighbour, howling with their dogs around every midnight...
Here the dogs do a karaoke more or less every night/morning between 2 & 5am - one starts and it's all go. You can't do much about it (although I get up and throw stones when it's too close) - just don't take it personally.
Dogs howling at that time of night are usually barking at the joas (sp?).

:o
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
potty wrote:for example the neighbour, howling with their dogs around every midnight...
Here the dogs do a karaoke more or less every night/morning between 2 & 5am - one starts and it's all go. You can't do much about it (although I get up and throw stones when it's too close) - just don't take it personally.
Dogs howling at that time of night are usually barking at the joas (sp?).

:o
("Jao?" )

No, here at any rate it's because there's a small dog that can get through his gate into the street and winds up all the bigger dogs that can't get out. They also bark at cats, the moon etc - not much use as guard dogs since they are always barking - a bit like the alarms that go off all the time.
notax
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by notax »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:
potty wrote:yournot right int he head, are you?

as if this wouldn't happen back home much more often...

I have never had trouble/accidents with bicycle, bike or car, where not the first one stopped and helped. in Europe. within minutes, max.

back home, the ppl are much more helpful than here...
It's my experience at times like these locals are prone to take advantage of your situation as apposed to acting in good will, so much so, I thought I'd make a post about it.

I don't give a fuck what you think people would do at home - I'm not at home.
Always nice to hear some good story as its the bad ones that always get most attention. And I agree this is a situation were most would taking advantage of your situation.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:I awoke to a flat front tyre on the scooter and a belting hangover compliments of the new year. I hire the scooter from a mom and pop shop about one hundred metres from the villa I rent whom themselves rent the scooter from a friend of theirs who has a small scooter hire business on the other side of town.

Approaching mom pushing the scooter, she sees the problem and calls her friend to explain. (I would have been happy just to find a local guy to replace the tube, pay and be done with it) Her friend doesn't answer so mom calls someone else to find out where she is. That person calls to a house and locates her and tells her to call mom. She calls. Ten minutes later two young guys pull up and one drives off slowly on my the scooter to make the repair. I sit down at mom and pop's shop for a bit to start re-hydrating, then walk a few metres for a couple of chicken and rice dishes at their family members warung. (small local food stall/cafe) By the time I'd finished my food, maybe forty minutes later in total, the guy comes back with my scooter adorned with brand new tyres and tubes front and back.

Of course my natural reaction to the new tyres and tubes was, "Fuck, what are they gonna try get out of me for this", then mom says. "No pay. Before already broken".

It could have been one of those long drawn out, "But I didn't ask you to put tyres and tubes all round" kind of start to the day, but these people went out of their way and coordinated things pretty quickly so I could get about my day - without charge!! Suffice to say, I will only use mom and pop's shop for my bits and pieces like toilet paper, smokes, snacks etc from now on and will be sure to have a meal every couple of days at their family's warung.
Nice one, thanks for sharing.

SC and I recently had a flat tire outside pear TTP, there were quite a number (5-6) that came to help us and no one asked for anything. We have them something for their time but it was just really nice to have others come and help.
Using Tapatalk
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

did u need to use so many words...it's just strains my eyes....please dont waffle.....that means you as well francis....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

im not talking about shit-barking-dogs. its the howling.
they do that together with the dogs and its the owner, who starts... lol...
yeah, sounds crazy eh?

the guy here I have heard at least 3 times doing it, after a while it gets easier.

in Thailand they do it too...

but you guys, will still believe its all coincidence... ahahaha...

I have lived many times at places with dogs, a few of thehm at a time, the neighbours having any, all sort of combinations. THIS here, isn't normal. not at all. no dog(s) do that...

but hey, dream on that you have landed at a splendid place.. lolz
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

you also believe, that the dogs are harassing you on the street, just per chance...

somewhere a guy posted, this dogs have only trouble with foreigners... loooooooooool....

no dogs are harassing you by chance, except they are totally wild - which are only in abandoned parts of abandoned nonthaburi. otherwise they belong to someone.
no, these things are neither coincidence...
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

General Chatter wrote:did u need to use so many words...it's just strains my eyes....please dont waffle.....that means you as well francis....
Who? Me?
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic