Building a provincial house

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Building a provincial house

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:51 pm having just finished a smaller one < 2 bedroom/1 bath
i'd say….
between $35-45 grand,
Any chance of some pics?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Darkcel wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:50 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 am 30K for very Khmer style would be doable. Don't expect anything fancy though. Depends how big the bedrooms are as 3B could be quite large.
Good deal, I was hoping it wouldn't top 40k.

Probably going to go with a design from a cousin of the wife's, simple 50m² by 33m², we lose a bedroom but that would of been a guestroom anyway.
Khmer style lacks a concrete slab below the ground floor. Highly recommended to have one instead of soil filling.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 am 30K for very Khmer style would be doable. Don't expect anything fancy though. Depends how big the bedrooms are as 3B could be quite large.

Probably going to go with a design from a cousin of the wife's, simple 50m² by 33m², we lose a bedroom but that would of been a guestroom anyway.
Have you miss quoted because you opened the thread saying that you had land 20x20 and then you are going to put a house of your measurements above.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:51 pm having just finished a smaller one < 2 bedroom/1 bath
i'd say with the good roof, drop ceiling, water tank, aluminum windows with screens & bars, good doors, trim, wires IN the wall, fenced in property, western bathroom, semi western kitchen.
I do suggest 1 coat primer an 2 coats interior and exterior

3 bedrooms 3x4 each 4-5 months if u get it done before the rains start
between $35-45 grand, maybe less without the painting, cheap tiles, not expensive roof, cheaper windows, cheaper doors, exterior wires, etc etc

Do you need dirt? 20x20 plot will take at least 30 truckloads@ $20/
fenced in?
electric meter?
Beds?
hot water heater?
TV?
all adds up
I first met this guy some years ago when I was self-building a shed type construction on the bank of the Mekong River, it was in the far north of Cambodia and to be honest the Laos border criss-crossed the area like a jigsaw puzzle, just has the mixed population from the opposite riverbank and beyond, sometimes I wondered at times what country I was actually in because I had neighbours of Laotian, Thai and the obvious Cambodian. Lots of military services in the area because of the sensitivity of the border, and the visit I had from immigration immediately put me straight.
Nevertheless, phuketrichard and his young lady paid me a visit to see what I was up to with my build at the time, not a small journey by any means traveling from Phuket by car. I remember at the time he took a short journey with me over the Mekong River to Laos. I was having trouble with the language. It was here where he helped me with buying tools I was soon to be in need of, it makes the difference when one can converse fluent in the spoken language.
It doesn't surprise me to hear that once his partner finished her work contract in Thailand, and on returning to Cambodia that he settled quickly, building a house in the first few months.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:30 am

Have you miss quoted because you opened the thread saying that you had land 20x20 and then you are going to put a house of your measurements above.
Yes lmao, was on the sauce.

But we aren't using the whole 20m of land, going to keep some in front and back for the misses garden/garage.

Realistically I don't want to do anything with the land right now but fence it up, was hoping to buy the neighbors property but my wife doesn't want to wait, she's done with the city.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:27 am
i'd say with the good roof, drop ceiling, water tank, aluminum windows with screens & bars, good doors, trim, wires IN the wall, fenced in property, western bathroom, semi western kitchen.
I do suggest 1 coat primer an 2 coats interior and exterior

3 bedrooms 3x4 each 4-5 months if u get it done before the rains start
between $35-45 grand, maybe less without the painting, cheap tiles, not expensive roof, cheaper windows, cheaper doors, exterior wires, etc etc

Do you need dirt? 20x20 plot will take at least 30 truckloads@ $20/
fenced in?
electric meter?
Beds?
hot water heater?
TV?
all adds up
I first met this guy some years ago when I was self-building a shed type construction on the bank of the Mekong River, it was in the far north of Cambodia and to be honest the Laos border criss-crossed the area like a jigsaw puzzle, just has the mixed population from the opposite riverbank and beyond, sometimes I wondered at times what country I was actually in because I had neighbours of Laotian, Thai and the obvious Cambodian. Lots of military services in the area because of the sensitivity of the border, and the visit I had from immigration immediately put me straight.
Nevertheless, phuketrichard and his young lady paid me a visit to see what I was up to with my build at the time, not a small journey by any means traveling from Phuket by car. I remember at the time he took a short journey with me over the Mekong River to Laos. I was having trouble with the language. It was here where he helped me with buying tools I was soon to be in need of, it makes the difference when one can converse fluent in the spoken language.
It doesn't surprise me to hear that once his partner finished her work contract in Thailand, and on returning to Cambodia that he settled quickly, building a house in the first few months.
That's a good breakdown, do you happen to know when that property was constructed? I'd imagine it'll be more expensive now
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

That's a good breakdown, do you happen to know when that property was constructed? I'd imagine it'll be more expensive now
we moved into the house nov 1st

to fence in ( just cement poles, barbed wire) will set ya back around $800
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 pm You should be able to build a basic cambodian home on stilts for less than 10K. Depends on all the extras you want to add.

I don't think 10k will suffice anymore.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:54 pm
we moved into the house nov 1st

to fence in ( just cement poles, barbed wire) will set ya back around $800
Looks neat, But really not designed for the hot climate.. small windows with little to no natural ventilation/airflow.
It hopefully has airconditiong? as it looks like it would be very hot tbh..
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

no air, not hot at all, plenty of wind thru back door and windows>
wife wakes up each morning needing to put on a sweater
seldom even need fans in daytime
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic