Will Djokovic play or not?

Title says it all really...

Will The Minister of immigration allow Djokovic to play in the Australian Open?

Yes
16%
No
47%
Don't know
6%
Who cares?
31%

Total votes: 32
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Will Djokovic play or not?

Post by atst »

I voted No. I hope not the general public are sick of the privilege sports people getting around the rules everyone else needs to follow.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

atst wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:03 pm I voted No. I hope not the general public are sick of the privilege sports people getting around the rules everyone else needs to follow.
As a member of the general public, I am sick of the unnecessary rules imposed on us over the past 24 months & this case doesn't change that
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

hope not, travel for Australians coming in and out of the country has been significantly restricted for the last 2 years, so why should this cunt get special treatment.... its people like him who are promoting this anti vax bull shit that will lead to the hospitals being over run.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

OZ government treated him poorly: they double-faulted.
Immigration minister would have been on shaky ground trying to cancel his visa. (Judge angry, for sure diplomatic backlash and perhaps even public backlash.)
But as it turns out, Djokovic ran around knowing he was COVID positive and now admitted to it.
(Alternatively he lied with respect to his COVID result.)
(When I learned that I immediately thought: Nope.)
Serbian government also signaled not isolating when knowingly COVID-positive is clearly against their rules.
He double-faulted big time and committed a foot-fault (his travel history).
Fantastic tennis player but wIth this history he has become a distraction to the OZ open.

I think he won't be allowed to play and IMO he shouldn't play.

His best option: Apologize, withdraw, and take the next flight home.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Visa has been CANCELLED
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Novak Djokovic could be forced to leave the country within hours after Immigration Minister Alex Hawke used his personal power to cancel the Serbian tennis star’s visa, as his lawyers prepare to file an immediate injunction against the decision.

The move has thrown the tennis world no.1’s quest for a 10th Australian Open into turmoil with the tournament to begin on Monday.

Mr Hawke said on Friday he had used his power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Djokovic “on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so”.

The personal powers granted to the immigration minister to cancel visas are extremely broad.

If Djokovic doesn’t successfully appeal the decision, the laws dictate that he would be banned from being granted another visa for three years – however this can be waived.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Perhaps they will allow him to leave Oz and reapply, then rush him through.
Scummo is spineless enough to do that.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Breaking...

There has been some confusion and misinformation, Djokovic does have a valid visa, just the wrong one. And he will be allowed to stay -
He just has to pick mangos for six months.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:06 pm Breaking...

There has been some confusion and misinformation, Djokovic does have a valid visa, just the wrong one. And he will be allowed to stay -
He just has to pick mangos for six months.
If we're talking mangos, he could be the first 'guest' at Qld's white elephant quarantine facility.. Should be a tad better than the flea and maggot infested 'Blues' hotel aka detention centre in Melbourne :stir:

As Queensland opens up, Wellcamp’s first quarantine guests remain a mystery

The Palaszczuk government’s go-it-alone quarantine facility outside Toowoomba is ready for its first guests. But who they will be, or under what circumstances they will be directed there, remains unclear.

The Queensland opposition has again questioned the taxpayer value of the multimillion-dollar, commercial-in-confidence and privately owned village now that the state was leaving behind previously strict quarantine requirements.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Thursday that border checkpoints would come down from Saturday, allowing unvaccinated Australians quarantine-free passage into the state.

Queensland would also be a quarantine-free zone for suitably vaccinated international arrivals once the state reached its 90 per cent double-dose trigger point, which was expected as early as next week.

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath directed queries about the value of Wellcamp facility, now officially called the Queensland Regional Accommodation Centre (QRAC), to Deputy Premier Steven Miles, who was coordinating the government’s side of the project.

Mr Miles, who returned from leave this week, would not agree to an interview or answer questions.

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 59o0t.html
Locked Previous topicNext topic