Three years without a work permit.....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Three years without a work permit.....

Post by Chuck Borris »

3x100=300
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

HappyChappy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:32 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:02 pm
HappyChappy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:41 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm
HappyChappy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:29 pm

So I get that I will have to pay a backdated fee for work permits not paid for. Are you saying this will be in ADDITION to that?
I had an employer jerk me along in a similar fashion for a few years and then when the job finished still no WP, so technically I also had a $100 per year retroactive fine but I just got my new employer to sort it for me

Can someone tell me what the fuck retroactive means?
Do you know what "retro" means? Then do you know what "active" means?

Then you put those meanings together and we have retroactive!

Teacher, by any chance?
I am. And my brain is fried for the day. I'm strongly considering teaching them to jump out of a window.

On a serious note, my main question is, has anyone done it within the past year or two, because I've heard the rules have changed and you have to pay a considerable amount. Someone mentioned a "friend" being here just two years and having to pay an extra $600. But Chinese whispers are alive and well.

If anyone actually has personal experience please let me know.
I know one who had $500 to pay for five years missed WP so he just got a new passport and swerved the fines entirely by applying with the new one through an agent just six months ago
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

HappyChappy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:29 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:34 am You will have pay a $100 retroactive fee for every year you were in Cambodia on an E-type Visa or any E-type Visa Extension of Stay category without a Work Permit.
So I get that I will have to pay a backdated fee for work permits not paid for. Are you saying this will be in ADDITION to that?
If you apply for your WP within the renewal period 1st Jan - 31st Mar, there is no fine for previous years, just the retroactive WP fee for those years on top of this years WP fee.

If you apply outside of the renewal period, then yes there are fines...so make sure to apply during the renewal period only.

There have been no changes.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Darkcel wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:26 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:34 am You will have pay a $100 retroactive fee for every year you were in Cambodia on an E-type Visa or any E-type Visa Extension of Stay category without a Work Permit.
Do you know if they've happened to change the rules in the last 10-15 years? I know a fella who's been here since 06' and he's claimed that he's "grandfathered in" and doesn't require a work permit
Haha, no such thing. If he's working/owns a business he needs a WP, and will have to pay the retroactive fees for every year without.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Can someone be clear whether these are just standalone fines or are they fines on top of having to pay for the missed years of not having a WP?

Considering a WP is considerably more than $100 when done through an agent (because it's a PITA to do it yourself via the website) and if all you have to do is pay $100 for every year you've not had a WP, where is the incentive to get a WP? You may as well just miss a few years, eventually pay the $100 for every year you've missed, and still be quids in because you've either not had to pay the agency fees or you're paying the same amount as you would have done if you'd have done it yourself.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:39 pm Can someone be clear whether these are just standalone fines or are they fines on top of having to pay for the missed years of not having a WP?

Considering a WP is considerably more than $100 when done through an agent (because it's a PITA to do it yourself via the website) and if all you have to do is pay $100 for every year you've not had a WP, where is the incentive to get a WP? You may as well just miss a few years, eventually pay the $100 for every year you've missed, and still be quids in because you've either not had to pay the agency fees or you're paying the same amount as you would have done if you'd have done it yourself.

Or just lump your next employer with it, if they are too cheap to pay it, reconsider working with them

Works for me
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:39 pm Can someone be clear whether these are just standalone fines or are they fines on top of having to pay for the missed years of not having a WP?

The issue is that if the MoLVT conduct an inspection of the workplace, anyone found to be working without a WP will be fined and face possible deportation, the employer who employed those without a WP will only get a small fine and a slap on the wrist.

It's pretty fuxking simple...if you want to work in a foreign country, do so legally by obtaining the necessary permits (correct Visa EOS and WP)... it's not difficult or expensive.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

This thread's only mildly amusing... Nowhere near as funny as the "How to Pay Tax" one. :cry:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

HappyChappy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:30 pm
Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:28 am
HappyChappy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:59 pm My previous school delayed work permit assistance and said it was no big deal, when it finally gets done, I'll just have to pay backdated charges for the one I missed.

-> Easy to say for them, and now what ? will they pretend you never worked there, or pretend the person in charge of your file quitted a while ago ?

they now FINE you for not paying previously

-> It would be the logical conclusion, yes.
Better gear up you best excuses and find who is responsible for the delay at your previous school, and make them pay.
Not too sure it's possible to skip that part.
The owner. The general maganger. They're fucking incompetent so I expect they'll tell me to fuck off and I'm confident I won't have a leg to stand on??
Always get everything in writing
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic