Kaos in Kazakhstan

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kaos in Kazakhstan

Post by sigmoid »

Surprised no one has posted about this. It's been going on since yesterday and the situation seems to have deteriorated drastically overnight.

This article covers the latest developments and the background as well as some video clips:

Russian-Led Bloc Agrees To Send Troops To Restore Order In Kazakhstan

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... tan-unrest
After hours ago Kazakhstan's embattled President Tokayev formally requested the CSTO security bloc - which involves 6 former Soviet countries including Russia and Belarus - for military assistance to quell largescale uprising which was triggered over a rapid fuel price hike, the Kremlin has said it is sending Russian troops.

In the early hours of Thursday (local time), the Russian-led bloc approved the "peace-keeping" mission in the former Soviet satellite state along Russia's border to its south. Chairman of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), Nikol Pashinyan, has announced a "limited" mission due to the "threat to national security" of Kazakhstan. This after President Tokayev had blamed "external aggression" on the unrest which has seen government buildings torched and banks looted.

Also, US denies role in Kazakhstan uprising
https://www.rt.com/russia/545254-psaki- ... stan-role/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Kaos in Kazakhstan

Post by Darkcel »

I smell another Afghanistan for Russia
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:36 pm I smell another Afghanistan for Russia
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

A great pity, never been, but I heard Kazakhstan is vey niice.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:18 pm A great pity, never been, but I heard Kazakhstan is vey niice.
I was there for a while.
It’s got some good bits, some scars left over from their soviet years, a load of corruption.
Too many expats who go in expecting to meet Borat and his sisters, and trying to look down their noses at them, and a bunch of Russians with a chip on their shoulder now that the USSR is gone, and Moscow isn’t top dog.

I liked it. It’s the expats that ruined our time there.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:34 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:18 pm A great pity, never been, but I heard Kazakhstan is vey niice.
I was there for a while.
It’s got some good bits, some scars left over from their soviet years, a load of corruption.
Too many expats who go in expecting to meet Borat and his sisters, and trying to look down their noses at them, and a bunch of Russians with a chip on their shoulder now that the USSR is gone, and Moscow isn’t top dog.

I liked it. It’s the expats that ruined our time there.
Niice. Look, this is picture of my sister and goat.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

It’s a Mecca for ping pong playing, disco dancing potassium aficionados, by all accounts😉
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I worked on a road project in Balkhash 20 years ago, a pretty grim copper town between Almaty and Astana. While Almaty was okay this place was a different ball game, mainly due to an active turf war going on between the local criminal groups. Worst job I've ever had.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

What Kazakhstan’s Unrest Means for Russia
Moscow can walk into Kazakhstan and chew gum at the Ukrainian border with the recent unrest unlikely to upset its tactics further west.
By Colm Quinn, the newsletter writer at Foreign Policy.
January 7, 2022, 6:27 AM
Just as Russia prepares for crucial talks with the United States and NATO over its build-up in Ukraine and demands for security guarantees, a new crisis has begun in neighboring Kazakhstan, where protests over the government’s removal of fuel price caps have morphed into a larger reckoning with the authoritarian state.

With government buildings torched and the main airport briefly occupied, Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev called on the Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO), a regional security partnership in which Russia is the most powerful member, to provide peacekeeping support. The move threatens to upend Kazakhstan’s decades-long great power balancing act.

Russia’s deployment of roughly 2,000 troops isn’t expected to affect its build-up near Ukraine’s border, despite forces usually close to Kazakhstan now deployed west. The troop dispatch would be “rather small, but sufficient to demonstrate the regime has backing from Moscow,” Michael Kofman, director of the Russia Studies Program at the CNA Corporation wrote on Twitter.

As well as Russians, military units from Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan will make up a force of some 2,500 troops, a number not close to an invasion force in the world’s ninth largest country. It’s likely to be mainly charged with protecting key infrastructure.

And so far, there’s no sign of the protests being added to the list of Russian grievances ahead of next week’s talks, Olga Oliker, the program director for Europe and Central Asia at the International Crisis Group, confirmed via e-mail, with no real evidence of a broad push within Russia to label the turmoil as a “color revolution” as Moscow has described protests in Belarus, Georgia, and Ukraine.

What the CSTO entry has done is upset the equilibrium Kazakhstan has managed to find between East and West. Since its independence from the Soviet Union it has served in several capacities: As a conduit for China’s economic ambitions, a key Russian ally as well as a friendly nation for the United States and European Union. Not anymore, Jennifer Brick Murtazashvili, a Central Asia expert at the University of Pittsburgh, told Foreign Policy. “I think it’s a huge blow to Kazakshtan’s sovereignty, and it really alters the balance of power in the region,” Brick Murtazashvili said.

The CSTO deployment will also be a test of Tokayev as he seeks to come out of the shadow of long-time leader Nursultan Nazarbayev. “I’ll be looking at how the local security forces respond to the Russian troops that are coming in,” Brick Murtazashvili said. “Are they going to be loyal to Tokayev? You’re asking them to be loyal to this new person who’s taken over, and the first thing he does is bring in foreigners.”
https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/01/07/wh ... or-russia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic