Tada waterfall and "ZOO" in Cambodia: a natural disaster!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Tada waterfall and "ZOO" in Cambodia: a natural disaster!

Post by Anchor Moy »

Came across this video on fb. Was posted yesterday. Words fail me. Has anyone been here ?
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Tada waterfall and "ZOO" in Cambodia: a natural disaster!

Post by Chad Sexington »

Absolutely horrendous!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Perhaps the "hero" misunderstood the meaning of 'concrete jungle'.

Anyway, we're probably jumping the gun with the criticisms. Just wait until Snow White is joined by Mickey, Donald and Goofy, and they get the rest of the cement animals delivered. Imagine the savings on food costs by having cement animals rather than real ones anyway.

Just you wait and see, the Chinese tourists will be flocking there in droves. They'll love it! 🙃
Fewa Tel
Tourist
Nepal

Post by Fewa Tel »

I visited Tada Falls, in 2016. It was a place of natural beauty and tranquillity,
I fortunately was able to experience the invigoration of the pure forest water, in a reasonably undisturbed setting.
The above video is disturbing and fills me with sorrow, and makes me wonder how authority in Cambodia has deviated
from their Buddhist culture of , compassion towards all living things, to one of laziness, greed, and cruelty.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Went there many years ago. Almost all major/known waterfalls in Cambodia are like that. In their defense, they're not designed for western tourists, they're for locals (though they probably assume we enjoy it as well). Yes it's ugly, yes there's no nature, yes it's tacky, yes it's full of litter... You won't be able to change any of it.

The mentality is completely different, and most of these start off as a small place for locals to have beers at. They then add cement walkways and stuff like that to "ease access". They don't really understand that keeping it natural actually helps with the beauty. A well planned, designed and thought-out natural tourism spot could still make it easy for grandma to access and still preserve the natural scenery, but I've never really seen one here. They're always a bit of a hodgepodge collection of shitty stuff. Even when there's serious money involved it turns out disastrous (think Bokor), so it's not really a financial thing. You have to remember that for 95%, it's the only type of tourism spot they've ever known. If they enjoy it, who cares? I just hope the trash and zoos eventually stop. Only those who have lived/travelled abroad more extensively know that there are better ways. Sadly, they're rarely the decision makers.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

what a bloody disgrace .. that is just so sad .
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

These people seem to be enjoying it.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pretty pathetic waterfall. It's vids like this that make me glad I don't bother travelling or visiting these places. Nothing so far has made me feel it was worth the effort, not even that derelict pile near Siem Reap.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

It’s always been like that but not as bad plus it was probably the weekend so very busy.
I often see these videos or pictures of outraged westerners, often after a big national holiday or for example after the Thai market in Kampot, when there’s bucket loads of rubbish strewn around. Two days later all gone and not a peep out of the “disgusted” OP.

It’s just the way it is. Accept it or be driven mad.

I notice the guy who posted that has just arrived and is a videographer. I hope that’s not his best work!
I also wonder if he picked any trash up after…doubtful.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

So much water going to waste. they should put a dam across and make electricity .
Spoiler:
for the benefit of the country and the people
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic