18Yo Boy Arrested Trafficking 24Kgs of "Ice" in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: 18Yo Boy Arrested Trafficking 24Kgs of "Ice" in Phnom Penh

Post by ItWasntMe »

Sambodia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:59 am
The Judge wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:40 pm What I continue to not understand is who the hell is giving an (in this case) 18 year old punk that amount of drugs to traffick? What's the street value of that??
Around 100k USD
And the production cost? I think that is more significant.

Once you have factory production is cheap. The difficult part is moving it. Losing a couple of kilos means literally nothing. A 1000kg and you've wasted a significant amount of work hours but still doesn't matter in the long run.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:41 am
The Judge wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:40 pm What I continue to not understand is who the hell is giving an (in this case) 18 year old punk that amount of drugs to traffick? What's the street value of that??
Around 100k USD

Once you have factory production is cheap. The difficult part is moving it. Losing a couple of kilos means literally nothing. A 1000kg and you've wasted a significant amount of work hours but still doesn't matter in the long run.
Production cost is very cheap, ice is not like heroin where you need farmers/organic materials, its purely made from chemicals. It would cost the United Wa Army in Wa State, Myanmar <$500/kg to make it at scale, but that's not what's relevant here. Its not the producers in Myanmar trafficking the dope in 24kg increments through cambodia. The person who trafficked this amount would be 2-5 levels in the value chain removed from the producers. Believe the figure i quoted is a realistic number for wholesale traffickers in Cambodia
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Sambodia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:09 am
Around 100k USD

Production cost is very cheap, ice is not like heroin where you need farmers/organic materials, its purely made from chemicals. It would cost the United Wa Army in Wa State, Myanmar <$500/kg to make it at scale, but that's not what's relevant here. Its not the producers in Myanmar trafficking the dope in 24kg increments through cambodia. The person who trafficked this amount would be 2-5 levels in the value chain removed from the producers. Believe the figure i quoted is a realistic number for wholesale traffickers in Cambodia
Good points :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am
Around 100k USD

What makes you think it's come from the golden triangle, it would most definitely at one time, but I am not overly convinced that is the case now. In fact, I would think it was made here, why do people want to risk the long journey. Also, heroin from the golden triangle is still the bigger seller around SE Asia.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:13 pm

Around 100k USD

What makes you think it's come from the golden triangle, it would most definitely at one time, but I am not overly convinced that is the case now. In fact, I would think it was made here, why do people want to risk the long journey. Also, heroin from the golden triangle is still the bigger seller around SE Asia.
Check the statistics put out by the UN office of drugs and crime (UNODC) or other sources, read a book on the subject or spend some time in the industry and you will become overly convinced that almost all of the ice and heroin in Cambodia, Thailand, China, Australia, etc. Is produced in the lawless rebel controlled areas of eastern Myanmar. Cambodia does not produce a significant amount. The reason you risk the journey is economies of scale in the production process, that is they make it cheaper and higher quality than what you could do on your own. Its the same reason why all the meth in the US is now made in Mexico
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Sambodia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:29 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:13 pm

Check the statistics put out by the UN office of drugs and crime (UNODC) or other sources, read a book on the subject or spend some time in the industry and you will become overly convinced that almost all of the ice and heroin in Cambodia, Thailand, China, Australia, etc. Is produced in the lawless rebel controlled areas of eastern Myanmar. Cambodia does not produce a significant amount. The reason you risk the journey is economies of scale in the production process, that is they make it cheaper and higher quality than what you could do on your own. Its the same reason why all the meth in the US is now made in Mexico
Well of course, and it is produced in the area where you quote, and Cambodia has always been a distribution centre to move the drugs to other countries.
25% of the world's opium is still produced in Myanmar and is also the basis for heroin manufacture. The country is also the largest producer of methamphetamines (ice) in the world, with also the large process, but cheaper comparison of Yaba tablets found mainly supplying the youth of Thailand. But just has the chemists (let's call them) having been sought for, to make Meth in Myanmar's labs situated in the area Golden Triangle and northeastern Shan State, being under control of that are controlled by officials of the military and rebel fighters. Considering that at this time, and what we have seen with the few larger drug busts of late in Cambodia, it would not be untrue to say that there has been evidence of manufacturer on larger scales then seen beforehand in Cambodia. It all depends on supply and demand, and whom may be involved in this, because raw materials can be supplied with shipping just has easily has the drugs are supplied to the customers.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic