fabulous PHABLET - who has?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
ryoon
Expatriate

Re: phablet - who has?

Post by ryoon »

potty wrote:im still wondering, how one can install Microsoft office on this stuff...

would they do this in an apple store?

how much?

with the asus eee I have 12.1 inch, it could be a little smaller, but not sure about 5.5 inch for surfing etc...
I bought a note 10.1 second hand for 300$ best buy ever almost
stop using my phone (you can use a cell card with this one).
With samsung phone and tablet you can buy connector with USB port. With this you can plug keyboard and mouse.
With Apple you have to use bluetooth keyboard and mouth which are rather expensive (especially for the foldable model), and not very widspread. Meaning that you will need to have your own as finding one where ever you go will probably not be realistic.
Bluetooth is also a drain on the battery.
Personnaly I bought a bluetooth keyboard cover for my note but stop using it , one it is too thick and two the keyboard is not very responsive can be use for writting one or two mail but more than this and it began bothersome.
I buy a 15$ small keyboard instead that I can easily take with me for travel.
I do not know for apple but with android you can use openoffice which is free and allow to open and save document in windows office format.

Using my note, keyboard and openoffice I have quite an inexpensive work station.

I had to spend three days without my computer using my note and keyboard and it work like a charm, working with a laptop would have been more confortable of course but not that much.

I know people who use bluetooth keyboard on the iphone 6 but the do not writte anything more complicated than short email.

Hope that help
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: fabulous PHABLET - who has?

Post by Joker Poker »

Excuse me for not keeping up, but isn't a swag what you sleep in when you camp out bush? Or has the meaning changed since I've been in PP and it now means something else?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:Excuse me for not keeping up, but isn't a swag what you sleep in when you camp out bush? Or has the meaning changed since I've been in PP and it now means something else?
That, or freshies are the new breed of swagman.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

i think i will stick with windows and standard Microsoft stuff...

first, they sweat so much to develop that "app" stuff, so that everyone can with their big fingers start applications, and now they hand out "stylos" again ? :roll:

that apple and android stuff is too much fuss... maybe, when you can get easily wifi-connected, but if there are problems, and there are always, I would be lost.

also, I need all office functions, no discussion about any open half-baked software...

for a phone, I would like something small and round, won't run around staring permanently onto such a brick in the hand... am too old for that... :roll:
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

thanks everyone! was very enlightening... :beer:
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Well you can try openoffice on your PC first it is free.
I would not qualify it as half baked solution it has been on the market for quite a long time, and many company use it.
Personally I am using only that now, but I do not do anything very complicated and do not have to do work in a team, I know people working in company who tried it and for whom it was not working so well.
As for working on a phone me I cannot do it, the screen is way to small, the stylus is also quite limited in function IMO. The note 10.1 have one and I almost never use it, when I does it is more for fun than real application.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

potty wrote:
for a phone, I would like something small and round, won't run around staring permanently onto such a brick in the hand... am too old for that... :roll:
I would look into a second hand iphone then 4 or 5.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

OpenOffice is rubbish. Nothing compares to M$ Office in terms of ease of use and power.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Digg3r wrote:OpenOffice is rubbish. Nothing compares to M$ Office in terms of ease of use and power.
Certainly OpenOffice is not on the same league as Office, like an 200$ android phone is not on the same league spec wise as an iphone 6.

The question is do you make an usage that necessitate Office over OpenOffice, in my case the answer is no for the OP I have no idea. If you work in an office were everybody is Office or if you need integration with other software the answer is probably yes.

The point is that OpenOffice is free and work on all platform including Android, so there is not harm in testing it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic