Best areas to stay for 2 weeks in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nndavid
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Best areas to stay for 2 weeks in Phnom Penh?

Post by nndavid »

yankeesnlakers wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:38 am
nndavid wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:34 pm Speaking of St 178, just checked in to the Hyatt Regency yesterday. Got a good long-stay rate on a small suite - thanks to COVID, I guess! Occupancy is about 40 in a 247 room, new hotel, I'm told. Wonderful property.

Apparently, official opening is on in the morning (15 Dec) and we are locked in till noon, as SAMSPTHS will be popping in (sure you can work that acronym out!) :)
How did you get such a good rate? Do you have a contact/info that I can connect with to get those rates? I am seeing 150+ on Google for the Hyatt Regency. on PP.
Sent you a PM
nndavid
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by nndavid »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:05 am
nndavid wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:34 pm Speaking of St 178, just checked in to the Hyatt Regency yesterday. Got a good long-stay rate on a small suite - thanks to COVID, I guess! Occupancy is about 40 in a 247 room, new hotel, I'm told. Wonderful property.
Well don't say you weren't warned. 178 and 19 is ground zero. 8-)
Thanks for the heads-up. I will try and head away from that and towards the Riversidee when on 178!
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Thanks for the heads-up. I will try and head away from that and towards the Riversidee when on 178!

You'll pass right by that intersection while taking 178 to the riverside.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

OP can always get a Grab car to/from 178 to the bar area for $1.
I'm not sure that 178/19 is especially dangerous now (apart from crossing street 19 of course!) The street lighting has improved in many such places that used to be dodgy.
The main thing is not to get your phone out, and if you have to do so then keep it out of snatching reach of any passing moto. And don't carry big sums of cash. Use Grab cars after 11pm. The later it gets, the more dangerous it gets, especially anywhere devoid of people. As OP said, keep all valuables in the room safe when you have a guest in the room. But don't leave a lot of cash in the safe when you go out.
It would be great to stay at the new Hyatt, everything will be new and pristine. I did the tour there but they wanted $2000+ per month for an apartment.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

yankeesnlakers wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:27 am
Gazzy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:05 am

Apparently, official opening is on in the morning (15 Dec) and we are locked in till noon, as SAMSPTHS will be popping in (sure you can work that acronym out!) :)
How did you get such a good rate? Do you have a contact/info that I can connect with to get those rates? I am seeing 150+ on Google for the Hyatt Regency. on PP.
He's clearly not keen to share, bs, I suspect. Did you decide on a place yet?
Yeah so I decided to rent an apartment at the bridge. The layout doesnt bother me and if a tuk tuk drive is 10-15 mins everywhere for any kind of nightlife I'd rather live in an apartment than an hotel room where I can have more privacy and can bring guests without having to show id, etc.

Sticking with the nightlife motif, can someone from the VIP Nightlife invite me to that private space? I need some guidance on PP more... err... seedier aspects. Let me know if it is against the rules to ask this way and I will delete this last part of my post lol
[/quote
How is the Bridge working out? Someone else is looking for a place.
yankeesnlakers
Tourist

Post by yankeesnlakers »

Gazzy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:06 am
yankeesnlakers wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:27 am
Gazzy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:05 am

He's clearly not keen to share, bs, I suspect. Did you decide on a place yet?
Yeah so I decided to rent an apartment at the bridge. The layout doesnt bother me and if a tuk tuk drive is 10-15 mins everywhere for any kind of nightlife I'd rather live in an apartment than an hotel room where I can have more privacy and can bring guests without having to show id, etc.

Sticking with the nightlife motif, can someone from the VIP Nightlife invite me to that private space? I need some guidance on PP more... err... seedier aspects. Let me know if it is against the rules to ask this way and I will delete this last part of my post lol
[/quote
How is the Bridge working out? Someone else is looking for a place.
DONT go to the bridge. It smells and it's full of Chinese mainlanders that are loud and fight. I noped out after my first night.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

yankeesnlakers wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:46 pm DONT go to the bridge. It smells and it's full of Chinese mainlanders that are loud and fight. I noped out after my first night.
It's not their fault, it's just because there are a lot more of them here than any other nationality. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:51 pm I'm just saying it like it is. It's been affected more than any other area by the lack of tourists and has decayed. There is a lot of crime there and it attracts vagrants and drug-addicts.
It doesn't mean it can't recover, but I've heard that some very important people don't like how it has been and want to develop much of it, which is hardly a big surprise. Some of these people own blocks along there.
I don't live in that area, I did live on 102 in 2006 though and nearby Wat Botum in 2007.
I think you're right which makes street 178 a strange location selection for a brand new 5-star luxury hotel. 178 between riverside and 19 is perhaps the most aggressive open air drug market in PP (at least catering to foreigners), not a lot of luxurious accommodations/restaurants in that area. Perhaps the hotel developers share your views about potential future development
Sambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sambodia »

[/quote]

DONT go to the bridge. It smells and it's full of Chinese mainlanders that are loud and fight. I noped out after my first night.
[/quote]

There's also a lot of illicit prostitution and drug activity at the bridge. Believe some of the illegal activity has been publicized in the news
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic