Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving to Phnom Penh and teaching English?

Post by yongchi »

The OP was posting in Questions & Answers, looking for advice on "moving to PP and teaching English."
joey.mike wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:00 am Hello,
I have recently been considering a move to Cambodia. I have enough money to survive for a year or so, but after my money runs out I'll be needing a job. From what I understand a lot of native English speakers find jobs teaching in Cambodia.
I am wondering about the experience of those still living in Cambodia regarding the current job market in education? Has covid effected the ability of native speakers to move there and find a job? Do I need either a bachelor's degree or a TEFL certification to find a job?
Any advice would be very helpful, thank you.
Now he has gotten the complete manual on the concerns some of us have with the schools and education in Cambodia.

Maybe there is some good in him being aware of this, but we can also give him a hand.

He has to start somewhere. (In all likelihood it is not going to be at a first-rate international school at $5K+ per month.)
@Khmu Nation has recommended the CELTA and given encouragement.

I'd like to add this:
A couple of months ago, there was no more job market here because of COVID. Friends of mine who were teaching had to take a 50% pay cut and many had to go home. Now schools are opening up again, and I hope for the best. (But they could be ordered to close again.)
You have a year of savings. That's not bad. Protect your $$ as much as you can.
If you come to work here try to find a job as soon as possible. Don't wait and use this as a fallback option. Use your savings as a fallback option.

Maybe someone who is much more in the know about the current job market than me can comment further?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

joey.mike wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:00 am Hello,
I have recently been considering a move to Cambodia. I have enough money to survive for a year or so, but after my money runs out I'll be needing a job. From what I understand a lot of native English speakers find jobs teaching in Cambodia.
I am wondering about the experience of those still living in Cambodia regarding the current job market in education? Has covid effected the ability of native speakers to move there and find a job? Do I need either a bachelor's degree or a TEFL certification to find a job?
Any advice would be very helpful, thank you.
Wow, folks get excited when the old "Can I teach English?" question gets posted (yet again).

Anywayz, if you're a native speaker of English, you can pretty much get some kind of English teaching job in most any "developing country" in the world. Cambodia is one such "developing country". Like most fields, the more qualifications/experience/confidence/personality you have, the better your pay and conditions.

What you want to do is directly research the schools, find their websites and facebook pages, and check out some job ads. This is how you get info about the current job market concerning what they want, what they offer and what kind of jobs are available. "Teaching English" includes a range of situations from dancing the hokey-pokey with pre-school kids to government unis to corporate classes at IBM to private lessons with Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

For example, at the bottom of this website, there is a Help Wanted forum that has a few recent ads for teachers. Check the old ones too:

help-wanted/

Basically, you want to get the names of schools and their contact info, see some photos, etc. If you're on Facebook, look for groups like these:

Teaching Jobs in Cambodia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/427370017824475

English Teaching Job Notice Board in Phnom Penh
https://www.facebook.com/groups/547498175642590

Once you're ready to jump in, get your resume/CV together and start contacting schools.

You should keep mind that Cambodia is one of the lowest-paying countries in the world for TEFLers, so you should look at opportunities in other countries as well.

Finally, this site provides a lot of useful info about teaching online, which has become a huge market:

https://www.goodairlanguage.com
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cleaned this topic up. OP is a new member seeking advice under 'Ask the expats' about teaching in Cambodia. With the discussion drifting off into discussions about Eton et al it just wasn't helpful anymore.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic